ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Impreza Hawkeye R sport exahust

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2021, 08:27 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Impreza Hawkeye R sport exahust

Been thinking about getting a Hawkeye R sport to replace my daily. But have never seen any sports cats or stainless steel manifolds or centre pipes for the non turbo engine. Just wondered if you can get them?
Old 20 January 2021, 04:27 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

you could get something made up at an exhaust builder , but the cost would be a lot ££ and the tuning benefits very slight , centre section delete maybe , a back box would be only mod , those two items would not be too much , around 450 ish brand new , again very little performance benefits
Old 20 January 2021, 06:58 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Yes not looking for performance, I replace all my car exhaust with stainless steel. Just surprised I've never seen one for the 2.0 non turbo Hawkeye. I know I can get a custom made one, but off the shelf will be cheaper.
Old 21 January 2021, 01:30 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

https://www.haywardandscott.com/suba...non-turbo.html
Old 21 January 2021, 09:39 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Nice find Don, although the sports cat is pricey.
Old 22 January 2021, 01:37 AM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

I'm not sure any of those options would really work for the Hawkeye non turbo. The replacement cat would only replace the secondary cat and the whole replacement manifold would need sensors moved and wires extended. Then there's the problem of remapping for the sports cat. There's still no open source options as far as I'm aware so you're stuck paying for an expensive license from Ecutek or similar if you can even find somebody who is willing to remap a non turbo.

Probably cheaper and easier just to get a manifold made up custom. I've had half an idea to try fitting the manifold from a WRX and making up a custom pipe with sensor bungs and a cat in to connect it up but I'm not sure I'll ever bother when the only benefit would be the unequal rumble.
Old 22 January 2021, 07:55 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyRoad
I'm not sure any of those options would really work for the Hawkeye non turbo.
The linked H&S page/s lists items for all non turbo models - you need to read the descriptions for 06/07 options.
They don't list an item for the manifold/converter

MY06/07 2.0R exhaust

https://www.haywardandscott.com/suba...ipe-06-07.html
https://www.haywardandscott.com/suba...-cat-pipe.html
https://www.haywardandscott.com/suba...-flow-cat.html
https://www.haywardandscott.com/suba...cer-06-07.html
https://www.haywardandscott.com/suba...non-turbo.html
https://www.haywardandscott.com/suba...-flow-cat.html
https://www.haywardandscott.com/suba...box-06-07.html
https://www.haywardandscott.com/suba...d-backbox.html

Old 22 January 2021, 08:52 AM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

I think we’re saying the same thing here. I’ve been through the whole process a while ago looking for replacements a while ago so I’m well aware of the H&S options available but I did look again just in case they had anything new.

I still stand by what I said that none of the options are really suitable for the non turbo Hawkeye in relation to OP asking about the manifold and secondary cat pipe. Seems pointless to replace the second cat with a sports cat when you leave the first in place and there’s still the problems with getting a remap.
Old 22 January 2021, 11:53 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Whats wrong with the options Don posted. All those options are for a non turbo?

And why do you need 2 cats? Thats the whole point of a sports cat is too increase exhaust flow while still passing emissions test, comes with holes for both both sensors can't see why you would need to extend wires?

Why would you need a remap? Although it would be remapped by my mate, You can map the standard ecu as far as i know.

I have multiple Impreaza's and all have sports cats and stainless steel systems, just never owned a Hawkeye before hence why not sure on fitments.

Originally Posted by RockyRoad
I think we’re saying the same thing here. I’ve been through the whole process a while ago looking for replacements a while ago so I’m well aware of the H&S options available but I did look again just in case they had anything new.

I still stand by what I said that none of the options are really suitable for the non turbo Hawkeye in relation to OP asking about the manifold and secondary cat pipe. Seems pointless to replace the second cat with a sports cat when you leave the first in place and there’s still the problems with getting a remap.
Old 22 January 2021, 12:03 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Whats wrong with the options Don posted. All those options are for a non turbo?

And why do you need 2 cats? Thats the whole point of a sports cat is too increase exhaust flow while still passing emissions test, comes with holes for both both sensors can't see why you would need to extend wires?

Why would you need a remap? Although it would be remapped by my mate, You can map the standard ecu as far as i know.

I have multiple Impreaza's and all have sports cats and stainless steel systems, just never owned a Hawkeye before hence why not sure on fitments.
The Hawkeye has a totally different setup and engine to previous non turbos. If you look at the picture Don posted you can see how the manifold goes towards the front of the car before looping back. The sensors live right at the front of the system in front of the engine which is why wires would need extended if you were to fit a system meant for the earlier non turbos which go straight back from the engine.

As you say, the sports cat will increase flow so could cause the engine to run lean. The Hitachi ECU the Hawkeye non turbos have is notoriously difficult to get a tune for. The first cat is part of the manifold so, unless you can get a replacement manifold, you’re stuck with the stock first cat unless you get it cut out and replace it with a straight through pipe but then you’ll still get a check engine light.
Old 22 January 2021, 07:43 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

On my current non turbo, the car runs fine with sports cat. The EML light did come on at first, but now doesn't unless a really cold day, then goes off again. If i use my code reader just says 2nd sensor.

Right i think i get what you mean, yes the sensor may need extending that goes into the manifold. I'm sure someone must make a manifold for them, as i'm guessing there the same as the hatch models aswell.

Not sure on the ecu, will have to check, my mate can map bug and blob non turbo's but not got him to check hawkeye yet.
Old 23 January 2021, 03:06 AM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Just taken a look at the parts for the Hatch and the whole front section of exhaust is one piece not a separate manifold and secondary cat pipe like the Hawkeye. Goes a long way to explain why there doesn’t appear to be any aftermarket options for the Hawkeye as there must be very little demand for it.
Old 23 January 2021, 03:26 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Ah yea that seems to be right. Not many 2.0 non turbo hawkeyes about. Sure you must be able to swap a complete system off an earlier model and just extend the sensor.

The manifold outlet looks like might be the same.

Looks like could be a custom job then.