Sponsored by:

TVR Make Press Specials !!!

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2001, 04:30 PM
mik
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I originally posted this at the end of Rannoch's "are our cars really that quick" thread - but you know what it's like when you post at the end of a thread....no responses! Anyway......in reference to claims that "TVRs aren't actually as quick as you'd think".....

Everyone always seems keen to accuse TVR of producing "specials" for road tests....
Does anyone have any evidence of this?

From memory Evo tested early press 4.5 Cerbie @ 9.2 secs 0-100 (or maybe that was Perf Car..?). In a later issue (0-60 challenge) a "punter" could only manage 10.3, but 'twas with said punter driving, and writer acknowledged a top-end missfire (testing 2-up remember).....so not sure that proves anything.

I don't have any "proof" either way....just can't see Mr Wheeler condoning this when he is so openly dissmissive / hostile towards the press. Why would a man that banned all press from driving TVRs for 9+ months of 1999(might have been 2000) create press specials? (Evo gave the Speed-6 Cerbie 5-stars and "best TVR ever" label when it was released, but it didn't even feature subsequently in the Evo Car Of The Year doo-dah ~ that had me confused for ages 'til I heard about the ban!)

I'm personally with other guys who cite Driver as the main factor ~ I would think the majority of exotica (and I know many would argue that TVR are exotica) are driven well within the limit of the car, whereas most Scoobys are purchased by focused drivers who place function over form (or image as perceived by the majority) and drive their cars hard. All this in conjunction with a car that flatters the driver.

Just wondered......
Old 23 May 2001, 05:28 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

TVR's are a pain to launch, and tend to go BANG if you do lots of 0-60's. Transmission failure was a problem on early Cerbera's

The mags care not if the car goes bang, the owner does. The mags have performed loads of 0-60's - owner probably a few.

Therefore never read anything into a Mag v Punters times - one cares about the car and one doesnt - therefore the Driver is a bigger factor than the car itself.

I dont think TVR are making there cars faster for the Press - just that they include the highest tuned engines (Tuscan car had a "rose" package for the press that got included as standard at a later date).

All TVR's, even the slow ones are fast!!!!

Jza
Old 24 May 2001, 01:46 PM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

I disagree witht he subaru driver "function over form" statement otherwise people would be buying that new turbo 4wd skoda octavia or whatever it is called which out performs the subaru 'sport' and no doubt will probably tickle the back end of the wrxen in the next few years...

my mate has a new tvr tuscan speed 6. My wrx parked side by side with the s6 shows how ugly they both are!

rapiddescent
wrx my01 wagon

[This message has been edited by rapiddescent (edited 24 May 2001).]
Old 24 May 2001, 02:13 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>

my mate has a new tvr tuscan speed 6. My wrx parked side by side with the s6 shows how ugly they both are!

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!!!!

Jza

Old 24 May 2001, 02:13 PM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Smile

Aye, but didn't powerstation or somebody get a load of them on a rolling road (yeah I know some of them are innacurate) and discover that they were ALL down on power, sometimes by massive amounts? I have heard that TVR engines go out of tune quickly, which could explain this.

Mike
Old 24 May 2001, 02:54 PM
mik
Scooby Regular

Tractor,

Thanks - that at least offers some kind of explanation (although I can't see them getting a load of Tuscans together...???)

I'd also heard about "wide" output tolerances caused by nature hand-built assembly - Griffs are apparently rated at anything between 325-340hp.

Like I say - I have no evidence either way, just interested when people seem so quick to say "they're not that quick".....

PS - rapiddescent ~ I think the average Scooby driver is exactly the kind of guy who'd buy a 180bhp awd Skoda over a Sport for the same money.... although the VW group 4wd system isn't at the same level.

Old 24 May 2001, 04:00 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

I can't help replying to TVR topics

I think you'll find the reason TVRs vary in power is cos they slap the engines together just like they slap the rest of the car together

Old 24 May 2001, 05:17 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

I think you'll find that all the manufacturers make 'Press Specials'. In fact I don't think many of them even make much of a secret about it.

I know of at least a couple who upgrade brake pads/fluids on press cars, and I feel sure that handling modifications are also made. After all, who going to notice any strange tyre wear.

You only have to look at all the cars which, when reviewed, have amazing turn-in and poise, yet steer like a lame cow when us mere mortals drive them.

Cynical journo? Me?! Nah!

Josh
Old 24 May 2001, 05:49 PM
GEJL
Scooby Regular

There was a new Tuscan at Brands GP track day on Monday. It was quick, no doubt about it.

I was in the (standard) Elise, keeping Carrera 4s easily at bay, but the Tuscan was something else...

Only two Scoobs there though. Both 5 doors
Old 24 May 2001, 05:59 PM
Philsykes
Scooby Regular

Cool

Until February I had a modified UK scoob and it was very quick!.

I now have a 4.2 Cerbera and the acceleration of this car is beyond belief, unfortunately its also beyond traction in 1st and 2nd gear. I would quite like a switch that gives me about half the power in 1st then three quarters in second, then full in third etc.

Also TVR looks AWESOME. Not ok not fine but absolutely AWESOME!.

Air con's broke though!, still I usually find that if I open the bonnet and throw some more money in it's all alright again.

Phil.