Sponsored by:

Which scooby to buy

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2018, 09:35 AM
ditchyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which scooby to buy

I'm looking at potentially purchasing another scooby but with limited budget, what would be the better buy for holding its value long term as it will be a second car and not used much.
i have been thinking of a Turbo 2000 that has had arches / corrosion sorted and some mods or tidy blob Sti preferably wide track (probably out my budget).
I would be open to a nice blob wagon with low miles.
Are turbo 2000s likely to increase in value?
what about tidy low mile blobs? Or is it really only limited editions that will increase?
thanks
Old 02 August 2018, 09:44 AM
funkyrimpler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO the only turbo 2000's that will be particularly sought after will be the mint, ultra low mile, full history cars, but these will never attain the value of the special editions.
If you could stretch your budget then perhaps an RB5 could be a consideration? This is essentially a turbo 2000+
The turbo 2000 is the unsung hero of the GC8's in my view, because they are accessible and offer most of the looks and real world performance of the STi's and special editions..They are also the way that the vast majority of people experience Subaru ownership and hopefully return to buy another...
Old 02 August 2018, 09:44 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What is your budget?
Old 02 August 2018, 11:00 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What is your budget?
What do you intend to do with it, mod it, keep it OE, store it away?
Have you considered the insurance costs if you are younger?
The real money is in the JDM cars but the import costs are high.
Old 02 August 2018, 02:35 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Perhaps a version 7 prodrive bug sti
Old 02 August 2018, 04:31 PM
ditchyboy
Scooby Regular

I’m 35 in Feb and I don’t feel young with two kids running rings around me,lol! Think insurance on limited miles should be ok. doubt I’ll have enough cash to mod much so ideally something that just needs little tweaks, if mint and standard then I’d leave it.
Ive seen this: https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/subaru-impr...2228%7Ciid%3A1

only things im not sure on are, some receipts missing, only outer skin of rear arches done,its still on original gearbox which I imagine is a worry. Wouldn’t want a big bill for a 6 speed box supplied and installed fairly soon.
Old 02 August 2018, 04:38 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The gearbox is a worry if the power and torque level are to be believed. It is not mint but the engine looks well spec'd. Not an investment car in my opinion.
Appreciating classic Impreza cars are = 22B, P1, RB5, Sti5/6, mint standard Turbo 2000 with lowish miles, all original.
Old 02 August 2018, 06:45 PM
funkyrimpler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Floyd
Appreciating classic Impreza cars are = 22B, P1, RB5, Sti5/6, mint standard Turbo 2000 with lowish miles, all original.
Type R's and Type R/A's too surely?
Old 02 August 2018, 06:49 PM
ditchyboy
Scooby Regular

I may have worded it wrong when I suggested an investment car. I just want something that is not going to lose value horrifically and that if I keep long term may increase even slightly.
Old 03 August 2018, 08:21 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyrimpler
Type R's and Type R/A's too surely?
Oops, yes, but generally must be original or very well modded.

As for the last question, maybe. Get a near standard clean Turbo 2000 if you can find one and you probably will be depreciation free.
Old 03 August 2018, 10:24 AM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

You'll not lose much money (if any) on a good example car. You're looking out for the right things anyway.

The car you've linked looks alright but as above the gearbox would be the worry. I'd also be inclined to think that the car has seen some track action given some of the mods. I guess its personal opinion on whether thats a good thing or not. It certainly wouldnt put me off.
Old 03 August 2018, 11:30 AM
ditchyboy
Scooby Regular

I don’t think I’d worry about the track action too much as long as you can see it’s well looked after and not an abused example.

Last edited by ditchyboy; 03 August 2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03 August 2018, 04:21 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchyboy
I’m 35 in Feb and I don’t feel young with two kids running rings around me,lol! Think insurance on limited miles should be ok. doubt I’ll have enough cash to mod much so ideally something that just needs little tweaks, if mint and standard then I’d leave it.
Ive seen this: https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/subaru-impr...2228%7Ciid%3A1

only things im not sure on are, some receipts missing, only outer skin of rear arches done,its still on original gearbox which I imagine is a worry. Wouldn’t want a big bill for a 6 speed box supplied and installed fairly soon.
Hi.
If you do need any help with insurance for any model you're looking at then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Old 05 August 2018, 08:51 PM
ditchyboy
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure on budget I'd rather be under £3k so realistically a Turbo 2000. The only reason I'd said blob in my first post was that I'd seen a good looking STI that had only 3 owners with 57,000 for £7500 Ono that i thought if I could raise the cash seemed a bit of a bargain.
Ive always wanted a classic so I think that's the way to go and maybe even wagon so I can fit more stuff (that goes with having young children) in the boot if we decided to use it for weekends away etc.
Old 05 August 2018, 09:15 PM
ditchyboy
Scooby Regular

Seen this and had a bit of contact with the seller. Rear arches have had work but drivers side is just starting to ever so slightly bubble again. Looks like a lot of paperwork from pic sent over. https://www.gumtree.com/p/subaru/sub...ps-/1308900067
What would I expect to see mods wise for the BHP it's putting out, there is a graph to prove but surely must need more than just a remap?
what would cause the front bumper to sit slightly ghtly low at the back edge (next to arch)?

Last edited by ditchyboy; 05 August 2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05 August 2018, 09:35 PM
funkyrimpler
Scooby Regular

iirc correctly, a stock UK2000 can be safely remapped up to 270hp (ish) on stock ECU and parts...When i had one, it was putting out about 280ish..I had an induction kit, remap, decatted pipe, but i think it was on standard injectors, fuel pump etc...
There are some real experts on the forum, so hopefully one will pop along soon with some better advice.
Old 06 August 2018, 04:15 PM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Seen this and had a bit of contact with the seller. Rear arches have had work but drivers side is just starting to ever so slightly bubble again. Looks like a lot of paperwork from pic sent over. https://www.gumtree.com/p/subaru/sub...ps-/1308900067
What would I expect to see mods wise for the BHP it's putting out, there is a graph to prove but surely must need more than just a remap?
what would cause the front bumper to sit slightly ghtly low at the back edge (next to arch)?
Sports cat as a minimum, probably a decat downpipe, maybe uppipe too, panel filter or induction and plugs will see you there or thereabouts. My first T2000 made 277hp on those mods. I did the fuel pump as a matter of course but no need for aftermarket FPR or larger injectors at that level.

Might be a broken retaining clip causing the bumper to drop at the front wheel arch.

Last edited by LewisScoob; 06 August 2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06 August 2018, 07:21 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

It’s a £1750 Impreza, so if the bumper doesn’t quite fit because it’s had a bump at some point, I don’t think you’re in a position to complain too much!

Seriously, it’s pretty much impossible to get a decent one for £2k now and it’s quickly heading for £3k.
Old 06 August 2018, 09:55 PM
ditchyboy
Scooby Regular

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/subaru-im...from=R40&rt=nc
RB5s do look gorgeous when polished up, more than I'd want to pay but how hard would the jacking point be to have repaired, also I guess the crack in the rear arch might be hiding some nasty?!
Old 06 August 2018, 09:56 PM
ditchyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
It’s a £1750 Impreza, so if the bumper doesn’t quite fit because it’s had a bump at some point, I don’t think you’re in a position to complain too much!

Seriously, it’s pretty much impossible to get a decent one for £2k now and it’s quickly heading for £3k.
i realise this which is a shame as I'll most likely struggle to find something around my budget which is decent 😔
Old 09 August 2018, 02:01 PM
Nikhil
Scooby Newbie

Hello All,
I am looking for a fun car to ride with the rumbling boxer engine sound.

What are your views on the Subaru Impreza 1.6L NA blobeye?

In my country, the WRX or STI is hard to find.

Cheers,
Nik
Old 09 August 2018, 03:31 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikhil
Hello All,

Cheers,
Nik
Have you considered importing one?

I wouldn't touch any N/A Subaru
Old 10 August 2018, 12:38 PM
Fishbowlhead
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i realise this which is a shame as I'll most likely struggle to find something around my budget which is decent 😔
Have you thought about a wrx wagon? Obviously you'll be missing out on some of the upgraded bits an STI would have as standard, but they can be had surprisingly cheap as they aren't as desired. WRX can still be great fun if your not looking for a total weapon and just looking for a fast daily. You can then add on some mods later to up the power if needed/wanted.
Old 13 August 2018, 10:02 PM
ditchyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fishbowlhead
Have you thought about a wrx wagon? Obviously you'll be missing out on some of the upgraded bits an STI would have as standard, but they can be had surprisingly cheap as they aren't as desired. WRX can still be great fun if your not looking for a total weapon and just looking for a fast daily. You can then add on some mods later to up the power if needed/wanted.
ive seen this wagon which supposedly has lower mile engine and I quite like the STI front end.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Im...from=R40&rt=nc
also seen this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-im...rt=ncwhichhas6 speed box which seems interesting but not sure about much else incl mileage. Think trying to get one with lower mileage seems hard.
Old 14 August 2018, 12:50 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikhil
Hello All,

Cheers,
Nik
Slow - really slow and still very thirsty. Did mention they were slow?
I’m sure many will say different but an Impreza minus a turbo is really pointless.