Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

I Am Thinking Of Rejoining The Subaru Fold, Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2018, 02:23 PM
Big Tomm
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying A Classic. Advice Needed.

After some advice from those of you who know more than me!

I want to buy an Impreza and Despite liking the whole range, I’m looking at a classic, and an early one at that. The classic will be replacing my 2006 Mini Cooper S. The reason for the proposed change is because the mini is just too small and restricting. I am hoping that a decent sized boot and useable rear seats will prove to be a lot more practical whilst still being fun, powerful (compared to my 180HP mini) and still hold its own on a track day.

I have some questions for those of you who know more than me. The car in question is a 1995 WRX import. I apologise in advance if these things are covered regularly.

Rust, this seems an issue in a lot of Imprezas and more so the classics. The one I’m looking at is showing obvious signs at the wheel arch of corrosion. How bad does this spread? Are there non-visible areas that suffer chronically?

I have restored many classic mini and I’m fond of a classic porsche and as a fabricator by trade rust isn’t new to me, however I don’t want to be cutting whole sills out if it can be helped. So how bad do they suffer?

The one I’m considering looking at has a rocker cover gasket leak, it would appear as though parts for both rocker covers are around £120. Are these a chore to fit? I’m just curious as to why the current owner hasn’t replaced it.

What things are different in the import WRX over a uk spec? I understand they’re around 260bhp? Do thy have any other benefits? It looks like this one has a Nardi wheel?

I have seen that Subaru4You is offering what seems like incredibly cheap services. Cam belt for £170? Has anybody used them and would you recommend them? They’re about 2 hours away from me, but for that kind of money and service I’d be tempted.

What is there to look out for and be careful of? Are there any areas that are prone to trouble or expensive to repair?

The car is 3 hours away from me, so if I go to view I’d be intending to bring it home. Apart from the obvious questions you ask prior to viewing is there anything specific I should be asking?

This would be a second car, a daily in effect, a hack about, a do everything car from shopping, to taking the hounds out, to dumping junk at the tip. I’m not after a concourse, show winning car, just something reliable and practical.

Any help would be fantastic.

Last edited by Big Tomm; 28 February 2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 14 February 2018, 09:02 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
when you have a car in mind if you need any help with insurance please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Old 28 February 2018, 09:25 AM
Big Tomm
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Dan. I applied for a quote with you and got an email asking me to call and I’ve just not had time yet.

I have had a quote from greenlight which was incredibly good, so if you are competitive with that I’d be very interested. Will have to arrange a call at some point.
Old 28 February 2018, 10:00 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The car in question is a 1995 WRX import. I apologise in advance if these things are covered regularly.

Rust, this seems an issue in a lot of Imprezas and more so the classics. The one I’m looking at is showing obvious signs at the wheel arch of corrosion. How bad does this spread? Are there non-visible areas that suffer chronically? Yes. The turret tops can go internally and need extensive work. Back Street Bob is a few hundred. A proper job will be knocking on 4 figures.

I have restored many classic mini and I’m fond of a classic porsche and as a fabricator by trade rust isn’t new to me, however I don’t want to be cutting whole sills out if it can be helped. So how bad do they suffer? - See above.

The one I’m considering looking at has a rocker cover gasket leak, it would appear as though parts for both rocker covers are around £120. Are these a chore to fit? I’m just curious as to why the current owner hasn’t replaced it.
Rocker covers on the turbo side a re a common fault due to the heat build up. Not too much hassle but ensure you get a full kit with the proper washers.

What things are different in the import WRX over a uk spec? I understand they’re around 260bhp? Do thy have any other benefits? It looks like this one has a Nardi wheel?
The best place to get info on import models is at www.type-ra.com But in short to make the Classic chassis cheap in the UK the Alloy bonnet, alloy wishbones, electric folding mirrors, rear wipers and other nice to haves were removed. The engine BHP is also lower across the UK range. Get the Applied Model code to ensure it is what it is.

I have seen that Subaru4You is offering what seems like incredibly cheap services. Cam belt for £170? Has anybody used them and would you recommend them? They’re about 2 hours away from me, but for that kind of money and service I’d be tempted.
S4U are a good bunch. The price may be for a belt kit only, you may need to ask.

What is there to look out for and be careful of? Are there any areas that are prone to trouble or expensive to repair?
Like any car the usual, Service history, condition, rust, etc etc. I always have a thing about tyres. If the advert says no expense spare/my pride and joy, I get suspicious when Landsail or Linglongs are fitted. Similarly with Blue Print or aftermarket oil filters.

The car is 3 hours away from me, so if I go to view I’d be intending to bring it home. Apart from the obvious questions you ask prior to viewing is there anything specific I should be asking?

See Above.

But the car is now 26 years old and may need some real TLC.

Happy hunting.
Old 28 February 2018, 10:35 AM
Big Tomm
Scooby Newbie

Thanks very much for that Trooper.

Out of everything youve daid the only thing that concerns me is the rust. The rotting tower tops. Is that more prone to the front or the rear?

Do you need to pull carpets our, strip sound deadening back to see it or is it pretty easy to locate on a viewing?

Searching theough previous MOT history it has no mention of corrosion issues, let along anything within 30cm of a mounting point which is reassuring.

All work will be completed by myself. I’ve seen some supposed “top quality” metal work repairs on cars I wouldn’t see fit for a tin roof.

Thanks for the help!
Old 28 February 2018, 10:38 AM
Big Tomm
Scooby Newbie

Also two further questions.

Is 300bhp achievable safely out of a WRX?

Do many imports of this era have air conditioning?

Thanks.
Old 28 February 2018, 11:21 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by Big Tomm
Also two further questions.

Is 300bhp achievable safely out of a WRX?

Do many imports of this era have air conditioning?

Thanks.
All the Imports less some RA versions had Climate Control. The NARDI wheel depending on model will be an optional extra.
From experience the turret top rust needs extensive stripping down to get access and repair. BUT if the car is a relatively new import then you maybe lucky.

Two examples.

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-and-rust.html

This is a Newage Impreza but you get the idea.

https://www.scoobynet.com/947649-pro...l#post11990196

The early slant angle TMIC struggle to 300bhp but as they are light with the JDM gearing they are pretty rapid. the front brakes were single side two pot but 4 pots can be easily be added.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 28 February 2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 28 February 2018, 12:44 PM
Big Tomm
Scooby Newbie

Wow. As if thst isn’t enough to put you off!

However, it’s probably stupidity more than anything, but I’m still quite interested in one. Possibly foolishly.

I had a sport a few a few years ago and that was a impressively robust vehicle. Is the WRX equally as reliable?
Old 28 February 2018, 01:01 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by Big Tomm
Wow. As if thst isn’t enough to put you off!

However, it’s probably stupidity more than anything, but I’m still quite interested in one. Possibly foolishly.

I had a sport a few a few years ago and that was a impressively robust vehicle. Is the WRX equally as reliable?
Again. Servicing, knowledge and no stupid modifications are the best way for relability.
Old 28 February 2018, 01:53 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also with regards to reliability. The car is 22 years old, so I'd be concerned about upping the power. They are tougher than most, but any car of that age will need some mechanical sympathy.
You're also into the age where you'd expect it to have had a clutch replacement and you may want to budget for a few new bushes to tighten it up.
Old 28 February 2018, 03:12 PM
Big Tomm
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the further advice guys.

Reliability wise no one can guess what’s happening down the line. We can only surmise to an extent however decent history and proof of what has been replaced will certainly encourage a positive outlook on any vehicle.

My classic Cooper S is 51 years old this year and my Porsche is 36. I think it’s fair to say I much preffer an older classic. Ironically the most troublesome car I’ve ever owned was just 2 years old.

Im not to afraid to get stuck in and replace things like bushes. The car has had a cambelt, water pump and alternator within the current sellers possession. Clutch is a valid point and luckily is something I’m not too concerned about replacing myself.

Thank you for all of the help so far, it has certainly raised some thoughts which I hadn’t thought of before, I’ve learnt a lot, so thanks very much.