Sponsored by:

Positive reactions - quite surprised

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2017, 02:30 PM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Positive reactions - quite surprised

So, back in the day when I was a youngster and driving Scoobies, they had a bit of an underground following (I'm talking 1997-ish here). A lot of other drivers very surprised as (especially in wagon form) an odd shaped car with a bonnet scoop went haring past them

My first passenger ride in a Scooby, was my friends mums metallic green 1997 UK Turbo wagon. He mentioned something about it being quite quick up to 30, and then proceeded to nail it in 1st gear. FML I'd never been in anything that accelerated that quickly. That was where my love of Scoobies started

Word got about though, and soon enough the place was flooded with Japanese imports, some horrendously modified with massive loud obnoxious jap cut exhausts, and you'd have been hard placed to think of a car with a worse reputation I guess underneath all the tat, there was a petrol head behind the wheel (rather than a badge owner).

I myself got fed up of the image, people tailgating, general abuse and always worried that my car would be nicked, driven around and then torched so I've spent the last 8 years driving various other models.

I'm now back in a chocolate engined 2007 Hawkeye STi. It's silver with anthracite standard wheels. I removed the 5" tailpipe and now have a nice 3" H&S backbox. It's sounds nice, burbly, and not overly loud.

Anyway, after much digression, I'm getting to the point of this thread. Since getting the car I've had it in various local garages to get 'stuff' done. Exhaust swapped out, gauges installed, detailed, new DAMD steering wheel put on .. and I'm quite surprised and pleased at the reaction to the car.

General consensus is it's a 'superb motor'. I've had a few conversations with people when filling up (it likes a drink) and just this lunchtime had an 8 yr old shout cool car in the car park when the place is full of S3's and Golf R's.

Just when did the image change and it become acceptable to drive a noisy car with a mahoosive spoiler?
Old 02 August 2017, 03:15 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think in a world where the VAG dominates then people now appreciate something different. Plus imprezas are genuinely being appreciated as future potential classics. I can't find it on YouTube but James May did an excellent piece on imprezas in his "cars of the people" series.
Old 02 August 2017, 03:50 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Never had a problem to be honest, bought my first Impreza over 10 years ago, never had anyone try and race me, use to get police pulling me up in my hatch Vauxhall's, i mean insane amount. Bought a scooby and only been pulled up once in 10 years, police never bother me.

Drivers are always nice to me in Scooby, when i use to try hatchback's about use to get people getting angry with me for no reason, think it must of been a back lash from boy racers.

To some up, never had any problems of any kind in Scooby's, only people saying how much they like the car, or at petrol pump.
Old 02 August 2017, 04:06 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Nice to hear of your pleasant experience's makes a change

I get surrounded by total ***** when I take the scoob out its like a magnet for total utter gandufied ***** to slow down to 15-20mph every time I'm behind them!!

so instead I take the wife's golf out and join them
Old 02 August 2017, 07:26 PM
funkyrimpler
Scooby Regular

I always hated the image but it never stopped me from buying one..Ive been out of the club for several years and my current daily is an E46 M3...it gets quite a few compliments, but is a lot more anon than an Impreza.
If you know anyone with a decent Type R v5 or v6..??
Old 02 August 2017, 07:47 PM
nortonscooby
Scooby Regular

My blob get great attention. People coming up to me on petrol station saying its nice and the other day i was waiting to go around a parked h.g.v and a women that must of been in her 60s coming the other way stoped next to me and said "i love your car". Kids on bikes stop and point. Most other owners flash or wave and i never have any issues with the plod. My car is loud with a cobra 3inch decat but in my opinion it sounds nice compared to the clio's and punto's that think they doing a round of the btcc out side my house.
Old 02 August 2017, 07:59 PM
lewis87
Scooby Regular

It surprised me the amount of positive reactions I get in the blue blob STI, a lot of compliments and thumbs up from kids. Even had a woman of 60 odd saying it made a lovely purring noise when backing into a space in a multi storey ha.
Old 02 August 2017, 08:45 PM
scoobidy
Scooby Regular

when I looked at getting my 1st Impreza I was told it'll pass most things on the rd except a petrol station.........how right that guy was, everyone commenting about convos at petrol station