Rear spoiler leaking

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2017, 09:26 AM
scoobydreamer11
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear spoiler leaking

Good morning all,

Just a quick question, my rear spoiler is leaking on my 97 type ra. Definitely not the rear lights which I know are usually a problem, but was just wondering if anyone had a quick 'how to' guide on tightening all of the nuts up.

Cheers Tom.
Old 09 April 2017, 10:19 AM
Vxr2010
Scooby Regular

Received 270 Likes on 234 Posts

i would be careful you don't over tighten them , what about some clear sealant round it , probably best route would be remove and start again ,only problem probably not easy to get it off , is it definitely spoiler and not rear lights leaking
Old 09 April 2017, 05:12 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i think the best way is to remove the spoiler and try and fit some sort of foam or rubber washers and renew the foam strip around the bottom of the spoiler. someone did a thread about it not long ago on here. i tried putting clear silicon around the bottom of the bolts over the nuts a while ago but upoun inspection this weekend (im having mine repainted) after i removed the silicone the bolt was soaking with water and rusted to hell i will be lucky to get the nut off as its solid with rust now. as ive said i think a good rubber or foam washer to make it water tight would work better.
Old 09 April 2017, 06:15 PM
stiMIGHTYsti
Scooby Regular

I've just done mine on my01 Bug rubber washers were totally disintegrated and foam seal was just dust. New washers & adhesive foam worked a treat. Just had to re-tighten after a week when foam had settled in.
Old 09 April 2017, 09:42 PM
scoobydreamer11
Scooby Regular

Thank you all for your replies much appreciated!!

Sorted it this afternoon.

removed spoiler, rubber stoppers etc all okay but the black sealant had all work away letting it all in. Cleaned both surfaces, bottom of spoiler and top of boot, applied white sealant (stuff for bathrooms etc) carefully around bolts, reseated spoiler, torqued up bolts - not too tight - and ran a nice bead of same white sealant around bottom of spoiler.

Will post current picture now finished on my thread tomorrow. Unfortunately don't have pictures for each stage.

Cheers,

Tom
Old 10 April 2017, 08:22 PM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I applied black RTV all around the bottom of my spoiler and made a nice lip effect with my fingers. I then let it set for a day or two and then refitted. Works a treat so far, and I can take it off and put it back for cleaning the boot lid without a problem.

Won't last forever, but better than the weak foam O.E. seal.