Advice on Spec D for sale

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2018, 12:20 PM
BillTheButcher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Spec D for sale

Hello all.

I'm looking to change my current car (15-plate AMG A45) to an STI of some description. I've always liked them but never got round to owning one.

Please forgive my ignorance with models, etc.

My search started with the third generation hatchback (because I wanted a hatch over a saloon), and that is still what I'd like, ideally, but then I saw this second generation Spec D:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01804285996563

Click image for larger version

Name:	C05bPzJ.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	73364

It's had a mod or two that I don't mind, like the replacement wing, and a few others that I'm not so sure about, like the towing eye and the coilovers; service history checks out and it looks clean...

Does anyone know anything about this dealer? A couple of unhappy customers on their FB page but they seem to have a good reputation, generally.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 25 May 2018, 12:44 PM
ProdriveTim
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't comment on the dealer as I don't know them, but as a Spec D owner here are my thoughts for what it's worth.
Firstly, the 'D' stood for discreet - adding spoliers, etc, in my opinon, creates a rather unhappy 'hybrid' - you may be better going for a normal STi. Personally I like the 'sleeper' look which is what it was meant to be but there are plenty of full fat STi's out there.
Secondly, hate to bring it up, but I haven't seen many Spec D's including mine (especially with PPP - not sure if this has it?) that haven't had HG failure. No details on this car but has it been forged or had uprated HG and bolts?
Finally, seems a tad over-priced - if it's not I'm delighted as I had mine down as worth £7-8k tops?
Good luck on whatever you buy
Old 25 May 2018, 12:53 PM
BillTheButcher
Scooby Regular

The Spec D normally has the low-rise spoiler, doesn't it? Apparently this one has PPP, yes. The dealer has sent me details of the history and I can't see any mention of forging or HG work. If it's a selling point I'm guessing it would be mentioned if it had been done.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 25 May 2018, 01:05 PM
ProdriveTim
Scooby Regular

Yes, normally has the low level spoiler.
If you go for it, I would also get the car mapped as the PPP is known to be a problem. Mine isn't forged - HG went at around 50k and I got uprated gaskets and ARP studs and a remap (less spikey than PPP but 258HP/380 LB/FT) and have done 50k trouble free miles since. Work carried out by Slow Boy in Kent.
Old 25 May 2018, 01:06 PM
ProdriveTim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ProdriveTim
Yes, normally has the low level spoiler.
If you go for it, I would also get the car mapped as the PPP is known to be a problem. Mine isn't forged - HG went at around 50k and I got uprated gaskets and ARP studs and a remap (less spikey than PPP but 258HP/380 LB/FT) and have done 50k trouble free miles since. Work carried out by Slow Boy in Kent.
Meant to read 358HP!
Old 25 May 2018, 01:18 PM
BillTheButcher
Scooby Regular

I've just heard back from him. The PX offer isn't good enough. On to the next one...
Old 26 May 2018, 02:42 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Interior is identical in every way to my Spec D, Pioneer with remote, crappy TrafficMaster sat nav thingy. No tinted glass.
Full black leather, door cards, carpets etc.
Nice to see the Spec D sticker on bottom of driver side B pillar.
There was only ever 300 of these made, but sadly were never numbered. Rare pieces.

Be wary though of not being forged. My HG's were toast at 21k miles....now fully forged by Len at Subaru 4You / mapped by Bob Rawle. 342bhp / 410 lb-ft makes it a cracking road car.

Here is mine, front lip was on when I got it, otherwise exterior completely original.
Old 26 May 2018, 04:41 PM
BillTheButcher
Scooby Regular

Thanks.

I've decided to widen the search to include all STIs, rather than just the Spec D.
Old 26 May 2018, 07:34 PM
Doc T
Scooby Regular

I have a 2006 Spec D. I'm ignoring the comments about imminent HG failure... But what's this I hear that only 300 UK models were made/imported?

Is this true? Do I now own one of 300 rare Spec D's?

How exciting.
Old 26 May 2018, 09:51 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Yes, and dwindling numbers left (all were UK type cars, hence 2.5) :

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicl...wrx_sti-spec_d

People rave about Spec C, Type R/A etc which I fully understand and appreciate....I'm not gonna lie.

However, the Spec D always goes under the radar and is seemingly forgotten about.....perhaps as it's a low key sleeper car?....and dare I say, looks like a WRX at a glance to the untrained eye - low level spoiler, silver wheels and an easily missed widetrack Impreza variant. That's the best thing about these though....isn't it?

People jazz them up to look like a normal STi....why would you do that? Maybe because I'm 43 now I just don't grasp it? lol

A quick Google, and stacks of info out there on these :

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...wrx-sti-spec-d

https://www.modernclassicsmagazine.c...ic1nol2pbu9cmf

Last edited by Hawkeye D; 26 May 2018 at 10:25 PM.
Old 26 May 2018, 10:04 PM
Doc T
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Hawkeye D
Yes, and dwindling numbers left :

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicl...wrx_sti-spec_d

People rave about Spec C, Type R/A etc which I fully understand and appreciate. However, the Spec D always goes under the radar and is seemingly forgotten about.....perhaps as it's a low key sleeper car?......

A quick Google, and stacks of info out there on these :

https://www.modernclassicsmagazine.c...ic1nol2pbu9cmf
Great stuff.

I'll look after her then.
Old 27 May 2018, 01:49 PM
rickybobby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Best value for money you can buy. 2 on ebay at the moment around £7500. Seriously looked at one for the wife last year but just couldnt justify it due to the low amount of miles she does.

Throttle response on the 2.5 avcs is just sensational, the car we drove was mapped with around 320bhp/380 torque and it seriously made me rethink my blob ownership.

Definitely on the cards when I finally grow up, just hope there's some left as it seems the breakers love them
Old 27 May 2018, 06:43 PM
Doc T
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by rickybobby
Best value for money you can buy. 2 on ebay at the moment around £7500. Seriously looked at one for the wife last year but just couldnt justify it due to the low amount of miles she does.

Throttle response on the 2.5 avcs is just sensational, the car we drove was mapped with around 320bhp/380 torque and it seriously made me rethink my blob ownership.

Definitely on the cards when I finally grow up, just hope there's some left as it seems the breakers love them
I paid £9980 for mine. She was on 58,000 miles. Aftermarket adjustable shocks, huge rear wing, Ninja II exhaust. Otherwise - stock. Apparently it's easy to re-map the 2.5 back to JDM-spec 320bhp.

...and yes...I will...
Old 27 May 2018, 07:31 PM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

I also have the original set of silver 17" Enkei wheels...could do with a re-furb...£100 collected if you want them...
Bare rims, no tyres. As said, they do need a re-furb. Or ideal as a winter set.

Last edited by Hawkeye D; 27 May 2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 28 May 2018, 09:23 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting to find someone going from an A45 to a Scoob rather than the other way. Personally - couldn’t do it.
Old 28 May 2018, 09:34 AM
BillTheButcher
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
Interesting to find someone going from an A45 to a Scoob rather than the other way. Personally - couldn’t do it.
The A45 is an excellent car. The noise is a bit flat (it sounds aggressive but not particularly pleasant) but apart from that I love it. I'm selling it because I want to get off the car finance conveyor belt not because I'm unhappy with the car.