Sponsored by:

Air bag light

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2019, 04:02 PM
andy_s37
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air bag light

I had the airbag light come onto the dash on my 2006 Hawk STI. I'd been cleaning the inside of the car out, hovering under the seats so started to have a rummage and found that the passenger seat had a resistor fitted into what I assume is the seat occupancy loom (yellow). I pushed the resistor back into place and the light has gone out however its a little concerning that this has been done. I whipped the seat out to have a look at the harness underneath but there is no wiring on the seat or the seatbelt clasp. Looking through the autotrader website comparing different cars (non Spec D) my car has the correct seats in it for the year/model and the drivers seat has 2 connector plugged into the bottom of it. Can anybody give me a heads up what's going on here? What are the effects of fitting the resistor? Does the car not know someone is sat in the passenger seat so wont deploy the airbag in the event of an accident?

Thanks
Old 30 May 2019, 04:51 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Is it a UK car?
The sports seats were supplied without side air bags so may have been changed out at sometime.

As your passenger seat doesn't appear to have a side airbag fitted ("there is no wiring on the seat" - therefore no connector for an airbag), the resistor in the loom connector, where it should attach, makes the system think it has and thus no fault code is generated.

As the side airbag sensor (assume so) is still in place the seat belt pretensioner will still deploy.

Assuming no seat heaters fitted (blue plugs),Drivers seat willl have two connections (Air bag (yellow plug) and seatbelt switch clear/opaque plug)

The seat belt switch is only on the drivers seat.

Last edited by Don Clark; 30 May 2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 30 May 2019, 05:25 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As Don suggests, it seems that the seats have been swapped out in the past and you now have seats without side airbags built into them, hence the need for the resistor "trick". This post will explain: https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...did-seats.html
Old 31 May 2019, 08:18 PM
andy_s37
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gents thanks for your replies. There are certainly no seat heater plugs installed, only the yellow one.