Sponsored by:

Gearbox whine

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2020, 07:10 PM
jjonathan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox whine

Hi guys my 2003 wrx has developed a Loud whining noise near the gearbox when I gain speed and release the clutch , doesn’t make any noise when driving at slow speed and tends to still change gear pretty smooth, not sure wether to try better Oil or maybe look at replacing gearbox or clutch anyone got any ideas?. Cheers👍
Old 27 May 2020, 07:55 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Depends if it's just a whine, or if it sounds a bit more gravely for want of a better word.
Whats the mileage on the car? Ours has had a bit of a whine since we bought it (at 4 years and 40k old) and it has now done 160k
last year the gearbox started sounding rough, horrible gravely gratey noise. Had 3 bearings in the transfer box replaced and all is well.
If you need them Alyn at AS performance may be able to help, quoted me around half the price of Subaru dealer prices.

eta can you feel it through the gearstick?

Last edited by WRXrowdy; 27 May 2020 at 07:56 PM.
Old 27 May 2020, 08:50 PM
jjonathan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
Depends if it's just a whine, or if it sounds a bit more gravely for want of a better word.
Whats the mileage on the car? Ours has had a bit of a whine since we bought it (at 4 years and 40k old) and it has now done 160k
last year the gearbox started sounding rough, horrible gravely gratey noise. Had 3 bearings in the transfer box replaced and all is well.
If you need them Alyn at AS performance may be able to help, quoted me around half the price of Subaru dealer prices.

eta can you feel it through the gearstick?
It’s had a slight whine ever since I bought it , just sounds louder. The car has 160 thousand on the clock , the clutch was apparently changed before I had it, ah okay I’ll give him a ring see what he says. The box seems to change fine. I’m gonna try changing the oil to motul 300 see if that makes a difference.
Old 27 May 2020, 09:07 PM
Russell38
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

As above probably bearings in the transfer box
Old 27 May 2020, 09:57 PM
jjonathan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Russell38
As above probably bearings in the transfer box
sounds like that’s culprit
Old 28 May 2020, 11:10 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Changing the oil won't make a difference if it's the transfer box bearings. Yours is exactly same age and mileage as mine, had my oil changed in the gearbox but didn't make any difference to the noise. It's not a gearbox out job as transfer case is separate.
Old 28 May 2020, 04:14 PM
jjonathan
Scooby Regular

Changing the oil won't make a difference if it's the transfer box bearings. Yours is exactly same age and mileage as mine, had my oil changed in the gearbox but didn't make any difference to the noise. It's not a gearbox out job as transfer case is separate.
ah okay Wells needs doing anyway , Was wondering if it would be easier or cost effective to just get another transfer box rather than do the bearings
Old 28 May 2020, 05:15 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Trouble with that is you don't know the age, mileage, condition of the bearings in the transfer box. I'm guessing a used transfer box will cost £100 or there abouts, labour for fitting who knows, £75-£100. Bearings in mine were £140 or so, and paid £150 for them to be fitted, so less than £300 and peace of mind that the bearings (Subaru original items) will probably outlast the rest of the car.
Old 28 May 2020, 07:38 PM
jjonathan
Scooby Regular

Trouble with that is you don't know the age, mileage, condition of the bearings in the transfer box. I'm guessing a used transfer box will cost £100 or there abouts, labour for fitting who knows, £75-£100. Bearings in mine were £140 or so, and paid £150 for them to be fitted, so less than £300 and peace of mind that the bearings (Subaru original items) will probably outlast the rest of the car.
That is a good point you do get peace of mind and the cost isn’t much more makes sense

Old 30 May 2020, 06:57 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I had the wheel bearing done OSR, sorted out the whine, faster I went the worse it was.
​​​​​​
Old 30 May 2020, 11:34 PM
jjonathan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by salsa-king
I had the wheel bearing done OSR, sorted out the whine, faster I went the worse it was.
​​​​​​
gonna hopefully change out the bearing tomorrow be nice if it was that wait and see I guess
Old 30 May 2020, 11:43 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jjonathan
gonna hopefully change out the bearing tomorrow be nice if it was that wait and see I guess

careful you don't damage the ABS sensor.... that's what happened to mine as they tried to get the very hard to remove wheel bearing.
that was at main dealer as well.
Old 05 June 2020, 02:54 PM
jjonathan
Scooby Regular

Hi guys again I’ve changed the wheel bearing and to no avail , so it’s gotta be the transfer bearings , it’s still making a whining noise I’ve tried locating the bearings as I’m thinking of fixing it myself, Does anyone know where to buy them as a kit all together and how difficult a job is it to diy? Cheers guys
Old 05 June 2020, 03:24 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

I bought them through ebay as a set of three bearings, I did message Alyn but by the time he responded I had already got them. Alyn was around the same price though, so you should be able to get them from AS performance.
Ill try and find the part numbers.

Didnt fit them myself so don't know how difficult it is, but do a search on here as I did find a thread that explained how to do it when I was looking into it.
Old 05 June 2020, 03:51 PM
jjonathan
Scooby Regular

I bought them through ebay as a set of three bearings, I did message Alyn but by the time he responded I had already got them. Alyn was around the same price though, so you should be able to get them from AS performance.
Ill try and find the part numbers.

Didnt fit them myself so don't know how difficult it is, but do a search on here as I did find a thread that explained how to do it when I was looking into it.
yeah I saw a set of three but I think there located in Poland of all places , they look alright was tempted Order them. I just messaged him so I’ll see what he says. Cheers mate 👍 I’ve got access to a ramp and I’ve heard people say that makes its much easier , my plan was to order the bearings , remove the transfer case then get them pressed in at a garage then reinstall the transfer case. Cheers for your help👍
Old 05 June 2020, 04:55 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

That's where mine came from, forget the user name if you know it it might ring a bell, but they were genuine bearings, delivered quickly (pre covid) and no issues at all. Mine was actually a set of 4 bearings, about £140. Looking through emails Alyn said they were approx £110 for 3 bearings from him.
Old 05 June 2020, 06:38 PM
jjonathan
Scooby Regular

That's where mine came from, forget the user name if you know it it might ring a bell, but they were genuine bearings, delivered quickly (pre covid) and no issues at all. Mine was actually a set of 4 bearings, about £140. Looking through emails Alyn said they were approx £110 for 3 bearings from him.
  • yeah they were called Subaru experts, I’ll see what prices as performance come back with
Old 05 June 2020, 08:41 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjonathan
  • yeah they were called Subaru experts, I’ll see what prices as performance come back with
yes that's the seller I got mine from, no problems with the purchase at all.