Notices

uprated clutch slipping after 6 months...NOW WHAT?

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2010, 04:14 PM
WhiteWagonMan
Scooby Regular

Location: Trying to pull a 10 second 1/4 mile running a standard 2.0ltr engine...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uprated clutch slipping after 6 months...NOW WHAT?

Had an exedy organic clutch(pink box)fitted just over 6 months ago and its started to slip today,,IS THIS TIME FRAME NORMAL.The car has been mapped by jgm and was running 334bhp 300ft lbs torque,i replaced the intake hose with a silicone version after finding a 40mm rip in the original hose near the turbo.car was tweaked again last week by simon with the new hose and pulls awesome now,or did before the clutch started to slip.im not sure of the power until i RR again but i dont know which clutch to fit now .Should the pink organic clutch handle the power i have or do i need to look at something else,the car is a daily driver and gets some BAST*RD now and then so i need best of both worlds really.

FORGOT TO ADD..The pedal is right at the top and has been in this position since the clutch was fitted,and i dont get any clutch smell when it slips if this is any help guys.i got bad judder and smell when first fitted also but this has gone now.

Last edited by WhiteWagonMan; 04 July 2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: speeling misteeks
Old 04 July 2010, 04:59 PM
Crofty79
Scooby Regular

When you had the clutch changed did you do the thrust bearing?

Asking because i have a stage 1 Exedy clutch and lighten flywheel. I changed this because i thought my clutch was slipping but it turned out to be the thrust bearing sticking.

Just a thought i'm not runing as much power as you though.
Old 04 July 2010, 10:45 PM
ThePoorMansScooby
Scooby Regular

are you launching it?
Old 05 July 2010, 06:04 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

My first Pink box Exedy did exactly the same, about 6 months before I cooked it. My second is much better and juddered less from new, the first was undriveable! Did you get the flywheel skimmed or replaced when the clutch was fitted?
Old 05 July 2010, 09:10 AM
WhiteWagonMan
Scooby Regular

Location: Trying to pull a 10 second 1/4 mile running a standard 2.0ltr engine...

Thrust bearing was replaced with the clutch...NO its never been launched although i was advised to do so to help get rid of the judder...NO the flywheel was not replaced or skimmed as it looked ok before fitting the new clutch...could it need adjusting somehow?the pedal was at the top when fitted and has always been at that position.on my last clutch when it slipped i could smell it burning,when this one slips THERE IS NO SMELL AT ALL.does this sound normal?
Old 05 July 2010, 12:04 PM
r1c
Scooby Regular

Have a look if there is an Allen key bolt on the clutch pedal? If so this should have been reset when the clutch was fitted.
Old 05 July 2010, 01:25 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Check the slave cylinder is not worn and allowing fluild to get round the piston, it stops the clutch from being fully engaged. There should be some free play in the clutch fork.

I had an Exedy uprated clutch fitted and it was fine until AF mapped it then started to slip. He undid the bleed valve to relise the pressure and it was fine for a while, I fitted a new one and it's been fine since, worth a look before you go ripping it in bits again.

Last edited by T5OLF; 05 July 2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05 July 2010, 05:04 PM
WhiteWagonMan
Scooby Regular

Yeah it doesnt seem like normal clitch slip to me,there was no early signs of slipping,no smell when it slips either like my old clutch did when it needed replacing.just massive clutch slip all of a sudden with no burning smell CONFUSED OR WHAT?
Old 06 July 2010, 12:08 PM
leeroywrx
Scooby Regular

my exedy organic only lasted 1500 miles and i drive like miss daisy!!!!!exedy didnt want to know and said i must have been tracking the car which i have never done??????then the supplier of the clutch blamed the place that i had it fitted for incorrectly fitting the clutch even though the garage had fitted 40 subaru clutches with no issues.none of the clutches fitted were organics though not that that matters.then the fact that i had a lightweight flywheel was blamed.then the supplier of the clutch insisted on me having the clutch removed so they could examine it as they said they would be able to tell if i had been tracking the car or if it was fitted incorrectly.i then paid to have the clutch removed and contacted the supplier and they said they didnt need to see it and to take some pictures and email them????exedy and the supplier tried every way possible to get out of warrenting the clutch until threatend with court action.eventually i got a replacement clutch but after much heartache,time and stress.i wouldnt deal with exedy or the supplier again as i found the clutch was faulty and the customer service was really poor and unacceptable.hope you get your clutch sorted glenn
Old 10 July 2010, 02:55 PM
WhiteWagonMan
Scooby Regular

Well decided to go for a standard exedy clutch and get the flywheel skimmed also,i`ve lost faith in the so called uprated pink box clutch.it juddered badly and stank awfull from new and has only lasted this long,thats the second one with the same symptoms thats gone in a few months that i know of.This clutch will be warranted for 12 months as the last one i supplied and paid for fitting only,if this one goes **** up in less than 12 months then at least the garage will replace it under warranty.