Sponsored by:

Hawkeye Overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2022, 05:19 PM
J70DDO
Scooby Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hawkeye Overheating issue

Took the car out for a run yesterday temperature gauge decided to go all over the place…
Noticed a water running sound in the passenger footwell on the run.

it’s been sat for a little while but has been started and brought up to temperature once a month with no issues.

Engine is build by TDR with RCM studs and a stopper gasket so not expecting head gasket to be the issue

2006 Hawkeye STI

Any suggestions would be appreciated👍

Old 06 February 2022, 05:30 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Have you done the basic checks? Top coolant reservoir full to top? Wet footwell carpet? Rad and expansion tank levels?
Old 06 February 2022, 06:50 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

how do you mean temp gauge all over the place , do you mean quickly or over the drive it was showing slowly going cold to hot , did temp gauge show over heating , simple stuff first is it the gauge or the sender as that’s the cheapest place to start , how many miles since re build is it running a lot of boost , bhp figure ? 😁
Old 06 February 2022, 07:15 PM
J70DDO
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Have you done the basic checks? Top coolant reservoir full to top? Wet footwell carpet? Rad and expansion tank levels?
Expansion tank was a little low so topped it up, I’ve Bled the coolant system 4 times now…

Footwells dry, I’m thinking it’s an airlock that it’s struggling to burp, weird that it’s just happened after sitting.
Old 06 February 2022, 07:23 PM
J70DDO
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
how do you mean temp gauge all over the place , do you mean quickly or over the drive it was showing slowly going cold to hot , did temp gauge show over heating , simple stuff first is it the gauge or the sender as that’s the cheapest place to start , how many miles since re build is it running a lot of boost , bhp figure ? 😁
Sitting at 30-40 mph the temp gauge was up and down like a yo-yo between where I’d expect it (just below half) and 2/3s.

Its on a safe map from TDR I think it was around the 350 mark, had a mishimoto radiator and fans fitted around 2 years ago so not expecting radiator to be at fault either

Really frustrating I love the car but there seems to be something wrong with it almost every time I bring it out…

Old 06 February 2022, 09:47 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

if you are sure it’s not the sensor , i try and bleed the coolant system with the front of the car facing up hill , i stick the car heater on hot , start with engine cold top up as you need to , when it’s bubbling out of the cap then it’s getting rid of air , im hoping it is not something major 👍
Old 07 February 2022, 08:48 AM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Definitely need to squeeze the top and bottom rad hoses when it’s running! I had an airlock, squeezed the rad hoses and you could see the air bubbles bubbling up. Cured it after that
Old 07 February 2022, 04:56 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Are you by any chance using the Mishimoto cap on the radiator? According to Mishimoto you shouldn't use the included cap on the radiator as it's a two way valve and the original is one way which can cause overheating. Why they include it with the radiator then I have no idea but that's what they say.
Old 07 February 2022, 07:40 PM
J70DDO
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by RockyRoad
Are you by any chance using the Mishimoto cap on the radiator? According to Mishimoto you shouldn't use the included cap on the radiator as it's a two way valve and the original is one way which can cause overheating. Why they include it with the radiator then I have no idea but that's what they say.
Theres two mishimoto caps on it one on the radiator and one on the header tank.

where did you hear that? I’ve got a good mind to complain to them if that’s the case!
Old 07 February 2022, 07:43 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J70DDO
Theres two mishimoto caps on it one on the radiator and one on the header tank.

where did you hear that? I’ve got a good mind to complain to them if that’s the case!
It's on their own website. Sounds like you need to get yourself a stock radiator (make sure it's a radiator and not the header tank) cap. It's pretty crap on their part. Especially for people like me with the Bugeye that don't have radiator caps as standard so need to buy a new one despite one being included.
Old 07 February 2022, 07:49 PM
J70DDO
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by RockyRoad
It's on their own website. Sounds like you need to get yourself a stock radiator (make sure it's a radiator and not the header tank) cap. It's pretty crap on their part. Especially for people like me with the Bugeye that don't have radiator caps as standard so need to buy a new one despite one being included.
yeah, just searched it what a joke!
I’ll order a cap now fingers crossed 🤞
Old 07 February 2022, 08:16 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

"The provided Mishimoto radiator cap should replace the stock cap located on the expansion tank. The stock cap attached to the radiator should be installed on the Mishimoto Performance Aluminum Radiator. The Mishimoto radiator cap is a two way valve, while the stock radiator cap is a single valve. Due to the difference in construction, the Mishimoto cap cannot be used on the radiator. If the Mishimoto cap is fit on the radiator, overheating may occur."

found this on this site 👍
Old 07 February 2022, 08:26 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
"The provided Mishimoto radiator cap should replace the stock cap located on the expansion tank. The stock cap attached to the radiator should be installed on the Mishimoto Performance Aluminum Radiator. The Mishimoto radiator cap is a two way valve, while the stock radiator cap is a single valve. Due to the difference in construction, the Mishimoto cap cannot be used on the radiator. If the Mishimoto cap is fit on the radiator, overheating may occur."

found this on this site 👍
Yep that's what I was referring to. They'd have been much better off just not including a cap and definitely should not be sending it already fitted to the radiator!
Old 15 February 2022, 04:41 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Strangely enough I have had similar after my 06 WRX has been sitting for a while, get a gurgling sound of water from the glovebox area and the fan cutting in very early when in traffic. Don't get a lot of needle travel but it does start to raise. Also, this may be unrelated, but I have noticed that the inside car heater seems to think its blowing warm air but it isn't. Checked the coolant levels and topped up rad and expansion tank and it seems to have sorted the problem.