Sponsored by:

Litchfield type 20 value?

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2021, 10:10 AM
MrEd
Scooby Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Litchfield type 20 value?

Hi all, complete newbie here. I’ve been looking for a toy for some time. I’ve been offered a 2010 Litchfield type 20 hatch. I’ve not seen the car for a few years. It’s a genuine car that’s owned by an older guy that can no longer drive a manual.

It’s done over 100k, but has a recent engine build. Box has been rebuilt. The original suspension has been replaced with KW as have the original brakes been replaced with AP’s circa £3.5k. Though these are quality replacements, I’m aware that the original parts were specific to the individuality of the type 20.

I’m due to go and view it, but neither me nor the owner really know what it’s value is? I believe they are based on a JDM Spec C. I’m interested in your thoughts.

Thanks

Last edited by MrEd; 07 October 2021 at 11:55 AM.
Old 25 September 2021, 12:51 PM
MrEd
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by MrEd
Hi all, complete newbie here. I’ve been looking for a toy for some time. I’ve been offered a 2010 Litchfield type 20 hatch. I’ve not seen the car for a few years. It’s a genuine car that’s owned by an older guy that can no longer drive a manual.

It’s done over 100k, but has a recent forged engine build. I’m told it has a 2.2 block, 2.0 pistons and a 2.5 crank to make a 2.35? Box has been rebuilt. The original suspension has been replaced with KW as have the original brakes been replaced with AP’s circa £3.5k. Though these are quality replacements, I’m aware that the original parts were specific to the individuality of the type 20.

I’m due to go and view it, but neither me nor the owner really know what it’s value is? I believe they are based on a JDM Spec C. I’m interested in your thoughts.

Thanks
Sorry bit more research, think I’m wrong about the spec c, think they are just based on jdm sti.
Old 25 September 2021, 02:21 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

https://www.evo.co.uk/subaru/impreza...hfield-type-20
Old 26 September 2021, 07:29 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

I wouldn't see the KWs and APs as a negative, as the car has already been modified in the engine department; you would have had to service the original AST suspension at regular intervals, which is why they've been swapped probably.
Who was the engine builder, as this matters?
Jdm hatches are very under rated, and one with this level of build sounds like it will be awesome; the high mileage counts against it, but a 2.35 will cost you >10k just for the motor, depending on spec.
Prices are all over the place at the moment, but only immaculate, low mileage rarer examples are achieving these prices.....the rest are just jumping on the bandwagon.
Give us a full engine spec , confirm it has a service history of oil changes every 5000 miles or less, and you'll get a reasonable valuation; otherwise I'll pump at 14 to 19k, ballpark.
The following 2 users liked this post by hedgecutter:
Old 26 September 2021, 07:36 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

It could be based on a spec c; does it have an intercooler spray tank in the boot?
I also find the reason for selling a bit odd, and suggest you have at least a compression test and careful look/listen to the entire drivetrain before buying. Good luck.
Old 26 September 2021, 08:20 AM
MrEd
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
It could be based on a spec c; does it have an intercooler spray tank in the boot?
I also find the reason for selling a bit odd, and suggest you have at least a compression test and careful look/listen to the entire drivetrain before buying. Good luck.
I’m hopefully going to look at it today. The owner is quite wealthy and has been selling off his collection of cars. He’s had this from 2 years old and it was his daily for a significant period. I know it’s an honest car, the guy that did all the work is a friend. It’s been off the road for over a year so needs a Mot and a service.
The following users liked this post:
Old 26 September 2021, 09:01 AM
MrEd
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
I wouldn't see the KWs and APs as a negative, as the car has already been modified in the engine department; you would have had to service the original AST suspension at regular intervals, which is why they've been swapped probably.
Who was the engine builder, as this matters?
Jdm hatches are very under rated, and one with this level of build sounds like it will be awesome; the high mileage counts against it, but a 2.35 will cost you >10k just for the motor, depending on spec.
Prices are all over the place at the moment, but only immaculate, low mileage rarer examples are achieving these prices.....the rest are just jumping on the bandwagon.
Give us a full engine spec , confirm it has a service history of oil changes every 5000 miles or less, and you'll get a reasonable valuation; otherwise I'll pump at 14 to 19k, ballpark.
Thanks that’s really useful. I will report back after I’ve been to view. Thanks.

Trending Topics

Old 27 September 2021, 01:45 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

The condition will also dictate it's value, originally it will have been a JDM car but it will have been in this country for a fair while now and subject to our climate and road salt etc, hopefully it was a weekend toy or he didn't use it in the wet etc, just go over it with a tooth comb especially underneath to check for corrosion. Everything else sounds good, the mileage wouldn't bother me as the engine has been rebuilt but with that kind of mileage it would say its been used quite a bit which again will subject it to our roads and weather etc.

As someone pointed out, check who rebuilt and forged the engine as that will have a big say in the value, check if it has receipts for the build and the components that went into it.

Old 27 September 2021, 03:18 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

A recent related thread although for a T25: https://www.scoobynet.com/1046230-li...pe-25-a-5.html
Old 27 September 2021, 10:02 PM
MrEd
Scooby Newbie

Well I’m having it, popped a brave pill!
The following 3 users liked this post by MrEd:
Old 28 September 2021, 09:43 AM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

Good luck with the car, what colour is it, any pics ?
Old 28 September 2021, 10:59 AM
MrEd
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by The Joshua Tree
Good luck with the car, what colour is it, any pics ?

The following 3 users liked this post by MrEd: