Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2018, 07:01 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts
Default OSF Twink Noise - 2007 STi - Short Video

Hi all,

Any ideas what this is?
It happens when I get in the car in the morning, or after work.
Always parked flat, tried handbrake on or off, no difference.
Only makes the sound once, then wont hear it until after work and the next day etc.....

Standard front ARB / droplinks, suspension, springs.....all standard.
It made this noise from me just pushing my left foot down in the drivers footwell.....

I can sort of compare the noise to a torque wrench click.....just louder.
Recently had OSF strut and top mount replaced (std Subaru) and no difference. Spring ok, not broken etc.
This has been happening now for perhaps a year.....

Can't hear any knocks going along....strange one. Can't see anything obviously loose anywhere.

Last edited by Hawkeye D; 03 October 2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03 October 2018, 08:03 PM
Dreep
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a very similiar noise occuring shortly after I installed my coilovers. It also came from the OSF, albeit, it would make the noise when turning at low speeds. It then got progressively worse and I could make the noise happen whilst steering left to right at a standstill with my foot on the brake. I rechecked and re-torqued all of the components on the coilover to ensure that wasn't the problem, couldn't be ball joints as I had already replaced them, checked the brake caliper incase the threads had given up and the noise was the caliper moving. Everything checked out to be OK. The only thing that I basically had not checked at that OSF was the two bolts which secured the shock absorber to the hub knuckle. I loosened both of these bolts, gave them a little wiggle (bear in mind one is accentric and will affect camber) and then retightened and voila, the noise has since gone and not come back.

I can only assume that the shock absorber had not been correctly seated or sitting flush with the hub knuckle causing the clacking noise to occur. It literally sounds exactly the same as you have shown in your video so I would give this a go also.

Last edited by Dreep; 03 October 2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03 October 2018, 08:28 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Possible, but this has been happening for ages before my strut was replaced....still no different....
Old 10 October 2018, 11:34 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Checked yesterday....nothing loose.....
Old 10 October 2018, 12:43 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

If you use the foot brake then does it make the noise , i was thinking brake pads or shims moving as i used to get that on my fsti , i did a brake “refresh “ and it’s fine now , it was possibly pads or shims getting stuck
Old 10 October 2018, 03:55 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vxr2010
If you use the foot brake then does it make the noise , i was thinking brake pads or shims moving as i used to get that on my fsti , i did a brake “refresh “ and it’s fine now , it was possibly pads or shims getting stuck
Sadly not, serviced brakes a few weeks ago, it's been doing this for ages. Foot on brake - no difference....Handbrake off all night and left in gear. Rock the car and it makes the noise.
As I jacked the car up yesterday it made the noise. I was touching the caliper as wondered if the caliper itself was loose. Solid as a rock....and could feel no movement on the actual caliper.

It's doing my head in, everything is rock solid under there!
I would say wheel bearing or driveshaft, but going along it all sounds completely normal.

It makes the noise just once as per the video, it's not constant. I wont hear it until tomorrow when I get back in the car.
Old 21 October 2018, 09:30 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Exhaust touching something perhaps?
Old 21 October 2018, 01:41 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Hub nut potentially? Though it's strange that it only happens once
Old 22 October 2018, 06:05 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gambit
Hub nut potentially? Though it's strange that it only happens once
Well, when I get in the car, but I also think I hear it as I pull away / first move the car about a foot or so....

I looked at the hub nut, but it had the piece that was bent in from the factory into the small gap - still had the blue factory blob of paint on it.
I couldn't move the metal piece that's dented into the hub nut gap - wasn't sure what to use to bend that out and allow me to check the 32mm hub nut torque.....it's quite a tough thick-ish piece that's bent in to stop it undoing....

Could it have moved? Given that the metal sleeve surrounding the hub nut still had the factory paint on it and has never been touched?
Old 22 October 2018, 07:09 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

I have heard/read/seen stories (on here also) of them causing an annoying clunk even with the security tab still in place, and simply replacing with new hub nut to correct torque has cured it but I think it's more rears the issue occurs

But I suspect you'd hear it more often. Though likewise it's not expensive to replace and rules out another potential cause