Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it more difficult selling a car that has previously been stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2002, 03:55 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at an STi 5 this weekend. Last year it was stolen for one day and recovered (through Tracker). Will this show up on HPI data checks and will it make the car harder to sell?
Old 13 June 2002, 04:07 PM
pele
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I don't think I'd buy it, you don't know how it was driven for that 1 day do you?
Old 13 June 2002, 04:08 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Arrow

I wouldn't get it either, plus if it's on VCAR or HPI as a stolen recovered the value is then stuffed.
Old 13 June 2002, 04:10 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahh but I wouldnt tell you! Sold as seen

David
Old 13 June 2002, 04:11 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
And joyriders cant do as much damage as I can...

David
Old 13 June 2002, 04:26 PM
Baby Blue
Scooby Regular

Never buying a car off you then David m8!!

I wouldn't touch this car either knowing that it has been stolen recovered. Having said that I've never had a hasstle free second hand car yet. Personally think its worth spending the extra to buy new and knowing exactly how it's been looked after.

BB
Old 13 June 2002, 04:32 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Agree, I wouldn't touch it.

If you do make sure the car has it's correct identity.
ie) The stolen one went missing forever and another identical model has taken on the identity of the original one.

You could loose the car and all the money you paid for if it turns out to be a ringer

Old 13 June 2002, 04:39 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

My car is stolen recovered and has been crash damaged as well!!

LOL, I wouldnt tell you though!!

Id quite happily show you how I mended it... Ask chiark..

David
Old 13 June 2002, 04:40 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Did you fix it with gaffa tape and blu tak?

Old 13 June 2002, 05:00 PM
Denzil_Dog
Scooby Regular

no he had to save the gaffa tape for his new fabricated inlet pipe

"i have heard that gaffer tape is good for at least 1.5 bar +ve boost pressure "
Old 13 June 2002, 05:16 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Oi get back in your cage you muppets!

If tracker / police were involved then presumably it'll show up on HPI checks?

[Edited by jlanng - 6/13/2002 5:17:14 PM]
Old 13 June 2002, 05:23 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

Which begs the question about trackers again..... (playing devils advocate )

You get your car back, but then can't sell it..... I think if you get your car nicked, you should be given a new one

Don't flame me, just one of those things that's a double edged sword
Old 13 June 2002, 05:51 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Hmmm interesting. Maybe if I can get it cheap enough it'll actually make up for it
Old 13 June 2002, 06:31 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

my car was nicked off the dealers forecourt when it was up for sale...and to worry you all it had a cat1 alarm... didnt fix it with gaffa tape.. I keep meaning to scan the photos... and post them... got diy garage pictures to post... diy crash repairable..

hmm whatelse??

David
Old 13 June 2002, 06:33 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I'm not so sure about this one. I've seen a lovely low mileage MY99 with FSH and all the gubbins for £10.5K and it is declared stolen and recovered. Provided it checked out mechanically, etc I'd be very tempted by this (cause I intend to run car into the ground). You could buy a car from a careful driver where it was thrashed in the hands of joy riders for a day or you could buy one that has never been stolen but the driver has thrashed it everyday of it's life......which would you rather have???
Old 13 June 2002, 09:13 PM
Ian Griffiths
Scooby Regular

It's an interesting question, whats the point of spending loads of money on a tracking device only to recover a car which has then lost a load of resale value. I personally wouldn't worry too much but then I firmly believe cars are for driving not just polishing. You've also got a few come-backs on the car, namely a warranty if it's a dealer car and presumably some guarantees that an AA or RAC check for mechanical sound-ness means just that or else they'll refund you some cash. You've also got a good bargaining tool in the cars history to get the price down a bit.

I had a very clean Corsa once, used to wax it every weekend. It's in a scrappy now. Wax wasted
Old 14 June 2002, 08:30 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

OK guys, so what do you think it's 'worth'? Have no idea how much less stolen/recovereds are worth. It's an STi-5 with about 19k miles - immaculate
Old 15 June 2002, 07:15 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

£15K in good nick....£7-10K if stolen?
its possible that when it was stolen it was by a "HIAB type" recovery truck and not actually joyridden, but if it was joyriders imagine:
Window or door lock busted, steering wheel lock smashed, ignition hotwired, caned to death for 1 tank of petrol...
or you could buy a scoob thats been on trackdays, is there a difference ??
Dan
Old 15 June 2002, 08:27 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

No help whatsoever, but, it's like any car you look at.

It's worth to you whatever you are willing to pay for it. If you have a figure you are happy with, aim for that. At the end of the day, as long as you are happy, doesn't matter one bit what anything else thinks

Happy purchasing with whatever you end up
Old 16 June 2002, 08:20 AM
BENA80
Scooby Regular

I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think a car will only show on hpi as stolen recovered if settlement money is paid out by the insurance company. I know of people who have had cars stolen & in some cases damaged but always returned, and in no cases did the car show up on hpi. If they did then not only would the insurance company have to pay for the repairs but the prospective loss in value the owner will see at trade in time. If a car was really only missing 1 day and it was returned to the owner I firmly believe it will not show on hpi. If it was damaged beyond economical repair then it will as a settlment would have been made to the owner. I think a lot of people dont realise this and thats why they are 'honest' about there cars history -

[Edited by BENA80 - 6/16/2002 8:28:56 AM]
Old 16 June 2002, 11:50 AM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

The previous owner is obviously being honest with you which is a good thing. If you like the car get it checked over by somebody who knows STI's, with all respect to the AA etc maybe they are out of their depth with this one. See if the owner will let you take it to Scoobysport, TSL or whoever is closest to you, a couple of hours of their labour would be the best way to find out its condition, nicked or not. As for the will it or will it not show on HPI, ask the owner if the insurance co paid out, then ring HPI & ask them if it would have been listed. Another trick which I have used is to ring up the DVLC & dont ask them the question direct , just say I have some suspisions about the car, from the info you have do you suggest I check, I did this a few years ago on a car & the the lady replied yes.
Had the car fully checked, bought it & was one of the best cars I ever owned
In your situation it looks like you know some of the cars history.
How many people are driving around in WRX's or STI's that have been written off or stolen in their previous life in Japan & dont even know about it.
If you like it get it ckecked out mechanically which you should do anyway, if it passes that test use the nicked thing to knock the price down & if it still feels OK get it & enjoy it
Old 16 June 2002, 05:36 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Question

I hope that someone can clarify what constitutes 'stolen/recovered'. My Scoob keys were stolen from my house a couple of weeks ago and my car was unlocked and pushed about 50 yards up the road. The theives were either scared off or couldn't work out the immobiliser (well they are thick aren't they!) but got away with all my ICE. The first we new about it was when the police had been called by someone else who had been burgled up the road and they woke us up to inform us about my car.
I decided to claim for the audio equipment but the car was not actually damaged at all (phew!).
I'm quite concered that the car is going to be recorded as stolen/recovered although I haven't actually told the insurance company that it had been moved.
Will this probably just be classed as theft FROM a motor vehicle?

Jamie
Old 17 June 2002, 12:28 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

To be honest whats the difference between stolen recovered or going into the body shop for a bump in a supermarket carpark..??

Filler in the quarter panel or a new piece of plastic under the steering wheel and a new lock and door handle??

David