ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Made a mistake getting rid

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2017, 01:27 PM
ccsimpreza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Made a mistake getting rid

Ive had 15 cars in the past 4 years, always liked changing them to experience new motors etc and sometimes simply because I got bored of most of them.

But I've made a mistake getting rid of my one and only Scooby.

Ive had plenty of fast and special cars, including an s14a Silvia, a TT Supra, an e46 M3 and various Cupras and VRS etc but the Scoob was very special. I had to get rid of it because I needed a sensible car for work, so off it went (for the M3 - but that really didn't work out)

Ive never regretted getting rid of one of my cars like I have the scoob, (maybe the Supra, because that quadroupled in value recently ) and I'm just hoping that one day, when I can afford to have a "toy" and my daily, that ill see it for sale again haha.

Just having a little rant, learn from my mistake and don't convince yourselves (or let others) to go down the sensible route boys.
Old 06 January 2017, 01:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

FIFTEEN cars in FOUR years??????????

What are you, a lottery winner?
Old 06 January 2017, 01:49 PM
ccsimpreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
FIFTEEN cars in FOUR years??????????

What are you, a lottery winner?
Haha I wish. A lot of the cars have been round the few grand mark, and never lost money on them.

Wish I could say that about them all!
Old 06 January 2017, 03:19 PM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

i have always fancied an E46 M3 ,i do like the shape.
Old 06 January 2017, 09:44 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

How long did you have the subaru.
Old 07 January 2017, 12:46 AM
jap_master
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ccsimpreza

I had to get rid of it because I needed a sensible car for work, so off it went (for the M3 - but that really didn't work out)
Need an sesible car for work, an M3.
Old 07 January 2017, 09:02 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got rid of mine about 3/4 months ago, slightly miss the overtaking ability maybe once a month, don't miss the fuel bills, insurance or servicing costs, can change the oil 3 times on my golf for what it costs to do it once on the subaru, and it gets 55mpg, and insurance, tax and mot is a 3rd of the price too.

Also have more fun in the Golf, slow as all buggery compared to the scoob but everytime I drive it I smile and even laugh out loud, it's like being 17 again.
Old 07 January 2017, 10:51 AM
ccsimpreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johned
How long did you have the subaru.
Just shy of a year, which is good for me!

Originally Posted by jap_master
Need an sesible car for work, an M3.
In my mind it was more sensible than the scooby, the scoob was 330hp with a full decat straight through etc so was very loud, the M3 was standard..and a lot more comfy!

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Got rid of mine about 3/4 months ago, slightly miss the overtaking ability maybe once a month, don't miss the fuel bills, insurance or servicing costs, can change the oil 3 times on my golf for what it costs to do it once on the subaru, and it gets 55mpg, and insurance, tax and mot is a 3rd of the price too.

Also have more fun in the Golf, slow as all buggery compared to the scoob but everytime I drive it I smile and even laugh out loud, it's like being 17 again.
Really? I don't think servicing or anything like that is substantially more than a "normal car" fuel yes obviously and things like spark plugs but yeah! I was always in awe of how fast the scoob was, it wasn't sedate by any means and was just a lot of fun!
Old 07 January 2017, 11:05 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ccsimpreza
Just shy of a year, which is good for me!

In my mind it was more sensible than the scooby, the scoob was 330hp with a full decat straight through etc so was very loud, the M3 was standard..and a lot more comfy!

Really? I don't think servicing or anything like that is substantially more than a "normal car" fuel yes obviously and things like spark plugs but yeah! I was always in awe of how fast the scoob was, it wasn't sedate by any means and was just a lot of fun!
Cost wasn't the main reason, although it was a consideration, it was more down to where I live ( part of a mountain region in Croatia) so lot's of single ish track roads with up hill tight bends, so that means either ringing it's neck in first or sub 3k rpm in 2nd and not too many places to open it up and take advantage of the power on a daily basis, also it was just too fast for most of the roads out here, you can't be traveling at warp speed on these kinds of roads they're just too bad with way too many variables.

So something smaller lighter with reasonable torque and shorter gearing is the way forward, also driving backwards and forwards to the UK for mot etc is a ball ache.

New cars don't really interest me so I went for a MK1 Golf, well 2/3 actually, one to drive while I fix the other up and a spare shell for parts, when I get one of them like new I'll sell the other on and maybe even make a few quid.
Old 07 January 2017, 03:30 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ditchmyster

You make it sound better than the rover 25...is this possible :P

i thought about selling mine a while back but I enjoy driving it, I could get an M3, RS4, AMG but they do nothing for me in the driving dept...keep it a while longer I suppose
Old 07 January 2017, 03:37 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Ditch put the brandy away xmas is over
Old 08 January 2017, 01:00 AM
JJG
Scooby Regular

Cost???
you wanna try a Range Rover...

£1.5k .......for new front air.struts. Both sides
Old 08 January 2017, 05:03 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja
You make it sound better than the rover 25...is this possible :P

i thought about selling mine a while back but I enjoy driving it, I could get an M3, RS4, AMG but they do nothing for me in the driving dept...keep it a while longer I suppose
Lol, the Rover was a cracking car believe it or not and really well suited to the roads out here, also lots of fun to drive, spent a bit of time looking for one but they were all wrecks or been to the moon, same story with pug 106 rallies / GTI's also people wanted too much money for them and 205's which were all on my list and still available out here, but tbh I'm glad I didn't get any of those now as I think they would be too fast and tempt me into being silly/ taking chances and parts might be an issue.

The good thing about the MK1 Golf 16td is the torque and it pulls up the main hills I drive in 3rd, I can just leave it there and almost drive it like an auto, then if I want to have some fun I can slide it all over the place on the very many greasy mud covered roads around here and I barely go over 40mph. , it's not about top end and big power out here hence the Rover staying in front of the Ferrari, and on the rare occasions you can go fast it's only going to be 80/90 mph max for a few seconds in a powerful car, a well driven good handling car is always going to have the edge because it's not de- stabilised by the off on, power, brakes scenario, you should see some of the cars the guys have out here, they're all car crazy but it's all about handling.

Also they are in plentyful supply still here, which tells you something about how good they are for these roads and is more than can be said for the others on my list, that said I've been driving the non turbo this past week that's not quite so good but still fun, but it's in really good condition and got lots of parts I would have had to source and pay a few hundred quid for, twin headlights, centre console, wind deflectors, rear parcel shelf, nicer sun visors, Alpine tape head unit and a few other little bits and bobs along with a freshly built engine that I may or may not use.

So yeah I'm a happy man and interested in cars again, seriously who amongst car enthusiasts wouldn't want a MK1 Golf and I've got two, ok they're not GTI's but they're still cool, fun and more interesting than most things on the road, to me anyway.