Sponsored by:

Broken Down

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2001, 03:19 PM
CJRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I thought they were ment to be reliable! On the slip road down to the M3 this morning, completely cut out on me.
The engine starts, just, but then dies as if there is not enough fuel getting to it.
Top marks to Subaru Assist, after getting the car home, already booked in for tomorrow morning at Lancaster Pangbourne and a hire car arriving.
Any ideas on the fault?
Old 15 May 2001, 02:23 PM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yup! This has happened to me a few times. Ive been caning it and its just died after about 120 miles. Seems the fuel just evaporates out of the tank until there is none left. Costs about 45 quid to fix at the local Shell garage.

Lets face it, it couldnt be anything else!
Old 15 May 2001, 03:56 PM
CJRH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Very funny Greg115!! I think I know if it had fuel in it or not!! I'd only filled up the night before with Super Unleaded!!!
The things completely knackered, it went off on a flat bed yesterday to the garrage.
Old 16 May 2001, 10:56 AM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Talking

My apologies. I couldnt resist it. Hope you get your car fixed soon. However in 5 years of Scooby ownership I have never had a problem that caused the car to break down.
Kind Regards
greg
Old 16 May 2001, 01:16 PM
CJRH
Scooby Regular

Red face

Just spoken to the garage, apparently it was the air flow sensor that had gone wrong. How on earth can this kill the car completely???
Any thoughts out there?
Old 16 May 2001, 01:23 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Talking

CJRH,

Is the air flow sensor the same as the O2 or Lambda sensor? I had exactly the same problem with mine (MY99) and had to have the sensor changed.

It caused the car to mis-fire now and again and then just cut out completely.

The new sensor fixed the problem completely. I think I remember the dealer saying the mix only has to be slightly out for it to affect the engine (or something......is my lack of technical knowledge showing here? ).

Hope this helps

blubs
Old 16 May 2001, 02:45 PM
CJRH
Scooby Regular

Blubs, not sure, from what the garrage told me I think its the in-line sensor after the air filter. There was a Blitz induction kit fitted, could this have damaged it? It was soon swapped out to the normal air box before I wrang up Subaru!!!
Old 16 May 2001, 03:30 PM
Basil
Scooby Regular

The air flow sensor is located near the airbox - here in the States, we have a problem with our MY99's and aftermarket intakes - the MAF (air flow sensor) dies, and it costs about $300 to replace. Not sure about your car, since it's a WRX, but with our RS's, you can disconnect the MAF, which will put the car into LimpHome mode - you won't be able to rev over 3k, but it'll get you home at least..

Yes, the Blitz could very well have been at fault - I believe I even saw a service bulletin here on Scoobynet talking about aftermarket filters. I'm afriad you're gonna get stuck with the bill..

The MAF is, I believe, a hot-wire setup - it runs current through a wire then measures the air-flow past it. If this gets contaminated, that's the end of the MAF..

Basil

[This message has been edited by Basil (edited 16 May 2001).]
Old 16 May 2001, 03:48 PM
CJRH
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers Basil, I think your probably right about it being the after market induction kit breaking the MAF. Luckily I had time to swap over the non standard parts back to the originals so this is all going through on the warranty. Maybe a bit sneaky of me to swap everything back?!
I was thinking about going for a replacement panel filter when I get the car back, quieter and hopefully less damaging.
Old 16 May 2001, 04:03 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Hi CJ,

My air flow sensor went on my 95 STI, the car stuttered badly, never died though,
Andyp
Old 21 May 2001, 04:48 PM
Basil
Scooby Regular

hehe - that's what we do here in the States.. That's not a cheap part..

If you go for a different filter, you might want to try a Pipercross - I'm running a Pipercross cone filter right now, and am very pleased..

Basil

[This message has been edited by Basil (edited 21 May 2001).]
Old 21 May 2001, 05:29 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

CJRH

All IMHO and without prejudice
There has bin a fair bit of talk re induction kits and MAF sensors going kaput.

The dealers were sent a memo 'bout 4 months ago from IM re this and the fact they will not pay out if the MAF has bin damaged by an induction kit or non-gen filter.

From what i remember ther are two types of MAF's fitted to MY99's or is it one?, anyway it seems to be pot luck i am afraid.

I have a Pipercross kit on my MY99. I got it from my local dealer who fitted it (and made a good job of it). I have had it on the car for 9 months 20K miles without so much as a hiccup. Other people have had P/x kits on their cars and they have gone within a few miles. It is not just Pipercross K&N, HKS and Blitz and ITG-panels to name a few.

BTW- I had my MAF checked on the diagnostic kit at the garage and it is ok (for now)

Few theories
Incorrect fitting - not bolted on properly and vibrations have 'screwed' the MAF up

Over oiling causing the MAF to fail

The increased/direct airflow over the surface of the MAF wearing it prematurely.

My dealer informed me that if it did cause a MAF failure then i would be liable for the replacement - and was not keen to refund the money i spent on the after market filter i purchased from them God bless 'em.

Pipercross have now released an new 'dry' filter which does not require oiling and have offered me one as a replacement for mine. I have to say that i am not sure if overoiling is the cause and i am loathed to swap it out for the new one as it seems fine - after 18K i would have thought that it would have gone by now (he says frantically touching his imitation wood desk).

In conclusion - i do not have a conclusion - try a search on Induction kits - there has been loads posted - the MY99 does seem to have a weak MAF sensor thou' and the dealers/IM are wise to it and the causes of failure.

Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 22 May 2001).]
Old 22 May 2001, 06:06 PM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

MAFS changed from Hot-Wire to Hot-Film at MY99. Unfortunately these are more sensitive to vibration and contamination.

HKS kits have a gasket with a little tongue on it thats supposed to prevent contamination, dont think other brands have this though.

Blitz are quite well known for quite a low level of filtration (they let more c**p through).

Vibration is overcome by ensuring the thing is bolted down properly.

Wonder if you could put a wire MAF from an MY98 into an MY99 car????

James.
Old 22 May 2001, 06:25 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

CJRH,

I have heard of someone with a P1 with *exactly* the same problem --> following the installation of an aftermarket filter. Free-flow filters also seem to allow small amounts of oil through (from the filter intself) which can knacker the sensor......
It could have been worse though ! - hope you get it fixed soon...

Gastro