JDM Import Questions

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2019, 05:42 PM
carwyndavies
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM Import Questions

Hi all, Merry Christmas!

Looking at becoming the first UK owner of a JDM Hawk Wagon, I've tried to do a few searches around the forum as it will be my first import, but I still have some questions. I won't be dealing with the actual import process but do want to make sure everything is right. If anyone can help with a bit of advice that would be much appreciated.

Firstly, alarms. I understand the JDM models don't have the full cat 1 alarm of UK cars, but they do have a factory immobiliser - is this correct? (MY07) Is the factory immobiliser up to cat 2 standard, or is it regarded as essential to put an aftermarket unit on? I am cautious of the horror stories of cars not starting, random glitches etc but equally would like a good deterrent in there! It seems like a well installed reputable unit (Cobra? Toad?) shouldn't cause problems.

Secondly, speedo. There seem to be different ways of converting this, what do people have on their own cars? Have you kept the dials in kph or is it possible to put a uk spec dial cluster in, along with a conversion chip to mph? Or does this muck up the higher redline on JDM units?

Finally, it's pretty much mint underneath so it's getting a good whack of protection. Unless anyone can convince me otherwise the Bilt Hamber range seems to be the way to go on that score.

Sorry if there's stuff on the forum I've not found yet but haven't quite got all the answers!

Cheers
Old 27 December 2019, 07:07 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Hello and welcome.
who's importing it for you as like you I was so confused by the information out there.

I was told a light around the ignition meant there was an immobiliser and expected my hawk to come without it.
when it arrives and booked in for its security install the guy doing it advised me it had 4 different security systems on it.

I think the masts blocking the immobiliser issue was only on older cars and nothing to worry about.
When I got my insurance - and expecting a nightmare for an import my biggest hurdle was finding someone who would insure me as I was going from a Honda Jazz to my hawk.

They were not bothered about the 14yrs experience or the high powered cars I had before hand but that in the last year I was all gangster in my 95bhp jazz. - They didn't seem bothered about security either.

I paid my importe to convert it to MPH but have read that it's fairly easy to do and you buy the chip on ebay.

Last edited by RobsyUK; 27 December 2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 27 December 2019, 07:55 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

yes put a good alarm on most have an immobiliser on them but often not cat approved , the speedo can be converted for about 50£ , on ebay you buy a chip for 50£ , you solder it into the gearbox speedo output cable it’s pretty easy to do , it slows down the gearbox output pulse ?? so it gives an mph reading rather than kph , and in effect removes the 112 mph speed limiter , and under sealing i used dinitrol and did it myself , cost about 60£ with applicator and cavity pipe , there will be some under sealing but not enough in the right place
Old 27 December 2019, 08:31 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
yes put a good alarm on most have an immobiliser on them but often not cat approved , the speedo can be converted for about 50£ , on ebay you buy a chip for 50£ , you solder it into the gearbox speedo output cable it’s pretty easy to do , it slows down the gearbox output pulse ?? so it gives an mph reading rather than kph , and in effect removes the 112 mph speed limiter , and under sealing i used dinitrol and did it myself , cost about 60£ with applicator and cavity pipe , there will be some under sealing but not enough in the right place
When mine was converted they asked if I wanted the limiter taken off for extra £££.
I said no as 112 is quick enough. - never tried getting near it but does converting it remove the limit by default?
Old 27 December 2019, 08:54 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

it does not remove it but the limit is raised , 112 mph x 1.6 moves the limit to around 180 mph , in simple limiter is still there but as it reads in mph not kph so it’s way higher than 112 mph
Old 27 December 2019, 10:09 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

My Impreza had underselling from new and is in fairly good nick. I would get it fully undersealed. Unless it's just a summer car and garage most of the year.

Last edited by jaygsi; 27 December 2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 28 December 2019, 07:21 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
it does not remove it but the limit is raised , 112 mph x 1.6 moves the limit to around 180 mph , in simple limiter is still there but as it reads in mph not kph so it’s way higher than 112 mph
I did wonder this.
To be honest I'll probably never find out

Trending Topics

Old 28 December 2019, 01:35 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

the chip is very easy to fit , it changes it from kph to mph and as above knocks the limiter up