ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Exporting Cars to the USA?

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2002, 11:40 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a silly question.....

If I were moving to the US - does anyone know how much it would cost to export a car there and would it be an admin nightmare?

Or is it best just getting one out there. The only one I've ever seeen advertised is the 220ps Turbo, which looks just like the UK one.

The best standard fuel is 93, being(Ron + Mon)/2. Is this the same as our Optimax? given we only look at Ron and the Mon content is about 88?

Just a thought as it does not cost much to import a Jap car to the UK - the container fees were only about £600, but I would be stung if the import duties on the car were high?
Old 15 June 2002, 01:17 AM
Steve Breen
Scooby Regular

Unless you had a left hand drive already I would say that there is not much point. Also the price of cars over in the USA is far cheaper than here in the UK. The specification of the WRX is slightly different in the USA to Europe with only 2 pot brakes, 16in alloys and the side repeater indicators being different. Finally there is not an equivalent to our SVA and any car being imported must meet full vehicle approval or be for off road use only.

Steve
Old 15 June 2002, 01:57 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Sounds like its a no-no then, I'll look into the cossting in a bit more detail though...

Thanks

ps - I tried getting onto the USA Scoob site but is not very user friendly - could'nt get onto to post a topic despite beeing registered - kept telling me that I was'nt logged in - even though I was!
Old 16 June 2002, 12:04 AM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Cars that can be registered in the US must meet US Federal regs, and JDM/ROW cars does not conform to those regs.
The one 22B there belongs to Subaru USA, as they imported one as a show car. Technically, the US govt allows them to keep the car there for 1 yr, then it must be scrapped after that 1 yr. Therefore, importers there can import non-Federal spec cars and use them for 1 yr, then the car has to be exported or scrapped. The car cannot be sold off to the US public with it being registered that way.
I don't think US fuel is good enough for STi engines, as they have a very high Sulphur content.
Anyway, I don't think the US govt will allow u to register the car as it's RHD.

[Edited by clarence - 6/16/2002 12:06:19 AM]
Old 16 June 2002, 04:38 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Shame

Looks like I may have to start all over again... and no I am not selling the Scoob if it comes down to it - I'd rather scrap it!
Old 18 June 2002, 03:14 AM
hondaslayer00
Scooby Regular

Very difficult if not impossible. Believe me I have looked into importing a STiIII . It is just easier to send the parts here and put them into a 96 Impreza L Brighton. And move to MI No emissions testing. and a STi motor will run fine on Sunoco ultra 94 which is about 99ron. also some places sell 110 octane. But it is about 4 dollars a gallon!!!!!!! which club did you try? I-club.com? We were updating the server thats probably why you couldnt. Also try RS25.com it is dedicated to GC8's ( the nice ones)
Good luck.
Ben,