Sponsored by:

Looking for my first scooby

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2018, 05:11 AM
Jacob Donovan
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Looking for my first scooby

HI everyone im new to the forum and ive been interested in Subaru since i was a kid and now its time to get one. I found a 2002 Impreza WRX with the EJ205 and im wondering what yall think for a daily driver and cruiser? All info and such is much appreciated, thanks!
Old 12 April 2018, 09:02 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Yes will be fine. Would need more info if your asking should you purchase it?

And welcome to scoobynet loads of advice on here.
Old 12 April 2018, 09:13 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to Snet..

I see your from the States, what sort of $ are the cars you are looking at over there?

Your intentions of use are daily driver and cruiser, but what is your intentions for the car itself in terms of modifications? There is nothing wrong with the Bugeye WRX, but knowing what I know now I wouldn't have bought one as my first Impreza - Personal opinion of course.
Old 12 April 2018, 09:36 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

How come?

All newage models from Bugeye WRX to Hawkeye WRX are mainly just facelift versions of the same car. With small changes.
Old 12 April 2018, 09:59 AM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Manual or auto ?
Old 12 April 2018, 01:56 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaygsi
How come?

All newage models from Bugeye WRX to Hawkeye WRX are mainly just facelift versions of the same car. With small changes.

Sorry Jay, I should have explained better. I bought a WRX bugeye (Cypriot model) which was a great car, main purpose was to ferry around my new born daughter. I kept the car reasonably standard for a year and then had a few tweaks and remap done at a later stage. I sold the car for a slight loss and was satisfied it did the job. I later then bought a UK300 which technically was the same car in a dress, I got this to around 350bhp and it cost a small fortune, plus it chewed a gearbox! It would have been far easier to have bought an STI. Now I am not saying the STI is for everyone and there is pros and cons to both (depends who you speak too), but for who wish to plant the power occasionally (no track days at this stage) it wasn't the best choice.

As for model to model, I personally prefer the Blobeye out of the earlier saloons, but saying that I have owned at least 4 bugeyes that I can recall... 2001 Cypriot WRX, 2001 UK300, 2001 UK STI, 2001 JDM STI...

Robert

Last edited by Rob Day; 12 April 2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12 April 2018, 02:49 PM
Jacob Donovan
Scooby Newbie

The one im looking at is 7000 usd and the guy says he is including a bunch of extra 05 parts. im assuming for the trans because its an 05 trans. its a 5 speed manual. if you guys want i can link the fb post, but it doesnt have much info. yes i asking if i should buy it also im mainly inquiring just about general info about the car and if its a good idea for a daily with some extra bang.

Last edited by Jacob Donovan; 12 April 2018 at 02:51 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 12 April 2018, 06:03 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jacob Donovan
The one im looking at is 7000 usd and the guy says he is including a bunch of extra 05 parts. im assuming for the trans because its an 05 trans. its a 5 speed manual. if you guys want i can link the fb post, but it doesnt have much info. yes i asking if i should buy it also im mainly inquiring just about general info about the car and if its a good idea for a daily with some extra bang.
Link might help.

£5,000 GBP is about right depending on the spec. I’ve not looked at your market conditions for such a car, and I haven’t reviewed the UK for quite some time, but bugeye Impreza WRX’s we’re going for anything from £2,500 for rusty tat to £8,000 for something nice, but I’d never pay £8,000 unless it was well sorted.

It all depends what you want out of a car and what you expect to get for £7K USD. They are still a great car, but in my opinion the STI was better, but that comes at a premium. I’m sure you have done research to the difference between the two - laboured to death on this forum

A nice standard example Blob STI with say 100,000 miles in the uk at the moment sell for around £7,000 - £9,000, that would be my choice FOR ME if I wanted another Saloon.

Robert
Old 12 April 2018, 06:15 PM
Jacob Donovan
Scooby Newbie

Default Reply

I personally would love an sti but I don't really have the money for one right now. This is more in my target. Speaking of, what would you recommend paying for the one I mentioned earlier? 121,000 miles with almost perfect paint with minimal rust.
Old 13 April 2018, 12:16 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

I personally would love an sti but I don't really have the money for one right now. This is more in my target. Speaking of, what would you recommend paying for the one I mentioned earlier? 121,000 miles with almost perfect paint with minimal rust.

Absolutely Standard unmolested WRX MY01-02 with those miles - Over here £3000 - £4500, but there is so much more that needs to be factored in even on a standard car... service history? Keys? Clutch Wear? Stereo? Alarm? Seat condition? blah blah... I'm terrible at buying cars now, I'm far too **** so I would ask far much more...

Good luck.
Old 13 April 2018, 12:53 PM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE=Rob Day;12005466]Absolutely Standard unmolested WRX MY01-02 with those miles - Over here £3000 - £4500, but there is so much more that needs to be factored in even on a standard car... service history? Keys? Clutch Wear? Stereo? Alarm? Seat condition? blah blah... I'm terrible at buying cars now, I'm far too **** so I would ask far much more...

All of this ^ remember its your hard earned dollars you are parting with.....look for the best you can get within your budget.The WRX will make a great cruiser, the wagon can be useful too (more space).

STI great car but will drain your cash.....with a 5 grand budget you could be buying trouble which could put you off the marque all together.

Try the WRX route first then if your smitten, go STI but be prepared to spend a lot more bucks!!!.
Old 14 April 2018, 04:52 AM
FarfocelI
BANNED

save for bug sti and forget about wrx