Notices

Water leak in boot

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2005, 11:19 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leak in boot

I've got a WRX Classic Wagon and have a leak in the passenger side of the boot. I don't really get water pooling in the tyre well, so I think it's just dribbling in by the rear lights somehow.

I remember there used to be some great threads about the water leak problems with classics, more often than not traced to the rear lights. There were also some great step-by-step instructions on how to fix the problem, how to remove the rear lights, where to apply silicon rubber etc.

Unfortunately since the Scoobynet BBS software was changed the search function only goes back about 18 months so I can't find any of those threads

Does anyone remember what to do? Did anyone bookmark the thread concerned? Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,
BIJ
Old 02 December 2005, 02:12 PM
CraigCH
Scooby Regular

Hello
I had a leak in the boot of my MY00 classic saloon and it turned out to be the drain hose from the sunroof. It had come out of the fitting that drains outside the car. If you have a sunroof might be worth checking that first.

Craig.
Old 02 December 2005, 04:39 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Thanks but nope, no sunroof.
Old 02 December 2005, 05:13 PM
Dannno
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have just repaired a leak in in my boot it turned out to be leaking from behind the lights. you have to pull the hole light off after removing 5 or 6 bolts remove all of the old silicone re silicone and re fit the light took about 1 hour total.
Originally Posted by Brit_in_Japan
Thanks but nope, no sunroof.
Old 02 December 2005, 08:22 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dannno
I have just repaired a leak in in my boot it turned out to be leaking from behind the lights. you have to pull the hole light off after removing 5 or 6 bolts remove all of the old silicone re silicone and re fit the light took about 1 hour total.
Hi Dannno, any tips you can pass on?
Old 02 December 2005, 09:55 PM
Dannno
Scooby Regular

take your time when taking off the light, you will have to cut through the old sticky black silicone with a stanley knife to get the light off, then again to clean off the metal surround which the light bonds to when it is clean. pump a good bead of silicone(approx 8mm) around the edge of the metal surround then carefully refit the light, run your finger around the bit where the light meets the metal (inside the boot that is) to make sure that there is no gaps and to be sure that none of the silicone has squashed out onto the bulb holders.job done
Hi Dannno, any tips you can pass on?
Old 03 December 2005, 10:22 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thank you Dannno, I'll give it a go next week.
Old 03 December 2005, 02:18 PM
Hakon
Supporting Member

I've got a WRX Classic Wagon and have a leak in the passenger side of the boot. I don't really get water pooling in the tyre well, so I think it's just dribbling in by the rear lights somehow.

I remember there used to be some great threads about the water leak problems with classics, more often than not traced to the rear lights. There were also some great step-by-step instructions on how to fix the problem, how to remove the rear lights, where to apply silicon rubber etc.

Unfortunately since the Scoobynet BBS software was changed the search function only goes back about 18 months so I can't find any of those threads

Does anyone remember what to do? Did anyone bookmark the thread concerned? Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,
BIJ
The water in mine comes in around/under the boot rubber seal, 3rd the way between the lights and the rear screen and drips onto the carpet. A placed small plastic container collects it all.

Hakon