Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Blobeye or To Hawkeye, that is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2015, 03:24 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default To Blobeye or To Hawkeye, that is the question.

After 8 fantastic years in my bugeye wagon I'm thinking of moving up the chain to either a Blob Sti or Hawkeye (Sti or PPP at least). I'd be greatful if anyone can advise on what to look out for when viewing, and equally important, what common faults to be aware of. I understand on Hawkeyes that head gaskets can be an issue (would I be able to tell from a visual inspection - I read somewhere on here that it's not always the case of water mixing with oil); and I've also read that the secondary air pump sticking is also an issue? Any advice would be invaluable and greatly appreciated.
Old 07 February 2015, 04:07 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know the bad points on the hawkeye already, so I think you know which one is the sensible choice!!!

I had a hawk STi and had no problems, but there is lots of threads on here regarding the 2.5 engine, so take your chance if its what you really want, but dont go in thinking it wont happen to you.
Old 07 February 2015, 04:09 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't forget after March 2006 (if I remember right) is higher £500 a year tax
Old 08 February 2015, 09:27 AM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Having had both, a 2006 hawk sti from new and kept it for 7 years (now wish I'd never sold it) and more recently a widetrack 2005 blob, For me it would be the hawk every time.

The 2.5 is a cracking unit when mapped (mine was JGM mapped, decat etc to 360/390. It made for an awesome road car with virtually no lag. The downside is obviously head gasket problems they have (I was lucky and never had a days trouble).

The blob (2005 sti) was great too but somehow just felt 'older'. The dash isn't as nice as the hawk has the sweeping dials and I would say the hawk felt better insulated (may just be my imagination or the fact that my hawk was new when I got it).

Personally I think with either you could run into engine issues as a blob is now 10 years old and the hawk 8 or 9 so both will need maintaining and repairing/rebuilding at sometime.

I personally prefer the look of the hawk once it's got a splitter etc.

I would drive both mate and see what you think.

Last edited by Luckyscoob; 08 February 2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08 February 2015, 01:11 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
You know the bad points on the hawkeye already, so I think you know which one is the sensible choice!!!

I had a hawk STi and had no problems, but there is lots of threads on here regarding the 2.5 engine, so take your chance if its what you really want, but dont go in thinking it wont happen to you.
But by the same notion don't assume it's an inevitability, just because the Internet says it's an issue doesn't mean the head gasket will fail and the pistons will melt as soon as you start it.
Old 08 February 2015, 01:13 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neil-h
But by the same notion don't assume it's an inevitability, just because the Internet says it's an issue doesn't mean the head gasket will fail and the pistons will melt as soon as you start it.
But ignoring well known Issues makes you an idiot.
If you are aware it's a well known problem then be prepared for a large bill
Old 08 February 2015, 01:50 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

You could always look out for a JDM or a forged 2.5, they do come up for sale every now and again.

The Hawk is definitely the better looking car of the two.
Old 09 February 2015, 05:10 PM
big_jim
Scooby Regular

I hated the hawk when it first come out. Now I'm really starting to like it. Only thing putting me off is the £500 tax.
Old 10 February 2015, 05:03 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm really torn between the two for obvious reasons. I've seen a nice Hawkeye GB270 but it could be a gamble since it's a standard engine; conversely I've seen a nice Blob Sti but its 11yrs old. Part of me says go for the Hawk because it's newer, but part of me says go for the blob because of the "safer" engine. Aaaarrrggghhhh !
Old 11 February 2015, 12:55 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

I don't believe the WRX engine (which the GB270 is with PPP) had the same issues. It was the Sti's that suffered. Not sure 100% why, something to do with the map, but I am sure that's the case.