Looking to buy first scooby need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2004, 05:23 PM
Bravo2004
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Looking to buy first scooby need advice

hi all

im looking to buy a scooby after the summer but im not sure what to look for in a scooby.
is it best to buy an import as they seem to be a lot cheaper than cars that have already been imported. i have seen them starting around £3000 for a 96 sti/wrx then plus £1100 for shipping.

also whats the difference between a wrx and an sti also is there much reliability issues between the two.

what do you advice for a first time scooby buyer. (i have had other cars with around 240 bhp)
cheers
Old 04 March 2004, 11:41 AM
halowrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Case of deciding what you are looking for and then how to approach it..

Are you set on an import ? Remember that a UK model whilst lower spec is easier to prove service history and trace owners if needed.

Also has lower insurance and can be brought up to import BHP with a bit of effort and investment. This also means no worries about fuel grade as its set for our fuel - if you search around some people are getting good results with UK Cars (very good)

Import route is more dificult - higher insurance, fuel problems which mean investing in things like a knocklink etc. But on the other hand more power as standard and more toys so less to do it from the start....so both have their merits

I didnt import myself but bought it second hand, thought it was UK in the advert but was an import couldnt say no, I have now spent over a grand getting it right. If you import yourself get some decent professional advice on importing and the ins and outs.

Or if you want total peace of mind set your budget and approach reputable importers - you will pay slightly more than you mention above, but get peace of mind and at least a 3 month warranty.

Have a look at TSL or Newera both have the same buyer (I think) and bring top quality cars in - or there is a raft of others doing the same thing.

Best of luck whichever course you take..