Syvecs options

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2017, 01:04 PM
rickybobby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Syvecs options

Hi all.

As part of the upgrades we've planned for my Blob STI I've decided to bite the bullet and go Syvecs ecu. We've already put together the mods package for 380-420bhp and I chose the Syvecs so I can run fuel flex.

The reason for my post is that I'm wondering what sort of data monitoring/displays people are using? I've seen a few VERY highly modified cars with tablets on the dash and also seen the Toucan screens but they look very small (not ideal for someone with fat fingers like me).

As part of the upgrades I had in my head that I would go with various gauges in the car but unless I buy Defi with all the gizmos I cant do any data monitoring etc. I'm a bit of an old duffer when it comes to all this sort of stuff but keen to learn, so if theres something I can hook up to the syvecs to give a good data display I'd be interested.

Not looking to drive around with a laptop on the passenger seat, I'd be concerned if it started flashing Danger to Manifold and caused rivets to fly out of the footwell

If anyone has pics/details of something please post up. Many thanks
Old 26 March 2017, 05:39 PM
matieboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a toucan and must say it's a great bit of kit I didn't like it in the beginning and also having fat fingers so times it is a bit fiddly but having used it for a while now I like it and it's so much tidier than gauges everywhere and does so much more.
Old 26 March 2017, 05:58 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That seems a lot of expense for 420bhp, something Ecutek/maf will easily handle!
Old 26 March 2017, 07:02 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

With the toucan you set parimeters etc and can monitor loads of stuff provided you've fitted the sensors required, and don't really need to see the displays until it alerts you if something's wrong.
The syvecs can do data logging also, so when you drive it, later you can hook up to laptop to see anything untoward.
Old 26 March 2017, 09:51 PM
scoobypaul_temp
Scooby Regular

On a related note - I will be going syvecs - I currently have 3 separate gauges (boost, oil pressure and oil temp). Do I need to buy Syvecs/Toucan specific sensors, or can I re-use the sensors that I already have?
Old 26 March 2017, 10:12 PM
CharlesTuna
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running a Syvecs, planning on using the syvecs Bluetooth module with the app on my android stereo. Think they're around £240ish
Old 26 March 2017, 10:44 PM
rickybobby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went with the syvecs after doing a lot of reading up on ecu/mapping options and it future proofs me should I go further with the car. I also figured that if I'm going to modify the car to a decent standard and in exchange have to get the wife the conservatory she's always wanted I may as well go the whole hog.

Did a bit more reasearch tonight and found that syvecs do a bluetooth unit. This is possibly what I've seen before as I did see a pic of someone with syvecs on a tablet but couldnt figure out how it was done.

The toucan does look impressive, the downside being the cost if you include the sensor pack and installation. My thoughts were that if I had data monitoring via tablet from the syvecs it would eliminate the need for gauges and if I ever chose to do a track day I could get my son to look at the data logging via laptop. He's the one guiding me on this but is more of a TVR man so his track days tend to be a bit more of a get in and go affair.

Sorry for the waffle, just trying to get the best from the ecu and functions.
Old 26 March 2017, 10:58 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

I have a syvecs and toucan and its an ace bit of kit, you set the limits you want to know about and when those limits are met it lets you know with an alarm..... no real need to worry about fat fingers as once its set up you dont need to touch it.

I never really got the point of lots of gauges without alarms, as when your pushing on (road or track) your eyes should be pinned on where your going and not the gauges telling you might (but probably dont) have a problem.

Toucan is one small satnav sized device that can be installed discreetly and give you all the info youll ever need and alarms that tell you things are going wrong in plenty of time to do something about it. Key word there being discreetly rather than the max power dashes with meaningless gauges for everything.
Old 27 March 2017, 08:40 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Price has always put me off the toucan, very expensive for a small little touch screen.
Old 27 March 2017, 01:15 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

To get the most out of the syvecs you should go for the sensor pack anyway, this way the ecu will be able to monitor and take care of everything. Obviously a toucan or bluetooth module will allow you to view everything the ECU reads.

Last edited by IainMilford; 27 March 2017 at 01:16 PM. Reason: spelling ....
Old 27 March 2017, 01:25 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

AIM race dash as it links straight to the syvecs ecu and displays all your data so no need for any gauges at all My original speedo is still fully working behind my dash. I have full shift lights on the dash and a mass of warning lights

Name:  mxldash_zpsbe8d465a.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  114.9 KB
Old 27 March 2017, 01:27 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebt
AIM race dash as it links straight to the syvecs ecu and displays all your data so no need for any gauges at all My original speedo is still fully working behind my dash. I have full shift lights on the dash and a mass of warning lights

you tease!