Sponsored by:

Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2017, 01:40 PM
Mpf1987
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Help needed

Iv had a leak in my boot, after what felt like trying to find a needle in a haystack iv found the bugger. Its coming in through the spoiler brake light wire. How do i seal that? Is it a spoiler off job or could i just try and seal around the cable?
Its 2004 sti. Cheers Matt.
Old 06 November 2017, 09:48 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

if its coming in through the wire see if you can get the brake light out and seal up there as it's likely coming in there and running down the wire. which spoiler do you have?
Old 06 November 2017, 10:06 PM
Mpf1987
Scooby Newbie

As far as I'm aware a normal sti spoiler. I'm still relatively new to the scooby scene. It is running down the wire. Are the spoilers sealed?
Old 06 November 2017, 10:10 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

spoiler can be sealed at each of the bolts holding it to the boot lid but also if it's not fully tightened down against the lid it can tip back a little when travelling at speed and let a little water underneath the spoiler which will work it's way in too. Or some cars I've seen the boot lid doesn't seal so good against the boot rubber so again water comes in and will follow the easiest path down which may make it appear as though it's coming from the wiring when it's not.
Old 06 November 2017, 10:21 PM
Mpf1987
Scooby Newbie

Iv seen it run down the cable and where the hole in the boot lid letting the cable into the spoiler is, is wet inside.
Old 07 November 2017, 08:00 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Either take the spoiler of and reseal it all using likes of this

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/adhe.../p/MMM7055313F

Or else​​​​​​ just fill wiring hole from underside with silicone, it'll work it's way up under spoiler and stop water coming down in

Last edited by Gambit; 07 November 2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07 November 2017, 08:42 AM
Mpf1987
Scooby Newbie

I think I'm going take the spoiler off and reseal it. Cheers for the advice peeps.
Old 07 November 2017, 10:10 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd remove the spoiler and run a bead of this: http://www.caravan-components.co.uk/...-in-400ml-Tube round every hole, wires, bolts etc, under the spoiler, before refitting.

it's a non-setting mastic, used on caravans. It's excellent stuff and doesn't go hard, so the spoiler CAN be removed if ever necessary.

AVOID SILICONE LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!
Old 07 November 2017, 06:01 PM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Your spoiler is held on by a series of nuts and captive bolts, each with a sealing rubber gasket on it. The spoiler itself has a sealing gasket fitted, and once off, you can see that it is designed for water to pass through the slots at the front of the base and drip out of the slots at the back, so puddles don't form on the boot if you park uphill.

On mine the rubber had perished, what I did was run a bead of, yes, silicone RTV along the edge as per the O.E. seal and leave it to dry before refitting, so it didn't stick to the base.

While it's off, check the boot seal, it gets filthy under the edges and you can get rust there that needs cleaning up and fixing before it gets hold.

Finally, the wiring has a quite decent large grommet to seal it, look into cleaning that.

The last place it comes in is through the rear light gaskets.

Lift out the boot cover, and spare wheel. If you have a load of water there, pull the floor grommet out and dry it out with half a roll of kitchen roll.

Keeping water out of the boot of a New Age Impreza is a constant battle. Good luck!