Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

AA Online HPI Check - Any Good?

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2002, 05:54 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone used it? Worth the £38 or so quid or is their a better one out there?

Simon
Old 14 June 2002, 06:07 PM
Coogie
Scooby Regular

RAC one was good that i used - £30 (i think that was with a discount as my wife's a member)

Cross ref'ed chassis # to registration plate, told me if the car had been stolen, written off, outstanding credit, etc etc (which it hadn't),all there and then while you're on the phone.

Its all garenteed, and they even send you a nice report in the post!

Well worth the money for piece of mind.

I guess they'd all be about the same, i only used RAC 'cos my wife's a member,

Nick.
Old 14 June 2002, 06:15 PM
neilbbb
Scooby Regular

hpi one is only 15 quid
Old 14 June 2002, 06:29 PM
BKS
Scooby Regular

i rang HPI direct, got the number out of the front of autotrader.

it was about 35 quid and i reckon well worth it. They rang me back about 3 times with various updates etc. V efficient.

When your spending that much money, imho, i reckon 35 quid is neither here nor there.
Old 14 June 2002, 06:47 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Agreed it is well worth the fee but was just checking if its better. RAC sounds better as Im a member so its cheaper. Probably all use the same database.

Simon.
Old 14 June 2002, 10:58 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

AA is ****e!

When I was interested in buying a Type R and had agreed with the owner to purchase it on the condition all the checks are clear I went and phoned the AA for a HPI check and they couldn't find it!!

The cars reg had been changed a few times (previous owners had both had private plates) and they said that sometimes they only update their database when they have several records to update!! (I thought all these places use the same database!?!?).

So I tried the RAC, requested the check on the net and the next morning driving to work a lady from the RAC phoned me back, I asked how long it would take and she said can do it straight away sir. Needed my credit card so as I was driving I called her back when I got to work. Gave her my card details and she done the check there and then.........all the correct info, everything matched up, told me all the plate changes it had (matched what the owners told me), and she even put me through to the people at HPI to do some other check (can't remember what it was for now).

So cut a long story short, don't waste your money with the AA!!!
Old 14 June 2002, 11:12 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

I had the opposite experience and had problems with HPI not being able to use a keytboard to enter details correctly, combined with the fact they read out a different chassis number compared to the one that came up on line this was when selling my last car. When it came to the replacement I used the AA check and it worked perfectly, so I guess they are probably all much the same, just the luck of the draw.

BTW, they don't get their info from the DVLA but through a third party (HPI anyway, so I assume all) so their records don't necessarily match, but as mentioned previously; if the car passes the test then you are covered anyway