ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

GC8 water ingress help

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2021, 11:11 PM
JoeyBoyden
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GC8 water ingress help

Has anyone experienced water ingress through what appears to be some sort of fuel filler neck seal and what did you do to sort it? There’s a fair bit of surface corrosion appearing inside the boot as a result and I would like to stop it before it ends up dissolving…I’ve checked all the inside arch and strut towers and they’re all solid, this leak also happens on the passenger side albeit looks like it’s coming through one of the flaps near the jack. I’ve attached some photos where you can see the damp patch and the seal which is also damp looking. Anyone any pointers?

Old 07 December 2021, 11:19 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

A few places to check mate, the seals around the rear lights, boot seal and when you take the bumper off there are vents on the body seen a post where that was an issue. Also saw a post on a newage where the rear screen sealant was starting to deteriorate.
Old 07 December 2021, 11:50 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

as above and the rear spoiler , my money is on rear lights first , if you struggle to find it, as posted previously can some one be in the boot as another sprays the car with a hose pipe , the rear light leak was my issue some one had changed a bulb and not put it back properly 👍
Old 07 December 2021, 12:09 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Remove the lining were the jack is and the same the other side. Reach down as far as you can and check for water. If there is there is two little plastic grommets under the car which pop out and need cleaning out. It's not the cause but at least the water can escape.
Old 07 December 2021, 08:04 PM
JoeyBoyden
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies, water does seem to be coming in through those vents where the bumper is. Had a crack at getting the bumper off last week and one of the captives has spun so will have to have another look. Water does seem to be coming in from around the fuel filler neck location aswell though as you can see in the pictures, not sure how best to treat this area?

Rear lights could also be a source for the issue as someone has retro fitted a set of sti lights so it’s possible they haven’t been sealed correctly.