Glycol in clutch

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2021, 07:01 PM
evander
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Glycol in clutch

OK I had a hose burst at the back of the engine, it's the one near the steering column right at the heater matrix. It's fixed, anyway I took the car out 3days later and the clutch is slipping now, was holding perfectly the 3 days before with multiple pulls in the higher gears. First pull since fixing hose and it slipped in 4th as soon as the torque started coming in, at 4200 rpm. Seems a bit of a coincidence that's it slips after having been soaked in glycol. Clutch is an extreme twin plate the same actual clutch andy forest used in his flat 6, its ceramic metallic so I wouldn't think it'll absorb the glycol

Anyway before ripping it out can anyone suggest a cleaning regime, I was thinking have a hose run wateri over it for a couple of hours then let it dry then use carb cleaner. Anyone more up to speed with the characteristics of glycol got a better idea, idea?

Last edited by evander; 23 September 2021 at 07:03 PM.
Old 23 September 2021, 09:12 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

an unusual failure , from google first option is a load of water wish may wash off the coolant , option 2 if that does not work is brake cleaner, look at it this way you have nothing to loose by trying it 👍
Old 23 September 2021, 10:52 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Antifreeze is like Brake fluid (both glycol) and wrecks friction plates; it can soak into the friction material and cause it to swell and shed fibres. It definitely does this on brake pads and shoes; makes a right mess of drums. But if you're quick enough to wash it off (water and/or brake cleaner, I wouldn't use carb cleaner) you may get away with it...

Another thought though is that water and degreasing agents could allow corrosion, so it can rust the fingers, fulcrums and may damage the release bearing or the splines. Which may cause a heavy pedal, iffy bite points, slip or judder.

Worst case need a new clutch, so whatever you do now can't make it much worse!

Last edited by ALi-B; 23 September 2021 at 10:54 PM.