Sponsored by:

Buying a vanillla STI compared to a special edition

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2017, 12:24 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Buying a vanillla STI compared to a special edition

I'm weighing up whether the extra cost of a special edition Hawk STI is worth it over a vanilla STI.

What are the main differences between an STI and say, a Spec C?

With a vanilla STI I could add a few bits to it to make my own. A special edition really needs to be kept as standard as possible.

One driving factor of my purchase is the potential for increase in value over the years. I appreciate a modified STI is never going to command the price of a special edition but then the initial purchase price is likely to be much less.

I'm really just thinking out loud at the moment.
Old 16 March 2017, 12:56 PM
scotty boy 80
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the **** a vanilla sti
Thought they only came in different colours not flavours
Old 16 March 2017, 03:11 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Depends what 'special' edition it is. were spec c's even considered a special edition?

Something like a Spec C, RA, RA-R i would say are worth having if there not sill money above a normal one.

Only caviat is supply and demand, if there isn't many, prices will be higher. I know a top spec Bug Spec C ra thats up for around 15k (but its mint and only a handful of them) where as a standard sti will be around 5-6k.

I doubt you will do anything but loose money on a standard STI new age. Classics have come down a long long way and alot written off/rusted away etc before they have started to go up, and that only tends to be the RA and R's. Also new age will never been seen in the same light as a classic due to the historic pedigree.
Old 16 March 2017, 03:15 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

The major benefit of the Spec C hawk STI would be the forged 2.0L engine over the standard chocolate 2.5 STI engine for me.

Weigh up how much the replacement forged 2.5 engine will cost you (£5k) and then look at the price difference.
Old 16 March 2017, 04:02 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

With a vanilla sti you could use it more not thinking about putting mileage on or track use more enjoyment

You could always upgrade all the bits for pink items etc the mod list just doesn't end when you have vanilla STI as you make it what it is

Where as with a special edition you wNt to keep it genuine as possible do no ****ary with it
Even if you get a special edition who's to say some of the nice bits won't need replacement?

Do what you think is right pal your cash at end of day
Old 16 March 2017, 05:26 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidgy
Depends what 'special' edition it is. were spec c's even considered a special edition?

Something like a Spec C, RA, RA-R i would say are worth having if there not sill money above a normal one.

Only caviat is supply and demand, if there isn't many, prices will be higher. I know a top spec Bug Spec C ra thats up for around 15k (but its mint and only a handful of them) where as a standard sti will be around 5-6k.

I doubt you will do anything but loose money on a standard STI new age. Classics have come down a long long way and alot written off/rusted away etc before they have started to go up, and that only tends to be the RA and R's. Also new age will never been seen in the same light as a classic due to the historic pedigree.
yes as they were limited to 1000 units and split over 3-4 colours with white and blue being the most popular, then red and black, silver was only on the RA as far as I recall
Old 16 March 2017, 06:06 PM
mike74
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

You do realise that debt fuelled asset price bubbles. including classic/performance cars tend to go pop at some point in the economic cycle?

Trending Topics

Old 16 March 2017, 08:05 PM
S204Darren
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike74
You do realise that debt fuelled asset price bubbles. including classic/performance cars tend to go pop at some point in the economic cycle?
Very true.
Old 16 March 2017, 08:12 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I was under the impression that a JDM Hawk is actually very similar to a JDM Spec C and driving both back to back you'd struggle to notice a difference