ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

modifying cars to be banned in the uk

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2021, 03:34 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default modifying cars to be banned in the uk

what a great country this is turning out to be............

Drivers warned of new car modification rules as they risk fines of up to £300 (msn.com)
Old 11 November 2021, 03:48 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

SIAL
Old 12 November 2021, 11:00 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

How would that even work. There's thousands of cars already modified. Like every Subaru lol
Old 12 November 2021, 11:14 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

It's just what the government want...stay at home, stay away from the NHS, lead dull lives.
Oh, but pay 1.25% more national insurance from April next year. Enjoy inflated fuel taxes and road taxes. Have a nice day Mr & Mrs Motorist.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hawkeye D:
Old 12 November 2021, 12:48 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

How do they do it in Australia. I've seen a police programme where the copper has a ruler measuring the height of the car from the floor and then impounding it.

Old 12 November 2021, 01:26 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

I watched one where they pulled a guy over who lowered his car by removing his suspension lol

Germany is a nightmare for engine mods.

My Dad's classic car never had seat belts from new, he's fitted some, would that fail

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
How do they do it in Australia. I've seen a police programme where the copper has a ruler measuring the height of the car from the floor and then impounding it.
Old 12 November 2021, 01:31 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

At risk of upsetting people, I don't think this is entirely a bad idea for modification laws to be reviewed. Now hear me out.

There are loads of cheap and crappy mods out there, one look at ebay tells you all you need to know. Also think about how many times you hear of someone's XXR's exploding when hitting even the most minor pot holes. How do we know that those products are safe or fit for purpose? In most industries manufacturers are required to comply with certain standards in order to gain the official CE mark but this is not present on lots of aftermarket car parts.
These products are not safety tested to any standard so the companies can basically sell any old rubbish.

Now take a look at Germany where modifications are allowed but must be TUV approved, a way of providing proof that there are suitable for the use intended. This seems like a more sensible approach to me and puts the onus on the manufacturers to build a quality product.

So if the government decided to move towards certifying modifications (not banning them entirely), then I'd be in favour.

Okay, so I'm now ready for the onslaught!
Old 12 November 2021, 01:41 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by adam.pah
At risk of upsetting people, I don't think this is entirely a bad idea for modification laws to be reviewed. Now hear me out.

There are loads of cheap and crappy mods out there, one look at ebay tells you all you need to know. Also think about how many times you hear of someone's XXR's exploding when hitting even the most minor pot holes. How do we know that those products are safe or fit for purpose? In most industries manufacturers are required to comply with certain standards in order to gain the official CE mark but this is not present on lots of aftermarket car parts.
These products are not safety tested to any standard so the companies can basically sell any old rubbish.

Now take a look at Germany where modifications are allowed but must be TUV approved, a way of providing proof that there are suitable for the use intended. This seems like a more sensible approach to me and puts the onus on the manufacturers to build a quality product.

So if the government decided to move towards certifying modifications (not banning them entirely), then I'd be in favour.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12 November 2021, 02:09 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

it's inevitable, hopefully takes a long time to play out.
Old 12 November 2021, 03:51 PM
Shane
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

You've only got to look at what's happening in the US with the EPA fining small tuners big money for selling products that are capable of bypassing emissions control systems, I think Brent at PFI Speed was hit with an $18k fine while the guy from Diesel Brothers was hit with a 6 figure fine. They appear to be targeting the smaller, independent resellers rather than companies like Holley and Haltech.
Old 12 November 2021, 04:54 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I think you have been lucky for a while in the UK with what kind of mods you can get away with, decat friendly garages that let you pass MOT without a functioning cat etc. Removing the catalytic converter has probably been forbidden since they first came in Sweden, with one exception of model year 88A which required the cat to still be fitted if the car had one from factory but the emissions requirements isn't as tough as for a 88B and forwards. Technically you can't even use an open blow off valve here as it counts as an open crankcase ventilation, it may cause a registration inspection which in worse case requires all mods to be removed and for the manufacturer to verify that everything is stock, which in most cases is impossible and resulting in a car that you no longer can use on the road. Fitting a FMIC can be enough too. You can register the car with another engine, gearbox and suspensions mods in combination with E85 but it's a lot of work.

But in many cases you can get away with some mods. You just have to be smart about it.
Old 12 November 2021, 08:28 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

In Germany they can't do anything to there cars, its so strict. Even if its official Subaru stuff they can't even fit that to there cars without correct documentation. And engine mods are really strict too. You really want that.

Old 12 November 2021, 09:47 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

You are dead to me
Old 12 November 2021, 11:21 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

firstly it’s from the mirror who are left wing and often talk b……s , i can’t see it happening the modding market is worth billions every year the government won’t want to loose the tax from that , get your mods done now 😂😂😂
Old 13 November 2021, 07:31 AM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
In Germany they can't do anything to there cars, its so strict. Even if its official Subaru stuff they can't even fit that to there cars without correct documentation. And engine mods are really strict too. You really want that.
No, not specifically. I would however like to see some regulation of the market. Maybe I’m getting old but my perspective is that some kind of regulation would improve safety and the quality of products available. I am not against modifying cars, far from it. I just think that enthusiasts deserve to know that what they are buying won’t fall apart after a week.
Old 13 November 2021, 07:33 AM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lockheed
You are dead to me
Old 13 November 2021, 08:35 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

Harley Davidson and a few other large companies in the USA were fined and banned from selling "tune ups" many years back..........
Old 13 November 2021, 09:15 AM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stockcar
Harley Davidson and a few other large companies in the USA were fined and banned from selling "tune ups" many years back..........
@stockcar out of interest Alyn, do things like brakes disks and pads need to comply with British safety standards or do they use the get out clause of ‘suitable for track use’?
Old 13 November 2021, 10:12 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

OEM style discs / pads have to conform to reg90 approval in Europe albeit because of their higher performance there are a lot of good quality race style materials that can't / won't conform

this does allow certain spurious manufacturers a get out clause which is why we will only stock / supply the well established and proven brands
Old 13 November 2021, 11:19 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Lol I love your thinking.

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
i can’t see it happening the modding market is worth billions every year the government won’t want to loose the tax from that , get your mods done now 😂😂😂
Old 13 November 2021, 10:10 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

If anyone has issue with it, as I'm sure many will do, then the best thing to do is to take the time to respond to the consultation before it closes. I've already done it. It's a bit painful but at least our views will be documented even if they do end up being ignored.