Sponsored by:

Subaru hatchback 09 engine lagging and then stalling issue help

Search this Thread

Old 24 December 2019, 10:08 AM
Liam Gunn
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru hatchback 09 engine lagging and then stalling issue help

So lately I’ve been having this issue where I’ll be driving and I’ll put the foot down but the car wont go anywhere.. it feels like it’s lagging/struggling.. to go.. feels like it’s either misfiring or spluttering.. and if I put the clutch in it will just stall... this happens only sometimes.. the car can sometimes run for 1 hour or more but eventually this issue will occur again.. once the car stalls I have to wait about 10 minutes or so and it will start again.. I had a error code before and it was P0024 position camshaft censor.. so I took the car to the garage and they changed a censor for me but it’s not solved the issue..

engine is not standard.. it’s a EJ22 engine fully forged!

if you anyone has questions about the car that may help solve the issue please ask!

any help would really be appreciated!

Last edited by Liam Gunn; 24 December 2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 24 December 2019, 12:14 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

could do with more detail about the issue , speed ? normal acceleration ? any management lights on , do you have a code reader to read any codes when it does it .. etc , could be airflow meter starting to die , fuel pump issue not getting enough fuel , coil pack breaking down , cam or crank sensor , if it’s got no boost then could be a boost solenoid on the way out , more info as above may help as to the fault
Old 24 December 2019, 04:46 PM
Liam Gunn
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
could do with more detail about the issue , speed ? normal acceleration ? any management lights on , do you have a code reader to read any codes when it does it .. etc , could be airflow meter starting to die , fuel pump issue not getting enough fuel , coil pack breaking down , cam or crank sensor , if it’s got no boost then could be a boost solenoid on the way out , more info as above may help as to the fault
i would be driving about 30mph and I’ll put the foot down trying to go faster and then that problem would occur.. misfiring/spluttering.. strugging to pull.. there used to be a code on the car but I think the garage must of cleared it.. it was P0024(camshaft position censor) bank 2 timing the garage had the car and changed a censor but it hasn’t fixed the issue with my car
Old 24 December 2019, 06:09 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

if you don’t floor it and you accelerate gently does the speed go up , fuel pump or maf are two things i’m thinking , the other thing is give boost solenoid a good clean with carb cleaner in case it’s a boost issue , if the boost is the issue i think it hits about .5 of a bar
Old 24 December 2019, 06:35 PM
Liam Gunn
Scooby Newbie

if you don’t floor it and you accelerate gently does the speed go up , fuel pump or maf are two things i’m thinking , the other thing is give boost solenoid a good clean with carb cleaner in case it’s a boost issue , if the boost is the issue i think it hits about .5 of a bar
yeah if you gently accelerate the speed will go up but sometimes flooring it the car will go but like I said this issue randomly happens.. then give it 10 minutes and the car will turn back on again!
Old 24 December 2019, 07:14 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

my thoughts are fuel pump not supplying enough fuel so possibly starting to fail , the fuel pressure is around 40 psi and a stable pressure on idle , the maf could be beginning to fail , if the maf is failing it won’t show a cel or fault codes , plus clean the boost solenoid it is easy to clean and could be blocked or dirty , a blocked boost solenoid gives low boost as above
Old 24 December 2019, 07:42 PM
Liam Gunn
Scooby Newbie

my thoughts are fuel pump not supplying enough fuel so possibly starting to fail , the fuel pressure is around 40 psi and a stable pressure on idle , the maf could be beginning to fail , if the maf is failing it won’t show a cel or fault codes , plus clean the boost solenoid it is easy to clean and could be blocked or dirty , a blocked boost solenoid gives low boost as above
where abouts the solenoid?

Trending Topics

Old 24 December 2019, 09:14 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

not sure on the 09 plate , mine is left hand side bulk head as you stand at the front of the car looking at the engine , it has a 2 pin ? plug going into it plus too air pipes going into it coming off the turbo , the boost solenoid valve has a pipe in pipe out don’t get them mixed up but easy to clean carb cleaner sprayed into each hole
Old 24 December 2019, 10:43 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

not sure on the 09 plate , mine is left hand side bulk head as you stand at the front of the car looking at the engine , it has a 2 pin ? plug going into it plus too air pipes going into it coming off the turbo , the boost solenoid valve has a pipe in pipe out don’t get them mixed up but easy to clean carb cleaner sprayed into each hole
Under, and attached to, the silver cover on the inlet manifold

Old 27 December 2019, 06:42 PM
Liam Gunn
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Don Clark
Under, and attached to, the silver cover on the inlet manifold

thank you! I’ll give it a clean and see how I get on!
Old 27 December 2019, 06:43 PM
Liam Gunn
Scooby Newbie

I’ll give it a clean and let you know how I get on! Thank you for the help!