ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Advice and opinions on 4th gen legacy

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2017, 09:31 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice and opinions on 4th gen legacy

Well it's been a long time since I've had a subaru on the drive and looking to come back to the fold. Apologies if this is in the wrong section as I now there's other marque's yet this is just a general chat, if need be mods please move

Currently looking at a the 4th gen legacy gt b spec or there's a tuned by sti I've seen. Ones a 55 plate the other 06. Although I appreciate there's the legacy owners forum I thought I'd ask on here as well.

What power can these handle in stock form before internals need upgrading?

What turbo would be a good replacement?

Anyone had one and can shed any light on problems, genuine view on them I appreciate they are not an impreza so may well not handle as good.

Thanks in advance,

And hello to any of the old members who used to kick about on here that I have had dealings with, if you're still about
Old 09 March 2017, 09:59 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Great car, nearly went for an 07 spec b before getting my hatch spec c. Good for 315-320 with exhaust, filter and remap. Ian Litchfield suggested to me that the top mount intercooler is at it's limit after that. Fantastic compliant ride. Trooper will be along to tell you the rest.
Old 09 March 2017, 10:02 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Oh, and the front control arm rear bush is a weakness, easily worn, same as hatch.
Old 09 March 2017, 10:28 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Very good choice, I'd have the hatch over the legacy. Cheers for the info mate and I'll await Trooper lol. Been trying to read up on them yet there seems to be loads of changes in the 4th gen.

They seem to mainly be auto, anyone know what these can take

Cheers
Old 09 March 2017, 11:08 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Steve,

The Gen 4 Legacy came in two versions only, pre and post facelift, all mainly cosmetic but the JDM 2.0l cars had the 6 speed with Si-Drive fitted post MY 07, only the 3.0 UK car had it (6 speed) but without Si-Drive.

The weight difference is not that great but the chassis is set up differently anyway. The standard Bilsteins/shock combo is excellent for UK roads and can be refurbed (a lad on UK Legcay as a group buy currently). The build quality is better than the Impreza but not upto German standard. I am now on my second WR Ltd Spec B GT manual and I love it. Apart from a Cosworth panel filter after a remap for UK fuel it achieved 319/327 at David Hendry Cars. The 2l twinscroll EJ20 (Z or Y depending on gearbox) for me as been 100% reliable. Spins well to the redline (but why, apart from the noise) and gets down the road very well when ECO mode is deselected but like most Subaru's likes a drink when pushed ECO engaged I have played the throttle and got 360 miles from Full to light.

The interior in WR Spec (only 400 made in manual or auto/saloon or wagon) is fantastic, comfortable and great for distance. The McIntosh uprated audio is great but the speakers and built in amp run on 8 ohms, replacing the head unit is a bit of a pain but you get great audio output. Sweep clocks in the WR but very nice electro luminescent clocks are standard. The JDM sat nav can be swapped for the UK DVD/Screen if fitted. They come with a handy engine performance graph thingey.
A huge boot, under floor storage and 60/40 seats work well - I moved a broken down 6 foot wooden shed with ease.

The brakes are 316 mm on the front and even as two pot sliders work very well. Not many parts swap over from an Impreza Bug/Blob/Hawk but when you lift the bonnet you will see were the hatch engine development occured.

The Tuned by STi has Bilstein suspension, 6-speed manual, STI Genome exhaust, Brembo brakes (4-piston front, 2-piston rear) and 18-inch alloy wheels by STI.

But the real daddy is the the Legacy STI S402 is a limited edition (402 units) high-performance series for the Japanese market. It includes a 2.5L twin scroll turbo engine rated 285 PS (210 kW; 281 hp) at 5600 rpm and 392 N·m (289 lb·ft) at 2000–4800 rpm, Bilstein shocks, 18x8-inch BBS forged wheels (from S203, S204) with Potenza RE050A 235/40R18 91W tires, Brembo 6-piston front and 2-piston rear brake calipers (from Subaru Impreza type RA-R), Vehicle Dynamic Control stability control. A special serial number plate is added to the center console and engine bay VIN plate. Variable valve timing was added. ECU was updated to improve acceleration. S402 was available in sedan and wagon bodies only 402 made.

The Auto's take well to tuning and gained flappy paddles on the face lift or steering wheel buttons on the pre-facelift.

Hallie on UKLegacy is the biggest font if you want tech issues and is a good source of parts.

I have no experience of the UK cars but the H6 3.0 takes well to a supercharger.

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 09 March 2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09 March 2017, 11:15 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want one.
Old 09 March 2017, 02:02 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Steve,

The Gen 4 Legacy came in two versions only, pre and post facelift, all mainly cosmetic but the JDM 2.0l cars had the 6 speed with Si-Drive fitted post MY 07, only the 3.0 UK car had it (6 speed) but without Si-Drive.

The weight difference is not that great but the chassis is set up differently anyway. The standard Bilsteins/shock combo is excellent for UK roads and can be refurbed (a lad on UK Legcay as a group buy currently). The build quality is better than the Impreza but not upto German standard. I am now on my second WR Ltd Spec B GT manual and I love it. Apart from a Cosworth panel filter after a remap for UK fuel it achieved 319/327 at David Hendry Cars. The 2l twinscroll EJ20 (Z or Y depending on gearbox) for me as been 100% reliable. Spins well to the redline (but why, apart from the noise) and gets down the road very well when ECO mode is deselected but like most Subaru's likes a drink when pushed ECO engaged I have played the throttle and got 360 miles from Full to light.

The interior in WR Spec (only 400 made in manual or auto/saloon or wagon) is fantastic, comfortable and great for distance. The McIntosh uprated audio is great but the speakers and built in amp run on 8 ohms, replacing the head unit is a bit of a pain but you get great audio output. Sweep clocks in the WR but very nice electro luminescent clocks are standard. The JDM sat nav can be swapped for the UK DVD/Screen if fitted. They come with a handy engine performance graph thingey.
A huge boot, under floor storage and 60/40 seats work well - I moved a broken down 6 foot wooden shed with ease.

The brakes are 316 mm on the front and even as two pot sliders work very well. Not many parts swap over from an Impreza Bug/Blob/Hawk but when you lift the bonnet you will see were the hatch engine development occured.

The Tuned by STi has Bilstein suspension, 6-speed manual, STI Genome exhaust, Brembo brakes (4-piston front, 2-piston rear) and 18-inch alloy wheels by STI.

But the real daddy is the the Legacy STI S402 is a limited edition (402 units) high-performance series for the Japanese market. It includes a 2.5L twin scroll turbo engine rated 285 PS (210 kW; 281 hp) at 5600 rpm and 392 N·m (289 lb·ft) at 2000–4800 rpm, Bilstein shocks, 18x8-inch BBS forged wheels (from S203, S204) with Potenza RE050A 235/40R18 91W tires, Brembo 6-piston front and 2-piston rear brake calipers (from Subaru Impreza type RA-R), Vehicle Dynamic Control stability control. A special serial number plate is added to the center console and engine bay VIN plate. Variable valve timing was added. ECU was updated to improve acceleration. S402 was available in sedan and wagon bodies only 402 made.

The Auto's take well to tuning and gained flappy paddles on the face lift or steering wheel buttons on the pre-facelift.

Hallie on UKLegacy is the biggest font if you want tech issues and is a good source of parts.

I have no experience of the UK cars but the H6 3.0 takes well to a supercharger.
thanks for the info, was looking at the 05-06 model as they seem to be more avalible and easier to bench mark a value on them. I have seen one 07 as it has Idrive yet is listed as 06 its up for 11k, not sure of the values for these if i am honest. so any advice would be much appreciated

thanks