Sponsored by:

Bc coilover help !

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2019, 05:07 PM
Davec30
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bc coilover help !

Looking for a bit of a guid in hight adjustment. What are people measuring and what hight is your car sitting? Mine is way too low. Tried bringing it up a bit but still too low. Pictures would be good also.

(blob WRX).

Thanks.

Dave
Old 05 November 2019, 05:10 PM
Davec30
Scooby Regular

Also looking for tips on what to use to free them up a bit
Old 05 November 2019, 08:54 PM
pjarvis6666
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Davec30
Looking for a bit of a guid in hight adjustment. What are people measuring and what hight is your car sitting? Mine is way too low. Tried bringing it up a bit but still too low. Pictures would be good also.

(blob WRX).

Thanks.

Dave
Hi Dave, i would put the car on a flat surface and measure from the centre of the wheels to the arch lip vertically up. take that measurement and then decide on how much higher/lower you want to go. example - if you want to move it 30mm then slacken off the bottom locking ring and wind the thread up/down to suit the height. Ill see if i have any pics.
Old 05 November 2019, 09:35 PM
pjarvis6666
Scooby Regular

slacken the bottom ring off then wind the threaded tube up/down with the top two rings against each other as leverage.
Old 05 November 2019, 09:40 PM
Davec30
Scooby Regular

I read a thread that 374 front and 354 rear would be a good starting point. Mine is way off this. I’ll need a good few hours to get it to that.
Old 05 November 2019, 09:41 PM
Davec30
Scooby Regular

Yeah I need to clean the threads out. I was struggling with the rears.
Old 05 November 2019, 09:56 PM
pjarvis6666
Scooby Regular

carefull not to knacker the threads as you will be in a whole world of disaster. Clean threads with a stiff nylon brush and try some wd40 and move back/forward slowly. Take your time and you will be fine

Trending Topics

Old 05 November 2019, 11:17 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

i’ve always measured the tread exposed based on the locking rings being in the same place at the top , as you compress the spring you will feel the resistance in the spring it’s a bit of trail and error after that as to where you want it to be , adjust it on flat ground , measure arch clearance before and after gives you a good idea how much it’s raised or lowered
Old 07 November 2019, 05:35 PM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would be careful with Winter approaching. My very best advice is to take them off ASAP and do the following.

1. Get them to an engineering shop and get a 32mm tap through the lower mounts and also clean the threads on the tubes. Once they have worn through the powder coat, the corrosion will set in and they will be ruined. It won't hurt to put a thin coat of etch onto them either.
2. Get on Ebay and buy a set of Neoprene spring covers.
3. Oder up a couple of cans of ACF-50 spray. It's aviation spec stuff to spray onto hinges and into crevices on light aircraft to prevent corrosion and problems.

Once this is done, lots of copper grease on the threads that go into the lower mounts. Set them to the minimum permitted which is 80mm. set the lock ring with 80mm of thread protruding and wind the lowers onto them.. Slap a pile of grease into the tube underneath to seal the threads and then set the spring preload to 5mm.
Finally go for a run to settle everything and measure once you are at half fuel and find a level place to stop.

You'll probably still be too low at this point, so just add more preload where you need it and finally make sure all lock rings are plenty tight then grease over them and fit the Neoprene socks.

That's about as much as you can do with the basic BR model.

I strip and re-grease my BC shocks every six months.
Old 07 November 2019, 06:38 PM
Davec30
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markyscoob
I would be careful with Winter approaching. My very best advice is to take them off ASAP and do the following.

1. Get them to an engineering shop and get a 32mm tap through the lower mounts and also clean the threads on the tubes. Once they have worn through the powder coat, the corrosion will set in and they will be ruined. It won't hurt to put a thin coat of etch onto them either.
2. Get on Ebay and buy a set of Neoprene spring covers.
3. Oder up a couple of cans of ACF-50 spray. It's aviation spec stuff to spray onto hinges and into crevices on light aircraft to prevent corrosion and problems.

Once this is done, lots of copper grease on the threads that go into the lower mounts. Set them to the minimum permitted which is 80mm. set the lock ring with 80mm of thread protruding and wind the lowers onto them.. Slap a pile of grease into the tube underneath to seal the threads and then set the spring preload to 5mm.
Finally go for a run to settle everything and measure once you are at half fuel and find a level place to stop.

You'll probably still be too low at this point, so just add more preload where you need it and finally make sure all lock rings are plenty tight then grease over them and fit the Neoprene socks.

That's about as much as you can do with the basic BR model.

I strip and re-grease my BC shocks every six months.

Jeez....anyone want to buy some BC coilovers!?!?!
Old 08 November 2019, 09:22 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

i put my bc on adjusted them , a bit of grease is a good idea , once adjusted i have left them alone as no need to readjust
Old 08 November 2019, 06:57 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the car in the garage flat surface..then measured from the ground to the arch..

Also measured the gap with the wheel off..
Old 09 November 2019, 04:13 PM
Davec30
Scooby Regular

Any pictures? And any idea of measurements?