Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mechanics, Tuners, Engine builders & More please advise!

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2020, 09:07 PM
Jackyboy96
Scooby Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mechanics, Tuners, Engine builders & More please advise!

Hi all, hoping someone can advise and/or send some useful information please!

Im finishing an auto electrical apprenticeship end of next year (hopefully with this COVID delays) and would like to embark onto more automotive training while working straight after.

I’ll be 25 when I finish - long story short spent a few years in Aus working a different trade and came back to get qualifications to go back with a permanent residency. So I have 4-5 years to spare while my partner finishes her degree, what better than to educate myself in the meantime.

Cars (Subaru’s mainly) have always been my passion, it doesn’t matter what I’m doing as long as I’m working on them - hence the “downgrade” to an apprenticeship, which has been hard as a surprise baby has come into the works lol.

What are the chances of somewhere taking me on even as an auto electrician but at the same time teaching me other aspects as listed in the title - or other areas. I’m even open to doing a couple of hours in an evening for nothing in exchange for knowledge.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Jackyboy96; 24 June 2020 at 09:09 PM.
Old 25 June 2020, 09:08 AM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

It will depend a lot where you are in the country, around here, Northamptonshire, there is a lot of motorsport based engineering, I have had work experience pupils over the years, but health & safety, insurance etc make it very expensive for me to make this happen, as much as I would like to see young people get basic knowledge.
I would look at the engineering side offered by Silverstone college, a lot going on in that area, Mercedes HPE at Brixworth always used to engage with college leavers etc for short periods of training & work experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by MOTORS S GT:
Old 14 September 2020, 06:48 PM
Jackyboy96
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT
It will depend a lot where you are in the country, around here, Northamptonshire, there is a lot of motorsport based engineering, I have had work experience pupils over the years, but health & safety, insurance etc make it very expensive for me to make this happen, as much as I would like to see young people get basic knowledge.
I would look at the engineering side offered by Silverstone college, a lot going on in that area, Mercedes HPE at Brixworth always used to engage with college leavers etc for short periods of training & work experience.
Sorry for the delayed response😂 appreciate the reply, it seems H&S have scared a lot of people off. I’ll persevere as I progress and hopefully get the opportunity to expand my knowledge.

Thanks again
Jack
Old 14 September 2020, 10:35 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Hi mate, an old fart is going to give you some advice. Get your foot in the door, there is knowledge all around you thats easily missed. It can be a mechanic thats been in the industry years. Speak to them, work with them they have so much experience and if you keep your ears open you can pick up so much knowledge.

I've seen it first hand, group of young apprentices come in want to use all the shiny new equipment and be on level 10 right away. I get it and completely understand it. Theres the grumpy person who might have an attitude problem so none of them want to speak to him or work with him. But the ones that do and pay attention came back and said what a wealth of knowledge he was, you just need to speak to him in a certain way.

The dealership is where it used to be but its only in name now. Get yourself to a good indy or a tunning garage even if its part time at both of them. Also don't be worried to move if you aren't getting what you want. Before you know it you will have your own place.

Old 17 September 2020, 06:31 AM
Jackyboy96
Scooby Newbie

Duly noted @NOSSY_89 thanks for the heads up. If it wasn’t hard enough before it is now with all this pandemic stuff, however I’ll keep my ears peeled and my eyes to the ground...

Jack