Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Northern meet 5, a great day out! Thanks Martin!

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2001, 12:42 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I would just like to thank Martin for organising a great day out, and if it wasnt for me getting lost i would have still been there but ive got to go to london anyway........
A great day though, even if it was a little wet under tyre
Now i know what me car is really built for

Tony
Old 29 April 2001, 02:13 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Martin,

Many thanks for organising a top run out.

Good to meet everybody again.

Cheers,

Ian.

P.S. when is NM6?!
Old 29 April 2001, 02:31 PM
KHB
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Thanks to Martin for organising the run, had a great time even though our group ended up in the middle of Huddersfield!

Now I know what my scooby is capable of, I have never diven as hard before.

Thanks again

Karl
Old 29 April 2001, 03:26 PM
adge
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cheers MTR.

Can't wait for NM6.
Old 29 April 2001, 03:30 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Might aswell say thanx in here too, thanx

Bob
Old 29 April 2001, 03:34 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'll second that.

Had a great day out and really pushed the MR2 to the limit trying to keep up with all the Scooby's - a bit frightening at times

Could have done without getting lost in Huddersfield but a good day anyway.

Still dont know who was lost with us. Craft and I plus the P1 and the Silver K Reg. I presume Tony and KHB were our partners in crime? Who was in the Silver K-Reg as you started off behind me on the first set of bends. Not sure if you saw the powerslide I had going around the first hairpin

Dales Run 2 is the next one, cant wait - 3rd June

Once again just a shame that you never know who is who from Scoobynet. I was looking forward to meeting boomer, Mellow Yellow et al.

Finally met Bob T though - nice to meet you Bob, shame you left when I went into the pub for a beer.
Old 29 April 2001, 04:23 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dream Weaver

I turned left onto M62 Eastbound @ J22 'cos I live in Leeds, and you boys followed me onto the slip road . Did you mean to?

Martin - Top job

Cheers

TONY
Old 29 April 2001, 04:40 PM
Craig Mac
Scooby Regular

Cheers MTR for a top run out !,

Craig.
Old 29 April 2001, 06:05 PM
robman
Scooby Regular

Well enjoyed it - first time I've made the scoob do, um, interesting things whilst going in a straight line!

Cheers to MTR, boomer, Chris and everyone really!

Award for top exhaust note must surely go to the Stratos replica - what exactly is going on inside that thing?
Old 29 April 2001, 06:24 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Rob, I presume you mean the blue Corse, the louder of the two? Well it's a 3 litre Alfa V6, lightened balanced, flowed head, lightened valves, knobly cams, Wulf 3D mapable ECU and a custom stainless exhaust by wunoff. It hasn't been on the rollers yet but should be putting out around three hundred horsepower and it weighs around nine hundred kilos. The red one is the same engine but in standard form. They certainly are very interesting cars!

Bob
Old 29 April 2001, 07:02 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by tonybooth:
<B>
I turned left onto M62 Eastbound @ J22 'cos I live in Leeds, and you boys followed me onto the slip road .
TONY[/quote]

My mum said never trust anyone from Yorkshire. Had to go for a solitary blast through the dales on my way home to get my own back.

Old 29 April 2001, 08:42 PM
Maddy
Scooby Regular

Great day out thanks )

I've got some Mpegs on the way.., however some of the video I took includes the Reg Mark (especially the blue Audi TT that was in front of me most of the journey, I'm unsure if I should publish it ?? , does anyone have any objections, If so i'll have to try and find some way of masking them out.

Cheers

Maddy
Old 29 April 2001, 08:52 PM
Chunky
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Maddy,
I was driving the blue T.T. You must have been in the white Y reg scooby?
I would prefer it if you could find a way of masking my reg number m8. Sorry for being a pain in the ar$e, but you never know.
Cheers
Chunky
Old 29 April 2001, 11:15 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Wink

Maddy

Just mask them within a paint package before publishing them. What size are the images in total?

Tony - We ended up on the M62 three times so not sure if we followed you. I think Craft did at some point
Old 29 April 2001, 11:17 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I'd prefer if you didn't show my plate too, I don't know if you got me or not, Fiesta SI.

Thanx Bob
Old 29 April 2001, 11:26 PM
Maddy
Scooby Regular

Yes that was me in the White scooby and for some reason after today my motor feels more responsive , I will investigate into a way of masking the movies , I've got 960 meg worth of mpeg so I'll try to edit them in to something feasable , probably a 15Mb Mpeg movie (but i'm no George Lucas!).

Cheers

Maddy

Old 29 April 2001, 11:47 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Will I be able to download a movie without my dad chucking a mental? Are they saved anywhere, do they take up a lot of room?

Cheers Bob, computer dunce!
Old 30 April 2001, 01:09 AM
Maddy
Scooby Regular

Wink

As long as your PC has been built within the last 10 years you should be ok , And room won't be a problem , However if your connection is analog hence 56k , You might want to go for a few pints at your local whilst you wait for it to transfer.

Maddy (The Man with a 2Mbit pipe)
Old 30 April 2001, 01:12 AM
wrx
Scooby Regular

Excellent day. I traveled up from Brum so was in need of SUL but hadn't seen the post about not been able to get back into the services, so I waited for the first group and tagged at the back. The roads were great bit scary mind(Slide off on a Midlands meet & your in a field, slide up there & your in a mess). Got soon good footage will post when I figure out how to.
Roll on NM6
Old 30 April 2001, 08:25 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Did anyone have a bump?? some of those roads were very tight first gear corners, got a bit of lift off oversteer myself on the first wet corner i went into but it was fun bit of the fast pedal and back in line

Tony
Old 30 April 2001, 09:31 AM
CF
Scooby Newbie

Cheers MTR for another great day out,
Can we please see some pictures of the day A.S.A.P.
Cheers again CF
Old 30 April 2001, 11:57 AM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Cheers Martin top route good day heres to the next one.

Daz.
Old 30 April 2001, 10:23 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Just to say that i have thirty-odd pictures of the day (including the customary bacon butty shot - which sound like a money shot but lasts longer and costs less ) but they will take a few days to post (gotta reccy Wales first).

Oh, and if Kev and WALKER are listening - you missed out on a great day!!

mb
Old 30 April 2001, 11:13 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hello all,
I hope you all had any enjoyable day, and I must again apologise for my headless chicken routine (Mark L's description ) at the start.
I did a similar thing at NM4.Doh!
As you may or not be aware, the Granada services staff approached me, and asked politely, how long we were intending staying, would all be needing petrol, and if we were intending coming back later on.

Yvonne, the lady who spoke to me was very polite, and I explained that I would attempt to clear the cars as quickly as possible, and avoid any problems for their other customers.

The Police man in the BMW X5 followed the first group out, and along the motorway, before returning to Birch Services and talking to Barry K and his friend (sorry I don't know your name) generally asking about what was going on, where were we going etc.
And they discovered that the Granada services staff had phoned the Police, and asked them to have a word with us!!

At this point I did not know the X5 had already followed one group down some of the motorway, but fortunately my friends from work that were in the first group assure me that they were driving between 60-70mph, (like a lot of wusses)
Which was no bad thing considering only Barney in the EVO at the back of the group, realised the Police car was there.

Barney, who was on his first ever meet, then realised he didn't have a route, and had to come back to the services, and joined me in the last group.

Anyway, it became apparent that if we did not vacate the car park promptly, then things may have become a little awkward.
Had we been asked to leave all at once, the resulting traffic jam, created by ourselves, along the route, would have spoiled everyones enjoyment.

So yours truly attempted to 'select' the appropriate mix of non Subaru, with fancy Subaru (STi etc), with plain old boring Turbo Subaru, to give everyone a flavour of the cars that attended.

This was very stressful for myself, given that everwhere I turned I was having to say to people asking for routes 'No sorry, I am trying to pick specific cars'.

I hope I didn't offend anybody, and eventually I pretty much had to give up on that idea.
Even with on my son, MTR bringing me the packs of previously bundled 10 off route maps (all bundled and elastic banded together by MTR aged 9, the night before, thanks Matthew) to me, to try and ease my workload, it was still a bit frenetic.

I was offered assistance by Dicken, thanks mate, but declined, as I would have had to try and explain what I was attempting to do.

The night before prior to my 3 1/2 hours sleep, I had been going over in my mind, what cars I would try and group together.
3 off 22b's, 6 P1's, 2 Evo's etc, so when the attendees didn't quite match the original postings, I was somewhat flumoxed in how best to split the cars, as I had stated that I would do that.

People do not want to drive 150 miles to an event, be stuck in a group of 9 other MY00 when they own one of the flaming things themselves.

So you lot probably think this Meets lark is a doddle, trust me it isn't.

But finally a most sincere THANK YOU, to all the attendees.

As I said to the chap in the Blue Stratos (isn't that an aftershave), thanks for coming, but he just wanted to thank me for arranging it.
But without all of you, in your different, and interesting cars turning up,as Boomer has already said, there wouldn't be a Meet.

We non of us want to see our own cars particularly, well I don't, but derive great pleasure in admiring the varied selection of other cars.

The Police man at the Pub, was also very decent about the gathering, and pointed out that he had recieved complaints about cars speeding, possibly residents on the road prior to the pub.
He just asked us to be mindful of the speeds we drove at, and stated he didn't want to spoil anybodys day, just asked us to be careful.

When I explained what we were were doing, he asked if he could have attended in his Vectra, to which I replied, if he had wanted to.

You may have seen in the news about the tragic death of Monica Coughlan.
Well she was killed at the left hand bend, just prior to passing the pub for the first time on the run, not 400yds from the pub.
There were flowers at the right hand side of the road, against the wall.

So the publics sensitivity to speeding cars within that area, is quite justified.

Anyway,till the next time.

Cheers MTR

Old 30 April 2001, 11:59 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

"So you lot probably think this Meets lark is a doddle, trust me it isn't."

I'm convinced it's a major undertaking which results in stress and lack of sleep (as will anyone else with half a brain)

I also realise that you had your work cut out and had little time for niceties. The fact you bunged me a route and pointed at a group is understandable and didn't offend me and I expect everyone else felt the same.

A very successful day as the other comments indicate and the fact that the locals rated the run is testament to the the effort that went into it.

Thanks again
Old 19 May 2001, 06:57 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

At last!

Piccies can be found at
Old 19 May 2001, 09:36 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Wink

Boomer,
Thanks mate.
Again up to you're usual high standard of quality.

The caption for me talking to the Policeman will have to be something along the lines of 'please don't make me go on my knees and beg in front of all these people'

Cheers MTR

Old 20 May 2001, 10:17 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Nice meet - came up from Bristol

Pls can I go in a faster Group next time as Chiark dont know where his accelerator is and kept mistaking it for the brake!
Old 21 May 2001, 12:18 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Boomer, my car that you didn't see, it's the fiesta in the last piccie, clear lights, two fat chumps ( me and our kid) leaning on it, parked on th pub side of the road, you know, you blanked out the no. plate on it!

Nice pics mate!

Bob

PS, both the stratos have the same arches!