Sponsored by:

Exhaust sound

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2018, 01:48 PM
Kernowbey
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust sound

I have got a bit bored of the exhaust noise or lack there of on my blob wrx.
It has a sports cat dp, sti up pipe. It originally came with a miltek 2.75 reduced to 2.5, non resonated center section. After a lot of research it turns out I have a magnex back box but if I search the code XSS06 it comes up as a classic back box for Impreza 2.0 Sport 16V Non -Turbo. It has a 3 inch tip.
This is a bit quite and only really comes to life when really pushing it and then it's more raspy than rumble.

so I bought a cobra 4inch back box and put that on, with the non res center section. Way to loud, to the point it was embarrising picking up the wife as the village fair.

so I bought the cobra resonated center section to go with the cobra back box. It's nice on start up and sounds good when revving but it drones a bit to much at low revs. I think it's a little to loud now.

Can anyone recommend something inbetween?
I was thinking maybe the newage prodrive back box with the non resonated milltek center section or maybe the cobra racebox.

Last edited by Kernowbey; 28 July 2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 28 July 2018, 04:47 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

cheap option get another silencer welded in
Old 28 July 2018, 04:53 PM
Kernowbey
Scooby Newbie

How much do resonaters restrict if at all. It has been mapped to non resonated so unsure on having 2 in.
Old 28 July 2018, 05:03 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kernowbey
How much do resonaters restrict if at all. It has been mapped to non resonated so unsure on having 2 in.
A resonator is for sound and not performance.
Old 28 July 2018, 05:58 PM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

It will have a very minimal difference if in your mid pipe , turbos like as much flow as possible therefore noise , restrict it it will go a bit quieter minimal power loss
Old 28 July 2018, 06:17 PM
Kernowbey
Scooby Newbie

Apart from getting an extra resonator fitted any recommendations on a back box that is not to over the top.
Old 28 July 2018, 06:50 PM
sunny1989
Scooby Regular

Apart from getting an extra resonator fitted any recommendations on a back box that is not to over the top.
I've had a H+S classic design backbox and a TSL group N (TSL Group N doesn't exist new anymore), both with resonated centres and they've sounded great.. no drone.

The Milltek centre won't mate up to any none Milltek system as far as i'm aware so be careful with this.

H+S classic style with a resonated centre would be a nice tone but not too quiet.. (and you've already got a 2.5" resonated centre so cheaper!) Even quieter would be the Prodrive backbox with the resonated centre.

Prodrive box with a De resonted centre would also be an option.

The 4" tailpipe on the cobra is too much for me at least and too loud/droney. Also the Scoobyworld racebox (if they still make them would be similar to the H+S classic style and would mate up to the existing 2.5" resonated centre.

Last edited by sunny1989; 28 July 2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 28 July 2018, 07:13 PM
Kernowbey
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the advice, will keep an eye out for for all 3. My miltek non res has had a 2.5" flange welded on the back box end so mates up with any 2.5" fine.

I need to go to a Scooby meet really and listen to a few others.
Old 28 July 2018, 07:26 PM
sunny1989
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice, will keep an eye out for for all 3. My miltek non res has had a 2.5" flange welded on the back box end so mates up with any 2.5" fine.

I need to go to a Scooby meet really and listen to a few others.
If your after an all 3" the Revolution/Jetex system is a great bet. sounds great but its quiet.. decent price from new too and just ebay your existing system to recoup.

I'm fitting the Jetex 3" on my classic with a custom tailpipe (OEM V5/6 sti tailpipe) and an additional centre section resonator.

Old 28 July 2018, 08:28 PM
scotty boy 80
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've went through loads of different system's, a resonated centre won't make any difference if it's attached to a loud back box, I've had full decat with prodrive backbox for the last few years and found it the perfect compromise on a daily driver, still sounds good but has minimal if any drone at cruising speed everyone can talk and be heard front to back
Old 28 July 2018, 08:37 PM
Kernowbey
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by scotty boy 80
I've had full decat with prodrive backbox for the last few years and found it the perfect compromise on a daily driver, still sounds good but has minimal if any drone at cruising speed everyone can talk and be heard front to back
IS this with or without a resonated center section. I have a sports cat dp how much do you think this would quiten the prodrive.
Old 28 July 2018, 09:38 PM
scotty boy 80
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Straight through turbo to back box, decat down pipe will be louder than the sports cat
Old 30 July 2018, 06:52 PM
Doc T
Scooby Regular

Ninja II.

Rumble - no whiney. Roars on WOT. Good, good. IMHO.
Old 01 August 2018, 03:12 PM
ProdriveTim
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

STi Genome if you can get one - I've got one on my Leggy Blitzen (twin tail pipes) - sound great under load but easy to live with when pootling...
I had one on my JDM Blob WRX and it gave me best of both worlds.
Old 01 August 2018, 06:20 PM
_Askew_
Scooby Newbie

My WRX has the last cat removed, straight (non resonated) pipe from downpipe to a Prodrive backbox and it sounds perfect. No drone in the cabin and still gives a nice roar under power.

Before I had a jap style dustbin on the back with no resonator and it was unbearable due to drone.
Old 01 August 2018, 06:47 PM
Kernowbey
Scooby Newbie

There is a scooby world race box come up near me that I might go for with my miltek non-res center section. Hopefully this will be ok. Had to got back to my magnex back box as the cobra system was to loud.

Has anyone ever opened up a back box and removed the rockwool sound deadening inbetween the baffles. Pretty sure the magnex is full of it as it's probably twice the weight of the cobra.

Last edited by Kernowbey; 01 August 2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04 August 2018, 09:52 PM
Kernowbey
Scooby Newbie

Just a quick update. I won the racebox on eBay. Almost brand new for £53, Bargain.
Just fitted it and it is absolutely perfect.
I have it with the non-resonated center section. It has a nice rumble on tick over and a very nice non droney noise once driving normally. Beautiful sound once opened up.
So if you are like me and do not want a loud exhaust but a proper Scooby sound then this may be the way to go.
Old 05 August 2018, 12:36 AM
_Askew_
Scooby Newbie

Just a quick update. I won the racebox on eBay. Almost brand new for £53, Bargain.
Just fitted it and it is absolutely perfect.
I have it with the non-resonated center section. It has a nice rumble on tick over and a very nice non droney noise once driving normally. Beautiful sound once opened up.
So if you are like me and do not want a loud exhaust but a proper Scooby sound then this may be the way to go.
Nice price, I paid £160 for my prodrive box you got satisfaction for a lot less cash than I did.

It seems that non resonated centre+one of the quieter back boxes is a good fit for those of us who can't stand the drone of a louder system but don't want a mouse under the car.
Old 08 August 2018, 03:05 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

My 2c;

1) My decatted WRX running 300bhp still had the stock centre and an STI back box. It sounded virtually stock, particularly at idle. Even Andy Forrest commented on it when I got it mapped.
2) Sticking a Prodrive backbox onto this made it a fair bit louder.
3) Then putting a straight centre pipe onto that made it very loud on startup and when cold. I don't find it drones too much on long journeys but it's certainly not quiet. Not obnoxiously loud though, and you can still have a perfectly civilised conversation with your passengers. That said, it is a lot louder in the back and does seem to suffer a resonant frequency in the rear seats. I don't tend to carry passengers in the rear though so tbh, this hasn't ever been a major problem for me.

Make of that what you will, particularly as it's all relative for each person. What I would say of my current system (decats/straight centre/prodrive) is that it's quite soft and deep sounding, it doesn't have any sharpness to it which does seem to be a little more tolerable to people relative to some of the systems I've heard.
Old 08 August 2018, 03:37 PM
Kernowbey
Scooby Newbie

After driving a few miles now, I quiter back box with a straight center pipe is definitely the way to go for those who want the scooby sound but not over the top with a drone.

I could live with a loud exhaust like the 4" inch cobra for a day at a show but daily no thank you.
Old 08 August 2018, 08:27 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Yes thats what you should go for. I have a 3" bore power flow, might be custom made bought it used. But perfect with no drone. Not sure if 3" bore is to wide for a non turbo. Think it should be ok as similar engine to the turbo version.
Old 09 August 2018, 09:18 AM
sunny1989
Scooby Regular

After driving a few miles now, I quiter back box with a straight center pipe is definitely the way to go for those who want the scooby sound but not over the top with a drone.

I could live with a loud exhaust like the 4" inch cobra for a day at a show but daily no thank you.
The Racebox is perfect IMO sound wise, glad you found one used. Beats paying 250 for one new!
Old 09 August 2018, 03:55 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My Hayward and Scott is far too loud - Nurspec loud !!

Fitted two resonators and its perfect now, not too loud at all and not too quiet.

Robert
Old 09 August 2018, 08:14 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Day
My Hayward and Scott is far too loud - Nurspec loud !!

Fitted two resonators and its perfect now, not too loud at all and not too quiet.

Robert
is this on the hatch ? I'm considering getting a Y joint to quad tail pipes to get rid of the Prodrive backbox but it'll 100% be too loud. So I'm thinking of getting some sort of silencer somewhere on the centre pipe if it'll fit. I already have the centre resonator removed which helped a bit but want rid of the big box on the back.
Something like this.

Old 09 August 2018, 10:16 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
is this on the hatch ? I'm considering getting a Y joint to quad tail pipes to get rid of the Prodrive backbox but it'll 100% be too loud. So I'm thinking of getting some sort of silencer somewhere on the centre pipe if it'll fit. I already have the centre resonator removed which helped a bit but want rid of the big box on the back.
Something like this.
Two H&S back boxes, and I've two resenators fitted inline which helps massively.
Old 09 August 2018, 10:20 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Twin scroll so it's hard to tell what it would be like on UEL, but mine is nice now.

Sorry hacking the thread.

https://youtu.be/RdfoFEZkKU0
Old 10 August 2018, 06:41 PM
big keith
Scooby Regular

Default exhaust

My standard titanium sounds great no need to change
Old 10 August 2018, 10:28 PM
scoobaholic
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by big keith
My standard titanium sounds great no need to change
Niiice! Does the midpipe have a resonator?
Old 11 August 2018, 05:22 PM
big keith
Scooby Regular

yes it does still standard
Old 12 August 2018, 09:30 AM
scoobaholic
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by big keith
yes it does still standard
Ok, thanks! Just asking as I found this backbox combined with a non-resonated midpipe a little on the loud side with some drone at motorway speeds. Epic sound overall tho so that more than makes up for it!