Sponsored by:

Please Help New Daily Workhorse Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2001, 02:39 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

The time has come for my wife to take over my Focus Deisel, so its time for me to look for a new Daily runner of which I can love driving and even thrape round on a the odd track day (Nurburgring)

Ok the 2 main cars ive narrowed it down to are :

BMW M3 EVO
Nissan Skyline GTR33 V Spec

I like the Beemer for its bulletproofness and I don't have to worry about it getting stolen as it blends in well, drives good and very comfortable with not so bad fuel economy.

Nissan Skyline as ive always wanted a nice R33, with this track days can be alot more fun and mild tuning can make alot of difference. This is smooth and driver feel is good with comfort at the same time.

I will still be using the BSRT 22B and RS200 for weekend fun hence needing something interesting for daily use, can you people help me??????

Harj...
Old 22 May 2001, 02:44 PM
bros
Scooby Regular

Harj

If you've already got two crazy cars for weekend fun, why not go for a 4 year old M5 for the week. And it doesn't acquit itself too badly at the Ring.

Bit pricey to run though.

Bros
Old 22 May 2001, 03:29 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Volvo T5R? Obviously not as desirable as the M3 / Skyline but fast & discreet. Or maybe another diesel: the S/V70 TDi is a real sleeper -- more torque than a T5 at just 1800rpm.

All can be had for between £10-14K.
Old 22 May 2001, 03:32 PM
Biffo
Scooby Regular

Harj
Go for the M3 mate!
You know it makes sense!
How about a TVR LOL
Seriously though....When are you next on the track with the 200.
Got to see that in action.
Biff
Old 22 May 2001, 03:34 PM
2wdcossie
Scooby Regular

harj, see my user name mate. cheap, fun and (best of all) RWD.

is your 200 the 575hp one that was there with stef and the RS boys this year?
Old 22 May 2001, 03:51 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Volvo T5R?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about a nice white one with some tasty blue and yellow stripes

Richard

Oh 2wdcossie.. Yes The RS200 is the one that was at the ring at easter
Old 22 May 2001, 03:55 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Harj,
I was recently myself considering changing my car for a Skyline but have since thought better of it!
However whilst I was looking into it I did see a V spec one on
Old 22 May 2001, 04:24 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Cool

Without a doubt the M3 is the drivers car out of the two!! No slouch either as I have seen standard M3 EVO's doing high 12's 1/4 runs at SantaPod.

I have driven a couple as you have Harj and rear wheel drive is where the action is!!! Especially with 320bhp!!! Oh, and that's held through a majority of the rev range.........and NO turbo lag!!! Not sure what the running costs are on a Skyline, but the M3 isn't gonna be cheap. Servicing is mega dear and is more frequent then I would like!!!

The skyline is an awesome car without doubt, but how much of a drivers car do you want....I would suggest that the M3 is more exciting to drive without the 4wd and gizmo's, but then that would be personal choice. If you wanted to increase your driving ability , i'm sure the M3 would be the car to do it in out of the two.

As you mentioned as well, the M3 would have more chance of been untouched by unwanted hands.

Get a nice coupe or soft-top (which IMHO is one of THE best looking soft-tops money can buy), and get them rear tyres smoking!!!

Shaun.
Old 22 May 2001, 05:43 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with Shaun

The M3 is the driver's car of the two.

It's also probably the easiest powerful RWD car to drive known to man! But..

The fact that it is RWD means that you would be slower on track days by a considerable margin unless you have the ability to get the most out of it.

But as a daily drive, there is very little that is more suitable IMHO.

One thing that's for sure, it's SO nice to have REAL power on tap without having to wait for the turbo, etc.

Cheers

Simon
Old 22 May 2001, 06:18 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>The fact that it is RWD means that you would be slower on track days by a considerable margin unless you have the ability to get the most out of it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I guess he'll just be slower on track then

Richard

Old 22 May 2001, 07:17 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Talking

M3 without question. Engines that last a lifetime.

A local lad to me who valets at a Merc Dealership got one for £8000.00 with 160,000 miles on it (FBMWSH) and this thing does not miss a beat. Yeah, its done some miles but it eats most things around. I had a play in it a while back, if you can handle RWD (I know you can as you have that big ole' Lexus and the 22b is similar in poise) then the M3 is the car that you would choose...

Oh yeah, at 80 mph his is comfortably returning 32-35mpg on motorways

Nuff Said.

Big' Up the beemer
Old 22 May 2001, 07:43 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry

You Bstd!

Rub it why don't you, I know that you are considerably richer than me.

Oh lardy dar, choices choices, um shall I have the Skyline today or the M3,oh what a dilema.

The answer, of course, is to get both- dar!
And I'm angry 'cos I can only afford one of them

F

Old 22 May 2001, 08:58 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cheers for the comments chaps and Floyd LOL

The Beemer is looking like the peoples favourite so far, hmm this is killing me!!!!

Drove an SMG M3 today which was awesome but didn't feel as quick as a manual even though on paper they are identical so ive gotta drive another manual I think.

Decisions Decisions, im getting more grey hair. Please remember if I did become a Beemer driver im not a TOSSER!!! Like the rest of them

Keep the comments coming though chaps as it really does help hearing from others.

Harj...
Old 22 May 2001, 09:28 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Harj,

Beemer or not you will still be a tos.....

Why not be different, don't get a Beemer or a Skyline.

As an everyday car, I reckon the best thing for you would be a Renault Megane Scenic.

Seriously, consider an Alfa 156 Sportwagon V6 with the sport pack. Looks good, goes like stink, and totally practical.

There again, you could actually tell us what your budget is and your requirements. Do you need load space, or good economy or good residuals etc. etc.

Cheers

Ian
Old 22 May 2001, 10:19 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Watty cheers for the kind comments

I don't really have a budget in mind, if I saw a car for 25K or 12K I would go for the one I preferred. Fuel Economy does help, space is not a key factor as ive still got the other motors for the push chair and shopping.

I want something that I can take onto track and have as much fun with that than I would in the 22B.

Old 22 May 2001, 10:36 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Harj,

If it doesn't have to be practical and you want fun on track, then I can suggest a Toyota Supra or Toyota MR2 Turbo. Both very quick cars but can be heavy on fuel if you are heavy on the loud pedal. Supra more practical than MR2, but there again is bigger. Both RWD for that **** out action. Obviously, both turbo'ed but MR2 especially is very unlaggy. Both very tunable, but Supra can get big power

BMW's ? Pah, nuff of them on the roads But E30 M3 is an awesome track car, even in factory form and still practical, has four seats, a usable boot etc. But left hooker. Also very tuneable. Good ones hold their value well.

Any VTEC Type R's, you see how much fun Matt has in his Civic, instant throttle response, revs to a zillion rpm etc.

You could also go nutty and go for a Westfield, Caterham etc. but I guess not your style ?

That's it, my brain has dried up for now....

Cheers

Ian
Old 22 May 2001, 11:24 PM
GMT
Scooby Regular

I owned an M3 (3.0 non EVO) for the last 15 months till 3 days ago when I bought an Impreza

Got to say the impreza is miles ahead in terms of the handling.

Also, with regards to unwanted attention, it could be just the area I'm in , but in the 15 months I had it, it had the wing mirrors stolen, front bumper stolen and one of the side skirts stolen. And this was after spending £600 on a Clifford alarm with sense and tell !

I also reckon the M3's are too common ... you never see Skylines around.. more exclusive

Graham
Old 22 May 2001, 11:55 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

&gt;&gt;Oh 2wdcossie.. Yes The RS200 is the one that was at the ring at easter

Rich, you probably don't know Harj, but he just admitted his top motor was a Focus Diesel. How could he ever dream to have such a beast in his garage...

Old 23 May 2001, 06:09 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

my choice? Skyline V spec; awesome car - used to own a reasonably standard Skyline GTS, which, with its HICAS 4 wheel steering (NOT 4wd) was superb to drive on bendy roads; it used to feel like the faster into the corner, the more the car would 'sit' into the road.

The rear end was a bit twitchy in the wet when accelerating on motorways, but once this behaviour is known it can be catered for ...

Go v-spec (0-60mph in 4.9secs can't be wrong)
Old 23 May 2001, 12:24 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Now now Theo lets not be childish about this LOL

It was either buy the wife a spanking new car or give her the Oil burner of which she's happy with after I get it valeted (Calling Mat Oz )

So I thought it yep time to treat myself to something more interesting for the daily driver.

Old 23 May 2001, 12:28 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>It was either buy the wife a spanking new car <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you should buy Robbie a nice new car

Richard
Old 23 May 2001, 01:27 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Dreammmmm dream dream dream dream ddrrreeeaaammm.
Song init :
Everley bros
Old 23 May 2001, 01:36 PM
Biffo
Scooby Regular

Oi Birdie!
Thought you flew away from Scoobynet?
Uncle Biff
Old 23 May 2001, 01:51 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Smile

HOLD ON
Did you say the Focus was your fav car?
Don't blame you, fantastic handling just a bit slow..
roll on 2002 when the Focus RS is launched (due Oct 01 but now delayed 'till Jan 02)
230 bhp and a predicted top speed of over 150mph sounds like it should just about out-perform your oil burner.....
and if that's not enough there's a Cosworth version to follow.
Praise be to the blue oval.
Old 23 May 2001, 01:52 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Smile

HOLD ON
Did you say the Focus was your fav car?
Don't blame you, fantastic handling just a bit slow..
roll on 2002 when the Focus RS is launched (due Oct 01 but now delayed 'till Jan 02)
230 bhp and a predicted top speed of over 150mph sounds like it should just about out-perform your oil burner.....
and if that's not enough there's a Cosworth version to follow.
Praise be to the blue oval.
Old 23 May 2001, 01:54 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Birdies come back for more abuse from us LOL

Regacy I love my Focus as it gives us 50mpg and handles like a dream with the rubber and wheel combo I have on it

I took it to an track day and overtook some Scoobs in a Deisel now that proved how good a std Focus can do let alone the new RS

Old 23 May 2001, 01:57 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

If its a diesel you're after, surely its gotta be the 330d?
Old 23 May 2001, 02:10 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Diesel....
21% of UK new car sales so far this year have been diesel (Europe average is 32%)
The car industry is preparing for a huge rush to diesel power over the next 12 months as the effects of new UK company car tax rules sink in. These are based on CO2 emissions where diesel engines excel, so many drivers will be far better off with diesel.
(interesting article in this weeks Autocar)
Old 23 May 2001, 02:18 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Regacy:
<B>Diesel....
21% of UK new car sales so far this year have been diesel (Europe average is 32%)
The car industry is preparing for a huge rush to diesel power over the next 12 months as the effects of new UK company car tax rules sink in. These are based on CO2 emissions where diesel engines excel, so many drivers will be far better off with diesel.
(interesting article in this weeks Autocar)[/quote]

Three months of 330d ownership and I am almost £1500 better off on fuel costs alone

Add in less tyre wear, longer service intervals, less modification temptation and FAR less depreciation I am £1000's better off already!!

...And still get from A to B in the same time I did in the Impreza in all but the extreme 1% of situations

The future is here....the future is the performance diesel

Old 23 May 2001, 02:23 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Wink

The boom in diesel car registrations is threatening to spark a crash in residual values of oil burners, trade experts claim. It's bad news for the burgeoning number of people who are choosing diesels in a bid to cut their fuel bills.....
So don't count your chickens!