Sponsored by:

Engine management light eml / cel

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2020, 12:42 PM
RIMMO_100
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine management light eml / cel

The previous owner of my 2007 hawkeye Impreza removed the 02 sensor for some reason (he has put a aftermarket exhaust one) and due to this the car has a fault p0134. But the engine light does not come on to show the error, it doesn't even light up at the self test part when the ignition is on before the engine is started. I'm hoping to fix the the engine light and take the car to be re mapped and see what they say about the sensor (if it needs it or not with the exhaust)

But I can't seen to see how the light has been disconnected, I've the wires coming out of the ecu and also into the speedo but they all seem fine, the back of the speedo looks fine too,

Can anyone give me some advise on the engine light and possibly also if it needs the front 02 sensor?
Old 26 January 2020, 01:13 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

Has the bulb been removed , have you traced the connection on the back of the speedo so you can see if it’s showing any voltage , i think new mot rules it may fail depending on tester as the eml is one of the things they test now , my front o2 sensor plugs in around the boost solenoid then joins the exhaust by the front wheel , no reason a hole can not be drilled in the up pipe and a suitable size bolt welded in then one working sensor
Old 26 January 2020, 05:59 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

You may find that the eml light is an SMD type LED on the printed circuit board within the combimeter.

If the car is still on the original Subaru ECU, then the front O2 sensor (A/F -air/fuel sensor) is an integral part of the engine management / emissions control systems.
Old 25 February 2020, 05:13 PM
RIMMO_100
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
Has the bulb been removed , have you traced the connection on the back of the speedo so you can see if it’s showing any voltage , i think new mot rules it may fail depending on tester as the eml is one of the things they test now , my front o2 sensor plugs in around the boost solenoid then joins the exhaust by the front wheel , no reason a hole can not be drilled in the up pipe and a suitable size bolt welded in then one working sensor

I've taken the instrument panel out and the led bulb was broken. i have soldered in a new led and it is working. now i just need to work out if i need the front 02 sensor or if Duncan graham can map/sort it when i get hold of him as he has previously mapped the car according to the previous owner.
Old 25 February 2020, 05:16 PM
RIMMO_100
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Don Clark
You may find that the eml light is an SMD type LED on the printed circuit board within the combimeter.

If the car is still on the original Subaru ECU, then the front O2 sensor (A/F -air/fuel sensor) is an integral part of the engine management / emissions control systems.

I've taken the instrument panel out and the led bulb was broken. i have soldered in a new led and it is working. I now the car has the original ecu in the car but i believe it has been remapped by Duncan Graham. i am unsure on if he mapped to use or not use the sensor though as i know some mappers will map the fuelling to not use the sensor. i am awaiting him to get back to me so i can book in and let him look at the map