Trackday insurance & Priviledge

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2001, 11:00 AM
andymac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,
I've just got off the phone with Priviledge and they've told me that they don't do trackday cover any more. However looking through their policy it neither includes or excludes track day cover (or racing for that matter). I'm sure a while ago I read that there was some ruling on this from the insurance ombudsman that if it's not racing / timed, then it's just driving on a private road and hence should still be covered.
Can somebody dig stuff out for me as I don't really want to take out insurance when I don't need to.

ta

Andy
Old 23 May 2001, 11:18 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

I checked this morning as I was a little concerned. As I think others have said, Privilege will not cover you for Trackdays from now on for new business. But for existing customers who have been covered, that will continue as long as you hold a policy. Also Tracker type devices will from now on be needed for Impreza turbos (he didnt know if this counted stnd WRX, but definitely needed for STIs). But once again this is only for new policies or if you buy a new car. It does not effect existing policies on the same car.
Old 23 May 2001, 11:19 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

How long have you been running your policy?

I have been with privilege for a few years now, and hence have the older policy.

They changed to a new policy last septempber, but those renewing older policies still received the same terms and conditions which allowed track days.

There were a few amendments to the old policies which said onlyu one car on track at the moment, but this is now gone. The limit is racing and timing laps.

If you operate the old policy, you should eb able to ring up and confirm your cover, the new policy doe snot say anything on it, but a call and check with the underwriters will confirm they wont cover you even if they dont expressly write no, these are the people who will decide on paying out.

Even on the old policy, you have to confirm an interest in trackdays, whcih they note on your account, otherwise this luxury will be removed after renewal, so everyone with the old policy should ring up for the sake of it and it will be permanentely noted on your file.

I am having confirmation sent to me, and have also been told, cover and excess are exactly the same as if on the road.

safest thing to do is to ring customer services and speak to them directly.

0870 6073333

hope this helps in some way.

Old 23 May 2001, 02:43 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Question

I've just cancelled my Priv. insurance as I've sold my car. I asked about this existing policy and track day use and was told that all policies cover track days. this was a customer services supervisor too, not a salesperson who tend not to know about details like this.

I think the key is to get in writing what ever an insurance agent tells you.

Steve