Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Current market prices, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2020, 10:04 PM
Simon Greenwich
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Current market prices, what do you think?

Just wanted to debate this, as I have been looking for many months for a new Impreza.

I had a version 2 1996 Jap import, which I sold several months ago.

I am now looking for a newer age Impreza, 2003-05 - must be a WRX STI.

Now, people say you can get a good one for 7-8k - but according to the current market and prices, I disagree.

For 7-8k, you can buy one that has high mileage, 100k plus, shady service history, the odd rust bubble on the rear arches, or corrosion (advisory) underneath when you check the MOT history.

The good ones with lower mileage, solid service history, and overall good bodywork, these are going for anything between 10-13k
Old 08 November 2020, 07:43 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

I buy and sell loads of subarus ,, you have to be realistic about the age of the car and 100k miles is average for the year now ,,, so any under that will ask a higher price but it doesn't mean these ones are perfect cars by a long shot ,, but that doesn't mean that the 100k miles ones are no good ,, I buy then at 7-8k all the time without them being rusted out high miles cars you just have to look in the right places at the right times and be willing to put a bit of work in to them

Last edited by domino46; 08 November 2020 at 08:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 09 November 2020, 08:15 AM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts

Prices are all over the place at the moment. There also seem to be a difference depending on if your in the north or south of the country, it looks like you're based in London so will pay the southern tax.
I wouldn't limit yourself based on mileage. These cars are all old now and low milage does not mean it won't be rusty or neglected, in fact, a well maintained regularly used car could well be a better choice than someones weekend toy. You need to get out and see some cars as you can't tell what you're buying from some pictures, make sure you get right underneath as that's where you'll find the rot.

I get what you're saying about people indicating you can get this for that, but the reality is (as you are finding out) that these are relatively rare cars and there are lots of rough ones about. In my experience, you should get a half decent bug for £7-8k although these do seem to suffer from the rear arch rust. You'll struggle to get a good, clean blob for under £10k now, there are loads of poorly modified or knackered examples out there too so it's hard to even find a good one.

My advice, stretch your budget and souce a fresh import. You should be able to get one for around £10-11k and it will be cleaner than 95% of the UK cars.
Old 09 November 2020, 08:48 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

What’s your budget Simon?
Old 09 November 2020, 11:49 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by johno01
What’s your budget Simon?

I'm assuming its £7-8k

You can get a few Bugs for that much. Autotrader tends to be expensive for these cars anyway however I have noticed ebay is comanding a lot these days.

Subaru did the wide track and non widetrack in the blobeye shape. Widetracks tend to cost a bit more, You should be able to get a non widetrack for that money even with the increase in prices. That used to be widetrack money not so long ago.

Remember the price advertised isn't always the price you pay.
Old 10 November 2020, 08:33 PM
Simon Greenwich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
I'm assuming its £7-8k

You can get a few Bugs for that much. Autotrader tends to be expensive for these cars anyway however I have noticed ebay is comanding a lot these days.

Subaru did the wide track and non widetrack in the blobeye shape. Widetracks tend to cost a bit more, You should be able to get a non widetrack for that money even with the increase in prices. That used to be widetrack money not so long ago.

Remember the price advertised isn't always the price you pay.
Thanks for the input. My budget ... well, I've saved up 20k but don't want to spend all my money. I bought a clean version 2 import in Feb 2020 for 5k, which I sold a few months later and now it is on eBay pushing for 7-8k

I would say after Xmas, with a bit more saving up, I'd feel okay spending between 10-13k

Fair point about going for a fresh import, they do look cleaner - but some of these traders who import are out to make a quick profit and feel like prices are inflated.
Old 10 November 2020, 08:39 PM
Simon Greenwich
Scooby Regular

For example, take this clean bug, asking for £11,995 - may as well say 12k

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Im...MAAOSwyqhdLFzN
Old 11 November 2020, 12:57 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Prices at the min are a total crap shoot, some people are willing to pay top dollar so get the car they want, some want to buy for a steal and others just buy a shed. Also depends how fast you want to sell or buy as that wil always push the price up or down.
Old 11 November 2020, 09:06 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon Greenwich
For example, take this clean bug, asking for £11,995 - may as well say 12k

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Im...MAAOSwyqhdLFzN
That seller is typically expensive and its an import too.
Old 11 November 2020, 09:40 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

A Bug that fits in your budget

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Im...kAAOSwVO1fqS2P

Here is a Hawk JDM

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/suabru-im...4AAOSw2GxfYgwF

I haven't done any checks or looked through history, just had a quick browse
Old 11 November 2020, 10:06 AM
Simon Greenwich
Scooby Regular

A Bug that fits in your budget

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Im...kAAOSwVO1fqS2P

Here is a Hawk JDM

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/suabru-im...4AAOSw2GxfYgwF

I haven't done any checks or looked through history, just had a quick browse
That bug has rusty underneath, not clean.

The Hawk -eye looks good, thanks for that, might look deeper into that one.

I thought all the Hawk eye models had the weaker 2.5 engine? If someone can clarify this for me.
Old 11 November 2020, 10:11 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Jdm hawk is 2.0l
Old 11 November 2020, 10:11 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

That bug has rusty underneath, not clean.

The Hawk -eye looks good, thanks for that, might look deeper into that one.

I thought all the Hawk eye models had the weaker 2.5 engine? If someone can clarify this for me.
I didn't realise that mate, like I said I didn't look into it that much.

All JDM versions were 2ltr but they did move away from the UK manufacturing process so they aren't forged.
Old 11 November 2020, 10:31 AM
Simon Greenwich
Scooby Regular

I didn't realise that mate, like I said I didn't look into it that much.

All JDM versions were 2ltr but they did move away from the UK manufacturing process so they aren't forged.
Okay, so the JDM 2.0 Hawk is not factory forged, as some say they are?
Old 11 November 2020, 10:34 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Okay, so the JDM 2.0 Hawk is not factory forged, as some say they are?
Have a look in your other thread about Factory Forged internals explained
Old 11 November 2020, 12:26 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fresh-Imp...8AAOSw7blfZYwF

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Im...QAAOSwyqleVPOX

couple of interesting ones here too. But nothing under £10k.
Old 11 November 2020, 12:44 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

If I was buying at the moment, there's a few things I would do:

Use FB marketplace. sign up to all the impreza groups and put the feelers out. The last 2 cars I sold I didn't even advertise, I just replied to a post like ' Looking for a newage STi, must be clean with history'. Both cars sold at slightly less than I would had advertised at but they were hassle free sales so both the buyer and seller were happy. Just remember that you will have to sort the wheat from the chaff this way though!

Reach out to importers and possibly breakers. Let them know what you are looking for. They are often offered cars before they come to market and will usually take a quick flip.

Use the forums like this and let people know you're in the market. There's plenty of these cars being used as weekend toys so people may be tempted to sell in the current climate. I'd much prefer to buy from someone who frequents the forums and is invested in the car.

There are less cars for sale in the winter and less people looking, BUT the best cars will still fetch a premium as there is less availability and the buyers at this time of year are all serious, it's simple economics. So if you are looking for a minter at this time of year, it will still go for top end money (unless the seller needs to sell quickly).

If you are willing to buy something that needs a little work, then there are some real bargains to be had at this time of year. However, be aware that buying a car with one issue can lead to more as it's often been neglected or owned by someone who can't actually afford to maintain it.

Good luck with the search! I just bought a fresh import from Tom at Sprinting Hare JDM and he has been an absolute pleasure to deal with. You could give him a call and see what may be available for you budget.
Old 11 November 2020, 12:56 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Have you picked up your car yet mate
Old 11 November 2020, 01:27 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Have you picked up your car yet mate
Hi @NOSSY_89 Still not got the registration through yet. Looks like it will be December now anyway with this lockdown. As much as I'd like to claim the 8 hour round trip to collect it is an essential journey, I'm not sure that the plod would agree!
I do have some pictures now though, but I don't want to steal the OP's thread.
Old 11 November 2020, 02:27 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by adam.pah
Hi @NOSSY_89 Still not got the registration through yet. Looks like it will be December now anyway with this lockdown. As much as I'd like to claim the 8 hour round trip to collect it is an essential journey, I'm not sure that the plod would agree!
If they knew the car they would say its essential. Dude come on now, do you really think I'll let you off posting a pic on here lol.

Just had a though you are selling a blob it might be of interest.
Old 11 November 2020, 03:07 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

If they knew the car they would say its essential. Dude come on now, do you really think I'll let you off posting a pic on here lol.

Just had a though you are selling a blob it might be of interest.
I decided to keep the black one for now. After I stopped advertising it I was actually contacted by a guy who offered the full asking price (£16k) but by that time I'd made up my mind to keep it and do some track days. I'll update the gallery thread with my winter projects once I get a chance..

oh go on then, just 1 pic though...

Old 11 November 2020, 03:20 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Well happy for you mate
Old 13 November 2020, 12:27 PM
Stan1979
Scooby Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my WRX blob for £6600 around this time last year. It had the Prodrive Performance Pack fitted so it's not that much less power than the standard STI. I plan to get it tuned to 300bhp once I've saved up enough. In the mean time I'm perfectly happy with it. It was in great condition, it had done around 64000 mile and felt like a new car. The only down side was that it didn't have a full service history.

If you're dead set on an STI then I think you're going to have to pay around £10000 but if you're willing to consider a WRX and improve it bit by it then you can save a lot of money.
Old 13 November 2020, 08:14 PM
Simon Greenwich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by adam.pah
Thanks for input, feel free to share more pics, how much did you pay for it Adam?
Old 13 November 2020, 08:19 PM
Simon Greenwich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stan1979
I bought my WRX blob for £6600 around this time last year. It had the Prodrive Performance Pack fitted so it's not that much less power than the standard STI. I plan to get it tuned to 300bhp once I've saved up enough. In the mean time I'm perfectly happy with it. It was in great condition, it had done around 64000 mile and felt like a new car. The only down side was that it didn't have a full service history.

If you're dead set on an STI then I think you're going to have to pay around £10000 but if you're willing to consider a WRX and improve it bit by it then you can save a lot of money.
Yeah, I did consider this, but my version 2 was a STI (which I sold several months ago), and I do have my heart set on going for another WRX STI
Old 13 November 2020, 09:17 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Thanks for input, feel free to share more pics, how much did you pay for it Adam?
i posted some pictures in the members gallery earlier on actually. I was trying to hold off posting any until I’d actually taken ownership but excitement got the better of me!
I did have to pay a premium for it, given the mileage and condition but by the time i collect it it will be mint. Prices on these are a bit strange, HJA had one earlier this year with around 30k kms for £25k and it sold whereas one with 156k kms switched hands in the summer for almost half that (it was a trade sale though). The fact that they only made 300 of them and they have a fairly unique look means it should hold its value fairly well. I intend on using it as a daily rather than locking it away in a garage so I should get my monies worth out of it 😁.
Good luck with the search mate. I’d definitely stick with the STi over the WRX if that’s what you’re hankering for. I’ve had both and the STi is a different beast to drive, even when you up the power or the rex. You get a lot more for the extra spend, 6sp box, better brakes, better suspension, etc...
Old 24 November 2020, 04:58 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

Narrow track blobeye, 56000...cat c for just under 11000....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-SUBA...EAAOSw8XRfvBZz
Old 24 November 2020, 05:13 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

That is insane
Old 24 November 2020, 11:08 PM
andyf31
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.briandowniecarsales.co.u...02002277776829

Its my car ive put to a local specalist to sell as no room and busy with work to deal with selling.
Old 25 November 2020, 09:21 AM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by andyf31
https://www.briandowniecarsales.co.u...02002277776829

Its my car ive put to a local specalist to sell as no room and busy with work to deal with selling.

Andy.

I might go for a look as got a couple of scoobs to look at this week. It's a bit over my budget but would certainly like a look as I'm only down the road

Quick Reply: Current market prices, what do you think?