Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2021, 08:21 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Handbrake sorted

Hi all,

2007 STi.
For a long time my handbrake hasn't been the best, it would hold the car fine, but would take quite a few clicks on the handbrake lever and sometimes feel it was seizing on etc. I could never seem to adjust the cog through the rubber grommet either.

Len at Subaru 4 You had a look yesterday. He too couldn't adjust the cog through the access hole at the back, it was stuck. Discs off revealed why....behind the handbrake brake shoes assembly is a sort of small inner backing plate...

Corrosion and years of grime had actually blown it outwards at the bottom, so the adjuster cog was stuck on the the spring which hold the shoes together at the bottom, and making the bottom spring pretty much touching the ABS tone ring. The calipers both came off fine which was good, no seized bolts.

A few healthy bashes at the bottom with a hammer and thick chisel pushed everything back into alignment again, and shoes now adjusted nicely, car is now secured with only 3 or 4 clicks on the handbrake lever, and no binding / seizing etc.

You could see where the disc (drum section) had been catching on the bottom of the inner backing plate. Was getting some very odd noises, all gone.

My main larger disc guards have seen better days, not an easy one apparently as it's hubs / bearings off to do that.

Old 22 August 2021, 08:53 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D
Hi all,

2007 STi.
For a long time my handbrake hasn't been the best, it would hold the car fine, but would take quite a few clicks on the handbrake lever and sometimes feel it was seizing on etc. I could never seem to adjust the cog through the rubber grommet either.

Len at Subaru 4 You had a look yesterday. He too couldn't adjust the cog through the access hole at the back, it was stuck. Discs off revealed why....behind the handbrake brake shoes assembly is a sort of small inner backing plate...

Corrosion and years of grime had actually blown it outwards at the bottom, so the adjuster cog was stuck on the the spring which hold the shoes together at the bottom, and making the bottom spring pretty much touching the ABS tone ring. The calipers both came off fine which was good, no seized bolts.

A few healthy bashes at the bottom with a hammer and thick chisel pushed everything back into alignment again, and shoes now adjusted nicely, car is now secured with only 3 or 4 clicks on the handbrake lever, and no binding / seizing etc.

You could see where the disc (drum section) had been catching on the bottom of the inner backing plate. Was getting some very odd noises, all gone.

My main larger disc guards have seen better days, not an easy one apparently as it's hubs / bearings off to do that.
i had my larger ones cut off as they were rotten, chevron did it for me when they put new discs and pads/coilovers on etc, after 3 years without them on i can safely say they are a complete waste of time as long as you wash around that area regular you should not have any issues.
Old 23 August 2021, 08:33 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

the outer part is simply a stone / shoite guard just like the tin backing plates on the front hubs
nothing structural or required at all......