Oil catch tank

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2020, 03:53 PM
Dai_STi
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil catch tank

Hey guy's 🤙

Just wondering what you guys have done for a catch tank system, I don't fancy paying 400 odd pound for a tank and hoses lol
I'm going to make my own catch can kit, blank off the two smaller breather hoses on the rocker cover, use just the one big breather outlet on the rocker covers and use a 3 port catch can. I know these engines have negative crank case pressure so will require vacuum from the turbo intake pipe.

Is there anything you guys recommend or am I missing something?

Pic for attention
Thanks 😊
Old 11 December 2020, 04:58 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Don't use the large 16mm breathers on the cam covers a they are not baffled internally, they are just a balancing system only, just use the small 12mm ones they are baffled, & use a baffled catch can, otherwise your wasting your time.
Old 11 December 2020, 07:34 PM
Dai_STi
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT
Don't use the large 16mm breathers on the cam covers a they are not baffled internally, they are just a balancing system only, just use the small 12mm ones they are baffled, & use a baffled catch can, otherwise your wasting your time.
Thanks man, really appreciate this 👍🏻
Old 11 December 2020, 11:59 PM
John 37
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Have you considered an air/ oil seperator?
I've fitted one to my road tune 08 STI and it works perfectly. No maintenance or emptying needed. Mine sits on the oil filler so any oil goes back to the sump.
The following users liked this post:
Old 12 December 2020, 09:47 AM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Just buy a cheapish ebay oil catch can and aos and run both, a catch can is a catch can tbh, no need to pay 400 quid for one. Also don't return to sump imo, the oil gets whipped up in the cans and you don't want that mayo like ish in your engine
Old 12 December 2020, 09:49 AM
Dai_STi
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by MrRtm
Just buy a cheapish ebay oil catch can and aos and run both, a catch can is a catch can tbh, no need to pay 400 quid for one. Also don't return to sump imo, the oil gets whipped up in the cans and you don't want that mayo like ish in your engine
This is what I was thinking and yeah I agree with that. To not return the oil back to the sump 👍🏻
Old 12 December 2020, 10:17 AM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't know if there's a better setup as it came like this but I have an aos/catch can setup that goes:

Crank Case Breathers > T piece > AOS > Catch Can > Turbo Inlet

My pcv goes into the turbo inlet and is not "caught" but would probably be better if it was
Old 12 December 2020, 10:40 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

I run an aos into catch can and vent

PCV runs direct to aos then head breathers vent into oe hard pipe then into aos. Return for aos goes into catch can and just vents. No return into inlet

Last edited by Gambit; 12 December 2020 at 10:54 PM.
Old 13 December 2020, 01:13 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

I bought a catch can on ebay for around 14£ delivered , i did buy some stronger pipe but that was not much , i just do a single catch can off the pcv valve to intake pipe , i cut up a new sponge and put in the in the can as a baffle , it works very well , if you wanted it would be very easy to do it off the rocker breathing system but i’ve never needed to , i was getting a slight puff occasionally on start up , i’m on quite a slope so any oil that got into the ic was running over night into the throttle body , but most ebay catch cans are fine and around 20 £ or so , i did think of a dual port one but for me i don’t really felt i needed it , easy to fit too, pipe was 13x20mm
Old 14 December 2020, 09:28 AM
Danjo
Scooby Regular

Received 226 Likes on 128 Posts

IMO you want to run it off both the head vents (these can be tee'd into one) AND the crank case vent on two of the three ports on a three port catch can, and then use the third as the outlet back to the intake.
Old 14 December 2020, 09:45 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

the single port catch cans are cheaper so you could buy two and do things that way , or as above use a dual port one and plumb them into that