Sponsored by:

STI or Wrx as first Scooby

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2020, 12:17 PM
Chief-Yaz
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI or Wrx as first Scooby

So my scenario is that I have a budget of £7500 and I'm looking to buy a Scooby for the first time. Once I buy it I won't be modifying it. I will be driving it mainly on weekends as I will be at university.

I have found a WRX for around my budget and its very clean (no rust) and looks brilliant and has got some modifications. I can't make up my mind whether to buy this car or buy an STI.

Would appreciate any advice. Thank you
Old 10 September 2020, 01:50 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Mate its insurance dependant. Find out how much it will cost first. Then its down to what model you want. That budget should be able to fetch STIs too depending on year. So then its down to preference and future mods. You say no modding but that changes lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by NOSSY_89:
Old 10 September 2020, 01:52 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

Buy an STI mate
The following users liked this post:
Old 10 September 2020, 06:10 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

budget is plenty for a wrx with change, budgets pretty tight for an sti if enough at all.

After running both other than insurance and tax there is sod all cost difference in runnign costs between them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tidgy:
Old 10 September 2020, 06:23 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Link to ad for the WRX?
Old 10 September 2020, 06:25 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Wrx if your modding, sti if keeping standard imo
Old 10 September 2020, 09:22 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi.
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Old 11 September 2020, 12:19 AM
bunsofsteeeel
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MrRtm
Wrx if your modding, sti if keeping standard imo
sorry but that is terrible advice.
The following 2 users liked this post by bunsofsteeeel:
Old 11 September 2020, 06:49 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by bunsofsteeeel
sorry but that is terrible advice.
yep that is completely backwards lol
The following 2 users liked this post by domino46:
Old 11 September 2020, 08:37 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Wrx as a daily

STI as a toy/weapon or a hobby imo
The following 2 users liked this post by ZANY:
Old 11 September 2020, 12:11 PM
Hawkins 1995
Scooby Regular

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Sti imo use our daily plus better gearbox etc
Old 11 September 2020, 12:47 PM
Danjo
Scooby Regular

Received 226 Likes on 128 Posts

Both good cars but the STI is a better car out of the box and more likely to entertain you, especially if you plan on keeping it standard too. Will also have higher resale values if that's something that concerns you. Ultimately you have to ask yourself if you buy a WRX, will you always be thinking "I wish I had bought an STI"
Old 11 September 2020, 12:57 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46
Actualy its not, it depends how far your going to mod it.

If your going full shebang all your going to keep is the 6 speed then wrx will work out cheaper to mod overall.

If your not planning to mod heavily then the higher general spec is worth the extra cost of an sti.
Old 11 September 2020, 01:20 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
Actualy its not, it depends how far your going to mod it.

If your going full shebang all your going to keep is the 6 speed then wrx will work out cheaper to mod overall.

If your not planning to mod heavily then the higher general spec is worth the extra cost of an sti.

so from your advice if your planning on modding a subaru then by the lowest spec you can get ?? ,, that makes no sense to me at all lol (no offence intended) surly if your planning on modding the car you will want to start with the most bang for your buck so to speak ,, if you want a standard car and power isnt a worry then the wrx is a good car ,,, from a modding point of view we all know wrx owners use sti parts as there first step or at least that what iv sen over the last 20 years ,,, so why pay for the labour to get it to sti level when you can just buy it at that level to start with and then if you want more you have better resale value for stuff you dont use

Last edited by domino46; 11 September 2020 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11 September 2020, 03:05 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

An STi costs twice as much to buy over a similar WRX. So you have ~ £5k to play with straight away. Second hand STi parts are not expensive. Aftermarket parts are the same regardless of model. Depends where you are trying to get to. You could build a WRX that outperforms a stock STi for far less than the cost of a stock STi, for example. Or if you plan to upgrade a lot of the stock STi parts, why pay a premium for them in the first place?

Ultimately it's budget dependant and whether you enjoy doing the work yourself. If you have to pay someone else to do everything, then the best stock car you can afford is a better idea.

With a £7500 budget, you'd be better looking at clean WRX over a leggy STi. Suspension, tyres, alignment, brakes etc all need to be in good condition to truly appreciate the cars. You could easily spend a couple of grand bringing a tired example up to spec, if you have to pay someone to do the work. It's not a great idea to blow all your budget on the purchase price. That's how so many performance cars end up as snotters with multiple owners. People just see the sale price and think they can afford that, without considering the maintenance costs. That's not to say that Imprezas are expensive to run but the £7500 is the bottom of the STi market, so you'd have to expect further outlay once acquired. A £5k WRX with a £2k maintenance fund is a more sensible proposition and will be a better drive than a tired STi, especially if you've never owned one before.

Last edited by TECHNOPUG; 11 September 2020 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11 September 2020, 04:05 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
An STi costs twice as much to buy over a similar WRX. So you have ~ £5k to play with straight away. Second hand STi parts are not expensive. Aftermarket parts are the same regardless of model. Depends where you are trying to get to. You could build a WRX that outperforms a stock STi for far less than the cost of a stock STi, for example. Or if you plan to upgrade a lot of the stock STi parts, why pay a premium for them in the first place?

Ultimately it's budget dependant and whether you enjoy doing the work yourself. If you have to pay someone else to do everything, then the best stock car you can afford is a better idea.

With a £7500 budget, you'd be better looking at clean WRX over a leggy STi. Suspension, tyres, alignment, brakes etc all need to be in good condition to truly appreciate the cars. You could easily spend a couple of grand bringing a tired example up to spec, if you have to pay someone to do the work. It's not a great idea to blow all your budget on the purchase price. That's how so many performance cars end up as snotters with multiple owners. People just see the sale price and think they can afford that, without considering the maintenance costs. That's not to say that Imprezas are expensive to run but the £7500 is the bottom of the STi market, so you'd have to expect further outlay once acquired. A £5k WRX with a £2k maintenance fund is a more sensible proposition and will be a better drive than a tired STi, especially if you've never owned one before.

I would have to disagree a bit as iv recently brought quite a few newage STI's for around that budget and wouldn't consider them to be snotters lol,,, granted you have to be very careful and know what your looking for with regard to problems but they are still out there to be had if you look in the right places and are willing to wait ,, recently looked at a bugeye sti for 6500 on a well known social media site and apart from a rust bubble on the arch it was a very nice car

this is coming from someone who has spent the cost of a house on a WRX mind you lol,, but yes I still wish id started with a sti even though there isnt anything left of the original car ,, even the shell is now altered beyond its original shell ,, but its still always going to be a wrx lol
The following 2 users liked this post by domino46:
Old 11 September 2020, 05:11 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

My first scooby was a m reg wrx import for 2 grand and I had no idea about Subarus. The next one was a remapped spec d which I wrote off after a month. I can understand buying a wrx first if you plan on having Subarus for a long time as I guess it’s a good start. It might not be a good idea getting a 300bhp Subaru with no experience of fast cars if you get me. If you’ve had experience of fast cars then I’d definitely get an sti. In today’s climate I bet there are some bargains to be had. Your looking at a narrow track for 7500 though. Good luck mate 👍
Old 11 September 2020, 06:01 PM
HonestIago
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Assuming you are looking at newage cars, if your budget is at all tight I would just buy the cleanest WRX you can afford. I have a JDM Blob WRX Wagon and, once mapped, it goes really nicely if you appreciate it for what it is. If you really do not want to spend on mapping then keep a look out for one that has already been mapped (by someone reputable) or a car with the Prodrive Performance Pack. By modern standards a standard 220-odd bhp WRX is a bit lacking but with 260-280bhp (either with the PPP or a custom map) they really are brought alive. Bear in mind that the WRX is lighter than the STi by c.100kg so will feel relatively sprightly for the power. IF you think that you MAY change your mind re modifications and end up wanting 300bhp+ then you are far better plumping for the STi initially.
Old 12 September 2020, 12:30 AM
bunsofsteeeel
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

so from your advice if your planning on modding a subaru then by the lowest spec you can get ?? ,, that makes no sense to me at all lol (no offence intended) surly if your planning on modding the car you will want to start with the most bang for your buck so to speak ,, if you want a standard car and power isnt a worry then the wrx is a good car ,,, from a modding point of view we all know wrx owners use sti parts as there first step or at least that what iv sen over the last 20 years ,,, so why pay for the labour to get it to sti level when you can just buy it at that level to start with and then if you want more you have better resale value for stuff you dont use
totally agree with this you get so much more with a sti but everything comes down to budget I suppose.
Old 12 September 2020, 09:26 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Let me explain,

You will see there are two points to my post, 2nd point i said was if doing basic modding then a sti is the way to go, the first point i said was if you are extensivly modifying a wrx is prob the way to go.

If you are heavily modifying you arn't going to be using or upgrading to STI parts, brakes, engine, suspension will all be put in the scrap heap and replaced with higher spec components, such as AP brakes front and back, including lines, closed deck 2.35 engine, adjustable coilovers, roll bars, all bush's, clutch, ecu, cooling system, fuel system etc etc etc. very little of the oem sti parts will remain.

So again why spend 5-6k more for a car that you are effectily scrapping when all your actualy wanting from it is the running gear that you can pick up a full set for 2-3k?
Old 12 September 2020, 09:49 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

a lot of people who mod will keep a lot of the sti parts like brakes gearbox engine etc , suspension will more than likely get changed , so you are better off with an sti to start with , rather than a wrx with it’s not as good brakes weaker gearbox etc , a used 6 speed box plus diff plus prop is expensive plus it needs some one to fit it £ , brembos are around 600£ to a 1000£ for a set , so buy a car with it done as it will work out cheaper in the long run and mod from there , i’ve had a few wrx cars over my time which were great cars , but much prefer the sti , plus it’s longer gearing and other benefits
Old 12 September 2020, 10:32 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
a lot of people who mod will keep a lot of the sti parts like brakes gearbox engine etc , suspension will more than likely get changed , so you are better off with an sti to start with , rather than a wrx with it’s not as good brakes weaker gearbox etc , a used 6 speed box plus diff plus prop is expensive plus it needs some one to fit it £ , brembos are around 600£ to a 1000£ for a set , so buy a car with it done as it will work out cheaper in the long run and mod from there , i’ve had a few wrx cars over my time which were great cars , but much prefer the sti , plus it’s longer gearing and other benefits
which is exactly why i said depends on how far you plan to go.

I think you'll find alot more people sack off the sti parts than you think when they start to mod alot, brakes especialy. The only parts that typicly stay sti are the gearbox/running gear (hubs, drive shafts etc).
Old 12 September 2020, 11:27 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Let me explain,

You will see there are two points to my post, 2nd point i said was if doing basic modding then a sti is the way to go, the first point i said was if you are extensivly modifying a wrx is prob the way to go.

If you are heavily modifying you arn't going to be using or upgrading to STI parts, brakes, engine, suspension will all be put in the scrap heap and replaced with higher spec components, such as AP brakes front and back, including lines, closed deck 2.35 engine, adjustable coilovers, roll bars, all bush's, clutch, ecu, cooling system, fuel system etc etc etc. very little of the oem sti parts will remain.

So again why spend 5-6k more for a car that you are effectily scrapping when all your actualy wanting from it is the running gear that you can pick up a full set for 2-3k?
iv spent well over over £60k modding a WRX and my worst mistake was starting with a WRX and not the STI ,, so im speaking from experience of doing this exact thing ,,, since then iv lernt from my mistake and now start with a STI when im doing a big build lol
Old 12 September 2020, 12:47 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

iv spent well over over £60k modding a WRX and my worst mistake was starting with a WRX and not the STI ,, so im speaking from experience of doing this exact thing ,,, since then iv lernt from my mistake and now start with a STI when im doing a big build lol

i've done uit multiple times and if your spending 60k and using sti parts then your paying waaay over the odds
Old 12 September 2020, 02:04 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

What Tidgy and TechnoPlug said, only benefit of an sti if your going to mod it is the 6 speed, my lowly wrx has that plus alot more than an sti does, cost me less than an sti would as well
Old 12 September 2020, 03:37 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

i've done uit multiple times and if your spending 60k and using sti parts then your paying waaay over the odds

I didn't say I was using sti parts ,, I said I wish I had started with a sti lol as I had to buy lots of bits the sti already came with , heads , wiring , box , diff , hubs, it all added up lol ,, its actually a WRC car now but I still wish it had the STI on the log book as it would be worth more if I ever do decide to sell
Old 12 September 2020, 03:38 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrRtm
What Tidgy and TechnoPlug said, only benefit of an sti if your going to mod it is the 6 speed, my lowly wrx has that plus alot more than an sti does, cost me less than an sti would as well

and it would sell for a lot less aswell regardless of the 6 speed lol
Old 12 September 2020, 04:37 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

I didn't say I was using sti parts ,, I said I wish I had started with a sti lol as I had to buy lots of bits the sti already came with , heads , wiring , box , diff , hubs, it all added up lol ,, its actually a WRC car now but I still wish it had the STI on the log book as it would be worth more if I ever do decide to sell

no spec c big port heads?
Old 12 September 2020, 06:51 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by HonestIago
Assuming you are looking at newage cars, if your budget is at all tight I would just buy the cleanest WRX you can afford. I have a JDM Blob WRX Wagon and, once mapped, it goes really nicely if you appreciate it for what it is. If you really do not want to spend on mapping then keep a look out for one that has already been mapped (by someone reputable) or a car with the Prodrive Performance Pack. By modern standards a standard 220-odd bhp WRX is a bit lacking but with 260-280bhp (either with the PPP or a custom map) they really are brought alive. Bear in mind that the WRX is lighter than the STi by c.100kg so will feel relatively sprightly for the power. IF you think that you MAY change your mind re modifications and end up wanting 300bhp+ then you are far better plumping for the STi initially.
are the wrx’s really 100kg lighter than the sti 😳 😮
Old 12 September 2020, 09:14 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

i don’t think it’s as much as 100 kg , the gearbox is a lot of the extra weight , price wise look how much £ a diff prop and six speed box set you back

Quick Reply: STI or Wrx as first Scooby