Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Sports cat downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2001, 09:37 AM
Pieman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Anyone out there got a GGR downpipe with sports cat?
Old 08 August 2001, 02:02 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Have you? i enquired at ggr about there exhaust systems, spoke to a guy called alistair, seemed to know his stuff, there system sounds pretty good as all the cats taken out and afree flow sports cat in place, seems like less fuss at mot time, they said they had a skyline with 500bhp and it still passes emisions test, let me know if you have i would be interested in hearing
Old 08 August 2001, 09:15 AM
Pieman
Scooby Regular

Talking

Lee,

I haven't got one...yet, but I was thinking of getting one. The idea of no-faffing come MOT really appeals.
Also, I've already got PPP and ITG filter, and I'm worrried that a full de-cat system might put the engine under a bit to much stress. The GGR Sports cat system seemed like a sensible compromise.
Old 08 August 2001, 09:27 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

sports cats are kewl.

But if I was going to have one (which I do) I would have it in place in the centre section and not the downpipe (which I do).

It does still place a restriction, and one in the downpipe wll affect turbo spool up more than one in the centre section. Of course it will not be as hot there, so wont heat up as quickly, but just make sure the car is warm before they do an mot test!
Old 08 August 2001, 10:08 AM
markd
Scooby Regular

Red face

how much did it cost adam ? purchase from where ? is it a lot better then original centre? and how much of a drive in car do you have to do to pass mot...mark
Old 08 August 2001, 11:13 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Not much to heat the thing, about five to ten minutes should easily get it to full temp. Other option is wait till oil is hot, then go for a hard blast.

Mine is a BPMit came with the twister, and increased the pirce of the whole system by a whopping £33 . I was going to avoid it but thought for the sake of it why not.

I believe Power Engineering sell their own version.
Old 08 August 2001, 11:19 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

You can also have a group N cat welded into the mid-section....not as cheap as the £33 BPM solution though, but cheaper than PE's.

I'm currently running with the OE centre (small cat) on my ppp'ed my00 with SS d/p and induction mods. It passes the Swiss emmissions check....but I don't know how this compares to the UK MOT test.

Richard
Old 08 August 2001, 01:57 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Hi pierman how do u find the ppp on the car? and why would you want to change the pd system as im still toying wwith idea of ppp versus induction and sports cat system from ggr. there doesnt seem alot of diffrence in the dyno readings but i suppose the torque on the ppp makes a sh+t load of differance, same ith the ss stems on standard cars seem to have quite abit of punch, on a trackday there was scoob there with full decat and filter and i couldnt catch it in a straight line, there was other standard cars which were evenly matched so it wasnt my car. ceers Lee
Old 08 August 2001, 02:37 PM
Pieman
Scooby Regular

Talking

Lee,
PPP is great! My previous Scoob was standard and there's a big difference. Torque at low revs is the key - less need to change down, less need for high revs.

Adam,
I thought the biggest restriction to turbo spool-up was the flange design not the cat? Hence GGR system with sports cat still claims to offer 10bhp over standard. (Although a fully de-cat will offer 15bhp+)
Old 09 August 2001, 10:20 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Pieman,

I have always been told that the "normal" cat is the biggest restriction. Obviously a sports cat by your reckoning is only costing 5 bhp, which is not the same.

All I am saying is that even with a sports cat, I would rather it was in the midsection than the downpipe. If you are going to change the downpipe, be it to a sports catted version or not, it is liklely the flange design is an improvement anyway (except HKS). So it is safe to assume that improvement has already been realised. in this case it is how to extract that little bit more.