Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying from the Channel Islands

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2001, 06:08 PM
Lou_C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering buying an MY99 Impreza from the Channel Islands and just wanted to get some advice from those in the know...

Is this considered an Import? I've been told it is a UK car but just want to make sure.

I know that it will have to be re-registered once I get it back here, do I just need to contact the DVLA? What are the costs involved with this?

The car was fitted with Air Conditioning by a dealer there... I thought this came as standard on MY99's.

Is there any tax involved with bringing it back?

Are there any other things I need to consider?

I'd really appreaciate and help or suggestions anyone can make.

Thanks

Louisa

Old 22 May 2001, 06:37 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Lou

I have some family in Gurnsey who told me a few bits and bobs about cars there.

The speed limit is only 40mhp MAX! Most cars will never have been in fifth gear. If they ever go to the mainland they thrash the pants off them. Maybe not a good thing for a the engine when the car has never been over 40mph
Clutches don't last long because of all the stop starts.
Exhausts don't last long because of the salt in the air and the fact that they never heat up enough to get rid of all the moisture.

Other stuff that won't apply to you is that they don't have an MOT there so you can get some real heaps still on the road. Be very afraid!

Try and find one that has been on the mainland alot or has really, really really low miles.

Good luck

Mark
Old 22 May 2001, 06:40 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Louisa,

MY99 didn't come fitted with Aircon as standard.

As regard to the import, my tip to be sure would be call your nearest dealer and see if they are prepared to service it.

Dave
Old 22 May 2001, 07:12 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol!! Coming from Jersey - I do have to laugh at that second comment!!

Regarding tax, you will have to pay import duty tax (17.5%) - same as when you import anything else into the UK.

I had to temp pay tax when my car came from japan as it stopped in UK, and then I claimed it back - which u wont do - but just thought I would let you know.

PS> The speed limit in Jersey is 40, and in Guernsey it is 30mph.

[This message has been edited by ChristianR (edited 22 May 2001).]
Old 22 May 2001, 07:18 PM
Lou_C
Scooby Regular

Mark, Thanks for the advice, the car has done just under 6,000 miles, this is pretty low so I don't think I should have many problems, nice to know that it won't have been hammered around much!

Dave, I'll give my local dealer a ring and see if they can make any recommendations on any of it, thanks!

Christian, the Channel Islands are part of the UK are they not? So, I'm not importing the car, does the tax still apply?
Old 22 May 2001, 10:22 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nope, channel islands are complete separate - we are not even part of the EU!

so u will have to pay tax - but there are ways around it - though dodgy
Old 23 May 2001, 11:07 PM
Lou_C
Scooby Regular

lol

Think I'll give that one a miss!

Thanks for your advice!

Old 24 May 2001, 08:24 AM
Taff
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

You don't have to pay the VAT in the UK if you've owned the car in Guernsey for 6 months or more and then subsequently don't sell it within a year once its in the UK.

If you can find a way to "show" that you've owned it in Guernsey for the 6 months then you're laughing.

As for wear and tear - I had a Clio 16V there for 4 years. No replaced clutch, no rotten exhaust - despite the fact that the speed limit maxs out at 40 and can go as low as 15 its surprising how much fun you can have on some of the roads.

The quality cars there are generally well looked after - people seem to wash/polish them before every trip out.

Alternatively you could contact a dealer there and see what they can sort for you - they export a lot of 2nd hand and ex-rental cars to the UK in order to maintain prices on the island so if you're not bringing the car back to Guernsey then they may do you a good deal (VAT will apply of course). The ex-rental cars are superb - about 2000 miles all at low speed.

Cheers
Taff ex-guerner