Sponsored by:

Classic suffering Bump steer

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2020, 11:38 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Classic suffering Bump steer

My classic suffers quite bad from bump steer,not sure if the rear whiteline 24mm antirollbar has contributed to it, i have it set to the stiffest setting as harsh driving round bends the front drifts out, anyhoo, car is lowered/fitted with showa/kyb shocks with progressive springs, standard front ARB

Was looking to get the antibumpsteer balljoints and also the whiteline power steering rack bushes to help

Anybody fitted the balljoints and rack bushes and did they help ?

cheers
Old 29 February 2020, 12:20 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

Try setting rear arb to mid setting and get a full tracking set up done on the car see if it helps
Old 02 March 2020, 08:48 AM
RetroPug
Scooby Regular

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Bumpsteer (if that is genuinely what you're experiencing) is pure kinematics, and nothing to do with compliance, so rollbar stiffness won't affect it. It is possible to DIY measure your bumpsteer curves at home but it's a pain.

It could be understeer, or it could be that you've changed the geometry a lot when lowering and it is bumpsteer.
Old 02 March 2020, 04:47 PM
Jonny Cut Corners
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

As Retropug says, lowering any car can/will give bump steer. The more you drop it the worse it'll be. In simplistic terms, its to do with the difference in angle between the control arms and tie rods.
But you can get roll centre correction ball joints from whileline and possibly fuji racing (import car parts)

Old 03 March 2020, 04:40 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cheers guys, its definitely bump steer, any bump in the road causes slight left n right movement of the wheel needing constant minor correction if along a road with lots of bumps etc ( most roads round here ! )

I did have the whiteline Rear ARB set to the middle , then I tried the furthest setting, this was a mistake, made the car much worse at higher speed, so I have now resulted in the softest setting and the bumpsteer is better but still there so have just ordered the whiteline correction kit ( tie rods and balljoints ) along with a set of whiteline steering rack bushes.

Im hoping all these bits fitted plus another alignment should remove most of the bumpsteer being experienced, fingers crossed

The car is quite low so putting it down to the wishbone/steering rack being too straight and needing some angle put back into them

cheers
Old 03 March 2020, 05:10 PM
Jonny Cut Corners
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Let us know how you get on.
I think the whiteline kit should all but solve the issue. It improved my track car, but I never felt masses of bump steer tbh.
Old 03 March 2020, 08:03 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RetroPug
Bumpsteer (if that is genuinely what you're experiencing) is pure kinematics, and nothing to do with compliance, so rollbar stiffness won't affect it. It is possible to DIY measure your bumpsteer curves at home but it's a pain.

It could be understeer, or it could be that you've changed the geometry a lot when lowering and it is bumpsteer.
+2

Trending Topics

Old 03 March 2020, 09:58 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Failing track rod end would also cause bump steer. As has been said previously, a roll bar won't.
Your softening of the rear bar is bringing independence/grip back to the rear suspension.