Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Engine cutout at full boost, full throttle

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2003, 09:24 PM
mbd
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, im wondering if you can help me.
Ive been having a problem with my engine cutting out since july.

On my absolutely standard 1997 2ltr turbo, once warmed up suitably, the engine seems to cut out momentarily at full throttle and full boost (above 3500rpm, usually about 4000rpm).

It gets worse, occuring lower down the revs as the engine gets hotter and it also keeps cutting out unless I come off full throttle slightly.

Its quite disturbing during overtaking, especially as the whole engine seems to cut out.
Can anyone help me as to what might be causing this? Is it a common problem perhaps?
Old 01 November 2003, 09:27 PM
mbd
Scooby Newbie

Having used the search function I did read some interesting posts on overboosting, but nothing to explain how to stop it.
As I said, the engine is standard so im not sure if this applies.
The car also had a full factory service within 10k miles ago, including plugs etc.
Old 01 November 2003, 09:44 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Sounds like fuel cut from too much boost.

If your car is standard it will probably be down to the standard boost control solenoid not being able to do it's job properly (possibly dirty and not operating properly). You can sort this by cleaning the solenoid and associated pipework out with carb cleaner.

You will be able to find out how it's done using the search facility on here. Try searching for solenoid cleaning or something similar.
Old 01 November 2003, 09:45 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Could also be the coil packs - breaking down the hotter they get and under boost.
Old 02 November 2003, 11:53 AM
ScoobyDuck
Scooby Regular

Smile

doubt its coil packs, as 97's dont have the individual ones like pre97 phase1 cars.

almost certainly fuel cut. 97's are renound for it, as they have the TD04 turbo, which spools too fast for the stnd ecu to catch & hence overboosts.
Get yourself a boost gauge to watch it, but 1st clean the pipes out to the control solenoid (use search) and if that dont fix it, then change the restrictor in the compressor to watsegate pipe (needs to be bigger size resitrictor)

Steve