Leaking wagon

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2021, 12:57 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Leaking wagon

Hi All,

I've got a MY00 last of the classics wagon. had a leak coming into the boot for a while and was sure it was the rear lights so have removed, cleaned up and sealed.
Water now no longer comes into the area where the car jack lives and that was almost certainly from the light housing nearside.

I'm now getting it come in from somewhere else but not tracked down yet. feels more like driver side but higher up
Just wanted to check if anyone has had similar problems and where it was coming in as it could speed the process for me to check.
Next step is remove all trim and run the hose pipe I guess.

had the car 15 years and it never leaked until recently, no crash damage etc

Thanks

Steve
Old 22 January 2021, 03:36 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

spoilers and boot seals are also a common area , get some one to run a hose whilst you are in the boot see if you can see any thing , check to see if boot trim is either dirty or ripped
The following users liked this post:
Old 22 January 2021, 07:45 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Yes also don't reseal the light, buy and aftermarket gasket. ICP sell them on ebay.
Old 24 January 2021, 04:41 PM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi SteveB, I've got a MY99 Sport Wagon non-turbo, and had an mot fail 3 years ago, which might be worth telling you about in case it's a feature on these models. Way up high above the rear wheels in the wheel arch as far as you can get your arm, there's a double skin, and mine had rotted there to the interior but as it was a double skin, there was no sign of it from inside the car. Only the vigilance of the mot tester discovered it, and then only by having it on the lift and with a torch. Fortunately only the nearside was affected, and cost me £240 to have welded, but I had to strip out the interior first, then I discovered that the rear bumper bar was riddled with rust too. Thought I'd mention it as there's not many Classic Wagons on the forum and this rust is a stealth rot, discover it too late and the car's a scrapper!

Last edited by nicam49; 24 January 2021 at 04:43 PM.
Old 24 January 2021, 09:59 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the advise.
Interesting as I have stripped the rear interior over the weekend and there is some surface rust on the near side strut turret near the bottom and side that I will have checked out by my body shop guy
Had the outers done a couple of years ago both sides as well as changing all suspension (springs/shockers) and giving it a good wire brush and dosed up with underseal etc.

As you say, best keep on top of it before it goes really bad. Will also get him to double check sills at the same time.

Steve
Old 26 January 2021, 11:34 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Think you will find most Impreza's are like this. But most water leaks come from boot seals and light seals.

Originally Posted by nicam49
Hi SteveB, I've got a MY99 Sport Wagon non-turbo, and had an mot fail 3 years ago, which might be worth telling you about in case it's a feature on these models. Way up high above the rear wheels in the wheel arch as far as you can get your arm, there's a double skin, and mine had rotted there to the interior but as it was a double skin, there was no sign of it from inside the car. Only the vigilance of the mot tester discovered it, and then only by having it on the lift and with a torch. Fortunately only the nearside was affected, and cost me £240 to have welded, but I had to strip out the interior first, then I discovered that the rear bumper bar was riddled with rust too. Thought I'd mention it as there's not many Classic Wagons on the forum and this rust is a stealth rot, discover it too late and the car's a scrapper!