Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2020, 08:22 AM
denver831983
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie

Hi all, new to the forum. Hope everyone is well. My new scooby is being delivered tomorrow (below).

Planning to turn it into a little project car. WIth that in mind just wondering if anyone has a kind of 'Starter Kit' list I'll be needing to be able to work on the car so I can look to start purchasing the tools I'll need.

Thanks in advance.

Old 16 June 2020, 06:08 PM
Russell38
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi and welcome. What was it you would like to do to the car
Old 16 June 2020, 08:28 PM
johnoggy
Scooby Regular

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Welcome Denver, car looks a nice example, has it already got any mods?
Old 18 June 2020, 02:15 PM
RetroPug
Scooby Regular

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Welcome.

I have had a blobeye WRX for 1.5 years now, and have done a lot to it (far more than my poorly updated project thread) to keep it nice.

Another new member recently joined, see my post #8 in their thread for advice for a new owner:
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...l#post12082880

To sum it up, rust is the main thing to very, very thoroughly check for, and then the next thing to consider is that these cars are old and most of the rubber parts are way past their best, and stock rubber is quite soft to begin with.

I haven't really found Imprezas to need any special tools, moreso a well-stocked toolset with a variety of sizes etc. will help you in a number of situations, for example when access is poor if one shape of spanner won't fit, another might. This applies to working on cars in general really!

Everything is relatively doable DIY, but working on the rear suspension in particular can be a big job just because it's all very exposed to water and mud and it all gets very seized and rusty! It adds cost, but all suspension bolts etc. are available from various suppliers so if you do plan this type of work DIY and you don't want to get held up, you can purchase all the necessary bolts and just cut out anything that is difficult to remove straight away.

Good luck!

Old 18 June 2020, 04:03 PM
Shane
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Yep, if it's a good one you can do most stuff with a general tool kit, only slightly fiddly job is spark plugs, if it turns out to be not so good then you may want to invest in lots of penetrating fluid, a welder, and an account with Import Car Parts.

Welcome to Subaru ownership.
The following users liked this post: