ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Main dealer rant

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2018, 05:07 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Main dealer rant

I've just been to see a UK spec legacy, a late model 3.0 R spec B, at a main Subaru dealer. It had more miles on It than I really wanted, but the MOT history looked good, albeit with one recent advisory for some worn front wishbone bushes, which the garage said could be fixed for the sale if the price was right.
The pictures looked great, the salesman said it had been owned by a retired chap who traded it it for something slower. It had a recent exhaust Y pipe, new clutch, belts and rollers.
So I booked half a day off work to go and visit. It was a 90 minute drive.
When I got there I saw they wheels were badly curbed. All the tyres were mismatched budgets and the front was so badly scratched and scraped it looked like it had been through a bush at high speed.
Starting up the engine and the EML light was on. Poking around the glove box there was paperwork from April (from this dealer) saying it needed a new main cat.
The drivers side exhaust cam sensor was wet with oil. The air con compressor clicked on and off with a huge clunk, enough to make me jump first time. Apparently they all do that.
On a test drive it actually drove very nicely for a high mileage car. But the manual gearbox was like stirring a bucket of bricks with a stick. And finally the SI drive wouldn't change mode, it just flashed an error when we tried the ****.
This car was not a bargain basement eBay special/project but from a subaru main dealer forecourt. Looking at the paperwork they had taken the car as part exchange in April, so it's been there a while.
Why wouldn't you fix this before trying to sell it?
Rant over. What a waste of time.

Last edited by Cambs_Stuart; 30 November 2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 30 November 2018, 06:10 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Sounds like they need to trade that out to BCA as is....not retail it.
Old 30 November 2018, 06:27 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Realistically it needs a new cat and probably a lambda sensor which might sort out the EML and possibly the SI drive issue too. Then some new wishbone bushes, a new gear lever linkage and exhaust cam sensor. Then the wheels refurbed and possibly a decent set of tyres. And I forgot, the boot wouldn't stay shut, so that also needs some investigation.
None of which would be off putting. Wheels and tyres aside it'd cost probably £300 for the wishbone bushes, £350 for the cat, £50 for a new sensor and possibly £150 for the gear change. So let's say a grand with a bit of contingency in case anything is a bit more complicated. But this car was for sale at full market price.
I'm really annoyed. I had high hopes for this one.

Last edited by Cambs_Stuart; 30 November 2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01 December 2018, 08:13 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

so when you pointed out the issues what did the dealer say?

When I bought my 52 plate Forester Sport from Evans Halshaw two years ago... it was sitting at the back of their car park field....
a few issues which they said they'd fix (blown back box and a couple of easy mechanical fixes) gave it a service and MOT before I picked it up... plus washed it all.
Old 01 December 2018, 09:10 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Very non committal. They said it passed the MOT no problem. But I'm fairly sure an EML light would be a fail, and most of the rest of the issues would be worth a mention. I've listed the problems to the dealer and I'll see what they say.
The most annoying part is that I only visited after a few call and emails, was assured that despite the mileage it was in great condition, only to find a car that needs a grand spent on it.
Old 01 December 2018, 04:05 PM
Russell38
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambs_Stuart
Very non committal. They said it passed the MOT no problem. But I'm fairly sure an EML light would be a fail, and most of the rest of the issues would be worth a mention. I've listed the problems to the dealer and I'll see what they say.
The most annoying part is that I only visited after a few call and emails, was assured that despite the mileage it was in great condition, only to find a car that needs a grand spent on it.
Did you make them an offer minus the cost of what needed doing
Old 01 December 2018, 04:20 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

I said I'm interested, but I'd want the issues resolved and a decent warranty before proceeding. I'll see how it goes. I'm not in a huge rush, but this was the perfect spec (manual, leather, SI drive, sunroof, sat nav, parking sensors etc) and a mere 90 minute drive.
if they don't come back I might make a cash offer based on the work I know needs doing.