Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Suggest some tools, torque wrench etc, anything u can think of to work on a scooby.

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2021, 06:11 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Suggest some tools, torque wrench etc, anything u can think of to work on a scooby.

With threads being a bit thin on the ground, i need to update my tools so i can do a bit of work on my scooby myself, anything that's beyond me it will go somewhere like Chevron Motorsport or TDR etc.

I have a decent toolkit setip but its not really been geared up for working on a car myself, can you recommend a good digital toqrue wrench, some digital Vernier calipers, basically anything you can think that would be handy to have that i may not already have that would come in handy for working on a scooby, some links would be great if poss.

Thanks
Old 27 November 2021, 06:59 PM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Can't remember the size but I once got spark plug socket stuck in sparkplug hole as the hole tapers down.
took a while to get back out.
22mm spanner for front 02 sensor.
I also needed to buy the irwin nut removal tool for soft rounded turbo bolts.
Old 27 November 2021, 07:41 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

have 8 years Torque wrenches and spanners set from bq
prefer to use halfords advance tools in trays -ratchet spanners,impact sockets,extensions,screwdrivers
halfords advance torque wrench is good
for wheels, brakes and suspension job I added dewalt 899n impact plus dewalt 1/2 inch drive 1/4m hex holder for caliper bolts etc
just bought for impact metric 1/2 drive hex set,looking for imperial ones to
tools to remove caliper pins,oil filter,sparks
trim removal tools etc
some 3 quid drills to remove broken bolts

Last edited by JdmSti2006; 27 November 2021 at 07:46 PM.
Old 27 November 2021, 08:21 PM
jason7579
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I found a bicycle specific torque wrench helpful for low torque items and it's shallow enough to reach the hard to get to bolts for rocker cover removal.
Old 27 November 2021, 08:45 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

I really like my Norbar torque wrenches. They're not the digital ones but I don't really see the need for digital. I've got a 1/4" that does up to 20nm (also useful for the push bikes I do a lot of work on), 3/8" between 10-60nm and a 1/2" that does between 50-250nm. 1/2" is by far the one I use the most. Halfords Advanced is a pretty safe bet for most hand tools and the lifetime warranty is really useful. I would consider a decent impact wrench a must nowadays with how good the cheaper electric options are. For removing rounded nuts I've got this set -
Blue Spot Tools 01539 Blue Spot Tools 01539
. They're surprisingly good and strong. I've run them on my impact and haven't broken one yet. Sometimes a set of decent mole grips is still needed. I like the Milwaukee ones as you can stick a screwdriver through the twisty bit and tighten them right down.

Although 99% of the bolts are metric, an imperial set of sockets/spanners can be good to have around for things like seatbelt bolts.
Old 27 November 2021, 11:12 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyRoad
They're not the digital ones but I don't really see the need for digital.
The only advantage I've found with them is that the good ones change tone as you near the desired torque so when you're wailing on the stuff that needs a high torque you're less likely to jump past it when it clicks. Is it a major thing? Absolutely not, and I like the solidity of a mechanical one, but when I've used them they have been quite nice. The Halfords Advanced ones are decent and have a great no quibble warranty too. The only thing I'd avoid is their non-impact socket set as it's multi point rather than 6 point so there's a higher risk of rounding out rusty bolts.
Old 27 November 2021, 11:20 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ST-X
The only advantage I've found with them is that the good ones change tone as you near the desired torque so when you're wailing on the stuff that needs a high torque you're less likely to jump past it when it clicks. Is it a major thing? Absolutely not, and I like the solidity of a mechanical one, but when I've used them they have been quite nice. The Halfords Advanced ones are decent and have a great no quibble warranty too. The only thing I'd avoid is their non-impact socket set as it's multi point rather than 6 point so there's a higher risk of rounding out rusty bolts.
Oh I know the advantages of digital wrenches, I should have been clearer and stated for most people mechanical ones are cheaper and do the job just fine. I would much rather have a good mechanical wrench than a cheapy digital. I find you get a feel for what certain torque settings are so when I'm getting close I'm already backing off ready for that click.

Totally agree regarding 12 point sockets except sometimes you do need a 12 point like engine bolts. I usually reach for a 6 point socket though and unless you know you're going to need a 12 point, just buy 6 points.
Old 28 November 2021, 10:05 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the posts so far, their are some great suggestions and things i wouldn't have thought of. I've searched the web and bookmarked quite a few of the suggestions as i know i'm going to need them, that Dewalt impact wrench https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc...nch-bare/3399j gets some great reviews, i know thats something i'll use quite a lot, the rounded bolt kit is another good one, i'll pop into Halfords and have a look at the Torque wrenches. I'm ok on the socket front along with spanners and a trim removal kit.

I know i need a good set of digital Vernier calipers if someone can link a good one at a reasonable price, a lot of them seem to be hit and miss on how accurate they are from amazon reviews i read etc.
Old 28 November 2021, 10:46 AM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Watch with the Dewalt (and in fact most power tools) they don't normally include batteries or a charger. Might be obvious to you but some do miss that fact then aren't very happy when they discover they need to spend another £100 or more for a battery and charger. My choice of impact is the Makita DTW285Z. It's nice and small to fit in those tight spots but still has enough power for all but the most stubborn of nuts. I've also got a DTD154Z which I use with a tiny battery for small bolts since it weighs almost nothing and a DTW1002Z for those nuts that nobody but Thor himself could shift. If I could only choose one it'd be the DTW285Z.

I use an Aldi special vernier caliper I got years ago. I figure if I actually need any more accuracy I should be using a micrometer. Can't say I'm not tempted by a nice set of Mitutoyo's though.
Old 28 November 2021, 12:02 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

for me( have 12v dewalt impact with one 18v/12v charger) if only one impact it will be 899n with 3/8 and 1/4 adaptors,it is a beast ,seen it for 129 but prices went up last week
If You go for bare tool buy it with case,i did not and not sure which case will be correct for 899n
Makita dtz1002z is a little better,stronger but costs 70 quid more on a time when i bought dewalt and i did not know adapter exist.
i have few 18v dewalt tools and 2 makita tools-some light and detailing polisher( did not like dewalt polisher and light was twice cheaper than dewalt),use all with dewalt batteries ,bought adapter for makita,its ok for light and occasional polisher usage
rounded bolt kit think i will take it ,will try to find 1/2 drive first

Last edited by JdmSti2006; 28 November 2021 at 07:25 PM.
Old 28 November 2021, 12:59 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

I've got a Dewalt Brushless drill, i have 2 power packs for it, would this power pack work with that Dewalt 899N Impact wrench ?

Last edited by The Joshua Tree; 28 November 2021 at 01:31 PM.
Old 28 November 2021, 06:37 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Haven't seen it mentioned but make sure you buy an impact driver that is adequate in nut busting torque, I have a milwaukee M18 that's almost useless at removing anything and is only good for quickly removing stuff that you've already loosened. Good for fastening like as it's one of those bluetooth ones where you can set the torque cut off.
Also a decent light for working under the car and maybe a creeper, lying under a car **** wet through on the wet floor surrounded by sharp bits of crap and rust you've dropped everywhere and having to shuffle out is unpleasant
Old 28 November 2021, 07:24 PM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Joshua Tree
I've got a Dewalt Brushless drill, i have 2 power packs for it, would this power pack work with that Dewalt 899N Impact wrench
Yes looks same like mine 5.0ah
899n has over 1600 breakaway torque for nuts/bolts removal
im in a process of discs and pads swap,waiting for a day with 8-10 degrees

Last edited by JdmSti2006; 29 November 2021 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03 December 2021, 01:31 AM
Gazza82
Scooby Newbie

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I’ve got the same impact gun for work, very good gun 👍

only downsides to it I find are that it can sometimes feel a bit heavy and clumsy to use but that’s due to the sheer power of it and you have to be careful when nipping things up as it’s very easy to overtighten things with it even when being gentle on the trigger. Set the speed/power switch to position 2 when nipping up as 3 is far too powerful. Don’t bother with position 1, it’s about as much use as an inflatable dartboard
The following users liked this post: